Author Topic: 2016 U.S. Presidential Election  (Read 183679 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: 2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« Reply #405 on: May 06, 2016, 03:56:33 pm »
I imagine this is what it's like: https://youtu.be/1t1OVRfmMik

Update: Seems London's new mayor is Labour. Yep, one idiot to the next. Well done to the people of London. You get what you deserve.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:40:52 pm by Tad »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #406 on: May 07, 2016, 03:51:33 am »
Honestly, does anyone care who shits where? Like, if a woman wants to come in and shit in our shitty mens restroom, ok. Do it.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #407 on: May 07, 2016, 06:03:49 am »
Update: Seems London's new mayor is Labour. Yep, one idiot to the next. Well done to the people of London. You get what you deserve.

Jeremy Corbyn and Sadiq Khan are two completely different type of Labour politicians. He's already an improvement over Boris because he's not going to think moving Heathrow over to the other side of London is a good idea.

Offline Tad

« Reply #408 on: May 07, 2016, 04:39:56 pm »
I get the logic there, but it's sadly not the case. At least with Boris he was a harmless idiot. With Khan though, he's been proven to be quite a dangerous one.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2016, 05:13:14 pm »
I get the logic there, but it's sadly not the case. At least with Boris he was a harmless idiot. With Khan though, he's been proven to be quite a dangerous one.

Khan has never proven to be dangerous.

His political learning are more Blairite than the radical left the current head of Labour is, so I don't see anything wrong with him.

Offline Tad

« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2016, 11:52:33 pm »
He was the one who has torn the Labour party up with his self confessed mistake of nominating Corbyn, he is indeed a Blairite, but that's not a good thing as Blairs antics are now considered to have been quite damaging to the country by many. I personally think Siân Berry would probably have been better.

Thankfully, it doesn't matter too much as London's beyond a joke of capital anyway now.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:17:45 am by Tad »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #411 on: May 08, 2016, 06:59:07 am »
He was the one who has torn the Labour party up with his self confessed mistake of nominating Corbyn, he is indeed a Blairite, but that's not a good thing as Blairs antics are now considered to have been quite damaging to the country by many. I personally think Siân Berry would probably have been better.

Thankfully, it doesn't matter too much as London's beyond a joke of capital anyway now.

There was nothing wrong with nominating Corbyn, it helped give choice in what was otherwise a scale leadership battle. Furthermore Blair is indeed an awful person but that doesn't mean everything that he did was terrible either, the state of the country he and Labour inherited and the state of the country under his leadership is night and day. We've never had such a golden period before and I'm not sure when we'll get another one, definitely not anytime soon.

Living in London and sorry I have to disagree, the capital is a great place to live and grow up in. The only problem is housing value which I think is a massive issue but there are still plenty of areas that have realistic home values. What I think k it reflects however is that wage growth has happened at a fast enough rate but this effects more than just London.

Finishing off with Sian Berry, she have a few good ideas but also attached to it is the Green's environment first policies and closing down City Airport, 20 mph driving zones, congestion charge for ALL of London (Because punishing drivers really is the way to go) which come on, is absolutely bonkers.

Offline Tad

« Reply #412 on: May 09, 2016, 12:24:55 am »
You're lucky if you do over 20mph in London anyway so I don't see that as a problem, but it is a simple but effective method to try and tackle the growing poor air quality in London. They'll never close down airports just because she was mayor and the congestion is a filthy tax anyway.

As for London...it's great if you like it, but personally, I have no love for it nor do I see myself ever going back there. What it offers can easily be found elsewhere and in a much better environment. If you want proof of that, recent studies have shown that quite a few cities around the UK have come out on top of London in many different ways. In terms of best capital in the UK, Cardiff (Wales) comes out on top in almost every department.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:26:53 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #413 on: May 09, 2016, 03:41:38 am »
Here there's about a 5% chance you get charged once you go over 100mph. I still find it pretty stupid.
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #414 on: May 09, 2016, 06:06:11 am »
You're lucky if you do over 20mph in London anyway so I don't see that as a problem, but it is a simple but effective method to try and tackle the growing poor air quality in London. They'll never close down airports just because she was mayor and the congestion is a filthy tax anyway.

As for London...it's great if you like it, but personally, I have no love for it nor do I see myself ever going back there. What it offers can easily be found elsewhere and in a much better environment. If you want proof of that, recent studies have shown that quite a few cities around the UK have come out on top of London in many different ways. In terms of best capital in the UK, Cardiff (Wales) comes out on top in almost every department.

Better yet tackle the technology not the consumer base.  I think it shows how much experience you have in London if you think doing 30 mph is rare, I'm regularly doing that and the only time it falls to that level is if I head into Central London... which is what public transport is for.

It was in her manifesto, don't matter if they would or not it just shows a detachment from reality. Not going to deny the congestion charging isn't terrible but it further proves how bad her ideas are if she thought it was a good idea to push for it all over London not just the centralised areas.

It comes down to personal preferences which city you like more but on average I have to disagree, what you find in London cannot be found easily elsewhere and by that I mean pure multiculturalism. You can't find areas like Southall or China Town easily elsewhere in the UK and in terms of parks, universities, sports entertainment... London just has a monopoly on most of these factors because of its sheer size and population.

That's not to say the other cities such as Edinburgh are bad (which to be honest is a closer rival to London than Cardiff in terms of historical design and heritage) but they have a completely different feel to the city. To describe it as a joke is excessive and people just wouldn't flock to the city if it didn't have anything going for it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:44:47 am by Aki-at »

Offline Tad

« Reply #415 on: May 09, 2016, 06:58:16 am »
It's business and financial pull is its greatest strength from what stats show. Beyond that though, it's been well documented London isn't as great as you may think. The multiculturalism you're talking about hasn't really worked like people think - hence one part being called "china town". Being segregated like that is not a sign of a working cultural mix. It means quite the opposite and the idea of full multiculturalism pushed by Labour back in the Blair days was beyond dumb as it defies the very term culture. Some that share common elements are usually easily to mixable, others not so much. Also, last year, other UK universities started going ahead of some of the best in Europe such as London.

Cardiff is far younger than Edinburgh and London, so it's to be expected, but that doesn't mean it's a bad city without history or merit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:29:25 am by Tad »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #416 on: May 09, 2016, 11:46:05 am »
3 of the top 10 universities are in the UK are found in London, the best continues to be Oxford and Cambridge but to underestimate London's academic ability is wrong when various league table show that education in the capital is still fantastic. Here look at the top 20 universities in the world, two of them are in London and 5 are in the top 100.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34390466

What you perceive as a failure in multiculturalism I do not hold the same opinion as I feel the Chinese are well integrated in London society. Furthermore, I'm not even saying London is the be all end all of the country or the world, however I am pointing out you're severely overlooking most of London's strength.

Offline Tad

« Reply #417 on: May 09, 2016, 12:04:00 pm »
We'll have to disagree there then. I don't mind, the less people know about the rest of the UK the better :)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #418 on: May 09, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »
I never said the rest of the country doesn't have it's benefits and I'm not one who acts like the world ends outside of London. I'm saying it's a great place to live, just like say Southampton or Edinburgh but again it depends what you're looking for in a city.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #419 on: May 09, 2016, 01:11:52 pm »
Cameron suggesting that we're heading to war is got to be one of the funniest thing his ever said.

It's only been a few months since he said he'd be ready to leave the EU unless Britain got the reforms it wanted so his at odds with what he said in the past. Not that I disagree with the sentiment that a united Europe is better for stability, but a lot of things have to go wrong successively for us to be on the verge of war.