Author Topic: Shinobi 3DS - SEGA/Gryptonite Games  (Read 44513 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Gryptonite Games making Shinobi 3DS?
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2011, 05:28:25 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Quote from: "Pao"
I'm grasping at straws? I'm not the one who threw in a baseless theory that the Ninjas stole "farm horses" from Oboro villiage, when its obviously a design choice given the art direction.  :|
What's baseless about it? In the first preview, Nintendo Power said that the first level takes place in Oboro village, then they listed the horse riding sequance as taking place in level 1... Baseless nothing, I put two and two togeather...

It simply makes sense that there would be farm horses in villages?...  I'm sorry if you've never seen a farm horse before, I'll get on the phone with god I'll tell him to make farm horses less 'cartoony' and 'western' next time.

What does Bayonetta had to do with anything, its an original IP, not drastically changed sequel/reboot. I'm arguing that the current art direction of the 3DS game is un-shinobi like...while you guys pretend that not much has changed.
Looks like shinobi to me... You make it sound like the Shinobi series has stuck to one art direction all the way through and then in this one it suddenly changed...

Fact is Shinobi series has undergone a ton of changes in art direction, setting, gameplay and even characters...

I'm seeing a Shinobi modeled on Shinobi 3, I'm seeing platforming, I'm seeing wacky bosses, throwing daggers... etc etc, it looks entirely like a Shinobi game. The only real complaint is that the graphics are pretty shit.
Baseless as in; its just an assumption. You assumed there was a farm in Oboro Village that had "Farm Horses", and those Ninjas stole them. Is it impossible? No, but you shouldn't call people who are claiming its obviously cartoony like the rest of the art direction "Grasping at straws" when you just offer an assumption as a counterargument.

Go check the comments on Youtube or Gametrailers on the trailer and tell me no one said the art direction is cartoonish.

And its true the series had inconsistent art direction, but the majority of the titles were fairly similar. Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi 3, GG Shinobi, GG Shinobi II... might had differences in the art style but not as much as a drastic change the 3DS game is bringing.

I'm seeing a Shinobi modeled on Shinobi 3, I'm seeing platforming, I'm seeing wacky bosses, throwing daggers... etc etc, it looks entirely like a Shinobi game. The only real complaint is that the graphics are pretty shit.
Did Shinobi 3 had Juggle Based combat? The very fact that this game is melee based as demonstrated in the trailer just destroys the "Its exactly like Shinobi 3" argument.  I'm not even mentioning the grappling hook or the new magics they implemented. It looks like it plays like the Spiderman games the studio has made in the past (Juggle Combos, Grappling-Hook(web), etc..)

Well, I'm going to drop this argument, it appears that I cannot convince you  to see how much different this game is to the others in the franchise, and I don't want to ruin the parade for those excited for it either. I'm pretty disappointed in everything they have shown and the type of Developer SEGA just handed the franchise to, I just hope Streets of Rage 4 doesn't get the same treatment if it happened.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »
Baseless as in; its just an assumption. You assumed there was a farm in Oboro Village that had "Farm Horses", and those Ninjas stole them. Is it impossible? No, but you shouldn't call people who are claiming its obviously cartoony like the rest of the art direction "Grasping at straws" when you just offer an assumption as a counterargument.
Well yes, it was an asumption... Made no attempt to disguise that. I was simply coming up with a reason why a farm horse is likely whilst a racing horse isn't. I've brought shame upon my family!

Fact is, that's a farm horse... Farm horses are chunkey...

Go check the comments on Youtube or Gametrailers on the trailer and tell me no one said the art direction is cartoonish.
You can check comments on gametrailers that says 'Sega haven't made good games since the Dreamcast' and 'Bayonetta is a shit game' that's the problem with opinions.

Did Shinobi 3 had Juggle Based combat? The very fact that this game is melee based as demonstrated in the trailer just destroys the "Its exactly like Shinobi 3" argument.  I'm not even mentioning the grappling hook or the new magics they implemented. It looks like it plays like the Spiderman games the studio has made in the past (Juggle Combos, Grappling-Hook(web), etc..)
Sounds like you didn't play Shinobi on the gamegear, with the 5 shinobis... each with their own special moves, including grappling hook...

If you want Shinobi to come back then I'm sorry but it's GOING to be reimagined for a modern era, when people think of Ninjas it isnt the 'platforming' they think about, it's combat... So the best thing Sega could possibly do now, to please old Shinobi fans and people that want to play as Ninjas... Is have both.

Well, I'm going to drop this argument, it appears that I cannot convince you  to see how much different this game is to the others in the franchise, and I don't want to ruin the parade for those excited for it either. I'm pretty disappointed in everything they have shown and the type of Developer SEGA just handed the franchise to, I just hope Streets of Rage 4 doesn't get the same treatment if it happened.
I'm not seeing anyone parading, I'm seeing plenty of people that are saying the graphics are pretty poor but it looks close enough to Shinobi to be interested.
Made by SEGA

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Shinobi 3DS - SEGA/Gryptonite Games
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2011, 03:04:17 pm »
The art direction reminds me a bit of Samurai Jack.  Yes, cartoony, but also vibrant and wildly creative.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2011, 03:27:29 pm »
Quote from: "Centrale"
The art direction reminds me a bit of Samurai Jack.  Yes, cartoony, but also vibrant and wildly creative.

