Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 236782 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #495 on: March 24, 2017, 09:57:32 am »
Not sure if its an early development stage thing but there's no reticules lock on noise when sonic does the homing attack in the footage. Would be a welcome change imo, but cuz also be an early stage thing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:42:45 am by CrazyT »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #496 on: March 24, 2017, 11:20:00 pm »
Really, Sonic Adventure 2 is great mechanically? What?

The game has so many issues. The story was 'fine' for what it was trying to accomplish, Shadow was actually interesting. But the game had pacing issues due to breaking up gameplay between friends, the later Sonic levels where really badly designed. I feel like the first 2-4 stages of Shadow/Sonic where solid, but you can tell Sonic Team was stretched thin.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:47 pm »

The game has so many issues. The story was 'fine' for what it was trying to accomplish, Shadow was actually interesting. But the game had pacing issues due to breaking up gameplay between friends, the later Sonic levels where really badly designed. I feel like the first 2-4 stages of Shadow/Sonic where solid, but you can tell Sonic Team was stretched thin.

pacing issues?  gameplay broken between friends?   Oh i see, you're another one of those people who say only sonic/shadow levels are good.  see this is the problem with modern sonic, it only focuses on SONIC.
Be like water.

Offline George

« Reply #498 on: March 25, 2017, 06:49:51 pm »
So you're telling the issue with SONIC games is that you play as Sonic and not badly designed friends?

"Wow, Super Mario is bad because you don't play as Toad."

Only Sonic fans.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #499 on: March 25, 2017, 07:11:53 pm »
So you're telling the issue with SONIC games is that you play as Sonic and not badly designed friends?

"Wow, Super Mario is bad because you don't play as Toad."

Only Sonic fans.

well let's look at the last major Sonic title that used multiple characters, Sonic 06. It sold well for being next gen at the time and people were excited to play a 3d sonic game after shadow hogged the spotlight in the game before.  Not counting Sonic Rush, (which was a handheld game that for some odd reason never count like what happens to mario, mega man, or zelda) it was going to be the next good sonic game.  and then they rushed development, added stuff they didn't need to for padding, it was a mess.  They had multiple characters, but the play styles weren't fleshed out and there was nothing to do.  add that to bad load times that happen way too often, big empty spaces with nothing in them, poorly designed levels loaded with glitches, and you have a game that went against all expectations.  It was then that people considered all of Sonic's friends pointless, which in 06 they basically were.  Up until then even in Sonic Heroes, people were ok playing as other characters even in completely different styles.  Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 did that very well.  but ever since Modern Sonic and the story book games after 06, all it's been is just Sonic.  Sonic Boom gave you control of the others again, but didn't utilize it at all.  It was generic as hell.  Again Sonic Boom had a rushed development. 
Be like water.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2017, 08:16:54 pm »

I don't see any problems with the controls however. It's much better to control than Jet Set Radio as an example.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2017, 10:50:17 pm »
I don't see any problems with the controls however. It's much better to control than Jet Set Radio as an example.

Yeah, but everyone is on roller blades in Jet Set Radio. 
Be like water.

Offline George

« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2017, 04:34:49 am »
I'm glad Sonic Team has dropped the friend gameplay, it didn't work and almost killed the brand for a long time. I'm not against them coming back, just as long as the gameplay is good. Sonic Adventure 2 didn't have great ideas for Sonic Friend's gameplay. That's a glaring issue in the games and why it aged badly.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2017, 05:52:51 am »
Yeah, but everyone is on roller blades in Jet Set Radio. 

JSRF is much better and is the best controlling 3d platformers by Sega next to SA2.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2017, 07:23:49 am »
I'm glad Sonic Team has dropped the friend gameplay, it didn't work and almost killed the brand for a long time. I'm not against them coming back, just as long as the gameplay is good. Sonic Adventure 2 didn't have great ideas for Sonic Friend's gameplay. That's a glaring issue in the games and why it aged badly.

I think they could make a game out of Sonic and friends quite easy, but they'd need to seperate it from the "main" series which I think should just be about Sonic.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:27:24 am by Tad »

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2017, 08:14:09 am »
JSRF is much better and is the best controlling 3d platformers by Sega next to SA2.

They do what sequels do best.  Improve on controls.
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:24 am »
I think they could make a game out of Sonic and friends quite easy, but they'd need to seperate it from the "main" series which I think should just be about Sonic.

Well since Sonic Forces isn't doing it, might as well make a Freedom Fighters spinoff.  :p
Be like water.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2017, 09:21:04 am »
They do what sequels do best.  Improve on controls.

When Sega get's a chance to refine stuff, they do it well.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2017, 09:34:40 am »
When Sega get's a chance to refine stuff, they do it well.

yep.  Sonic 2, Shenmue 2, Vector Man 2, Ecco the Dolphin 2....
Be like water.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #509 on: April 13, 2017, 11:14:49 pm »
Never thought about this, but I think George and Barry are right about the third character in Sonic Forces:
https://youtu.be/2GjTU9GuK_s