I think this is what they were going for with the enviroments but they really need to give the game an extra 3-4 months cooking time and focus soully on improving the graphics.
Made by SEGA

Offline Centrale

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2011, 04:09:41 pm »
Looks like they've got a bit of time, if they're shooting for an end-of-September release.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2011, 05:01:55 pm »
Well yes, it was an asumption... Made no attempt to disguise that. I was simply coming up with a reason why a farm horse is likely whilst a racing horse isn't. I've brought shame upon my family!

Aren't those horses you mentioned specifically Shire Horses? Many farms would still have horses like the ones in Shinobi 3, they aren't specifically bred for racing.

Regardless, I'm willing to wait until I can see it in more detail.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2011, 06:05:51 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

Aren't those horses you mentioned specifically Shire Horses? Many farms would still have horses like the ones in Shinobi 3, they aren't specifically bred for racing.

Regardless, I'm willing to wait until I can see it in more detail.

Shire Horses are bread for farming and for pulling ploughs(sp?)
The horse in Shinobi 3 is pretty much a racing horse, think it even had the white sock things on.

Racing horses are not the kind you just have laying around, there worth tons.

But... regardless that's kind of irrelevant, the point is that the chunkyness of that horse has nothing to do with the art style or being a cartoony horse and everything to do with its real world breed.

Woop poop de doop.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2011, 08:01:57 pm »
Oh yeah, Shire Horses are enourmous from what I understand, made for pulling ploughs etc like you said. I was just saying that farms also have horses that look like the ones in Shinobi 3, I didn't think it looked specifically like a racing horse so much as just a regular horse.

And as we know, horses are the single most crucial aspect of a Shinobi game.

On a serious note, I don't like using the touch screen for magic, that was the worst thing about Thor DS as the touchscreen was really unresponsive.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2011, 06:12:18 pm »
In the end of the day... who gives a shit about the horse? This is like crying that Sonic has green eyes.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2011, 03:48:45 am »
You obviously aren't a true sega nerd fan bits if you don't know the crucial importance of horses in Shinobu.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2011, 04:52:24 am »
After watching the trailer now again after a week, I gotta be honest that the game does indeed look pretty bad. It's not even the graphics that bother me, but the gameplay itself. You can't get alot out of the trailer, but based on what the trailer shows it doesn't do any honor to the genesis masterpieces in any way.

The genesis games were magical and this does not look like it's going to bring that. I mean obviously we're not going to get that as Am7(Overworks) is not involved in this game. I just find it sad how SEGA allow's it's valuable franchises to be treated like this.

It may be too early to conclude such a thing, but trailers are made to blow people away. Trailers should usually make a game look better than it actually is. So yeah that's that.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2011, 05:37:54 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
After watching the trailer now again after a week, I gotta be honest that the game does indeed look pretty bad. It's not even the graphics that bother me, but the gameplay itself. You can't get alot out of the trailer, but based on what the trailer shows it doesn't do any honor to the genesis masterpieces in any way.

What is wrong with the gameplay? Graphics are terrible but I thought the gameplay was good from what I've seen.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2011, 06:15:50 am »
Watch the trailer

[youtube:1wj6fjp4]tFvrzBQjj_I[/youtube:1wj6fjp4]

And now think about how shinobi 3.

Edit: It als doesn't really look that polished, for instance the 3d viewed horse ride and waterslide portions look stiff and not made with too much care.. kinda like the whole game. The impression isn't good
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:24:20 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2011, 06:23:59 am »
Neither does Sonic Colours in either style or gameplay to the classic games. You still liked it though, right?

I do not think this game is going to beat Shinobi 3, but that's hardly a fair yard stick to measure it in, Shinobi 3 is to me the best action game ever made and only Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is ranked higher in my personal favourites.

As for it looking stiff, I think you may be thinking a bit too much.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:35:45 am by Aki-at »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2011, 06:34:36 am »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
Neither does Sonic Colours in either style or gameplay. You still liked it though, right?

I do not think this game is going to beat Shinobi 3, but that's hardly a fair yardstick, Shinobi 3 is to me the best action game ever made and only Sonic 2 is ranked higher in my personal favourites.
That's a good point. I mean i'm not the biggest shinobi fan, but I really love the games too. It doesn't come close to the terrible thing they did with s4e1, but it still feels kinda like the same mentality where they just don't show much importance to the old franchises. It looks solid, i'll admit that. I think i'll probably enjoy it abit, but not more than that.

Hmm

... there will also be no yuzo koshiro, no? :(