Author Topic: Alice Dreams Tournament  (Read 5436 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Alice Dreams Tournament
« on: September 27, 2015, 03:21:41 am »
What is Alice Dreams Tournament you might ask well it is basically Dynamite Dreams!

Some company in Europe had the rights to the name Dynamite Dreams and they forced the games developers to change the name. Since Dynamite Dreams started life as an unlockable mini game for a platformer called Alice Dreams, the developers decided to revert back to the original name and added tournament to it's title. With the trivia out of the way let's have a look at the games Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaGvObl2l4

<strong>Alice Dreams Tournament is a unique Kickstarter in many ways:</strong>

First and foremost this is the first true Dreamcast Kickstarter as Redux, Leona's Tricky Adventure, Pier Solar etc have been PC ports. This is the first game on Kickstarter which has been built on the ground up for Dreamcast.

But that's not all that is unique about Alice Dreams Tournament. This is the first Kickstarter to the best of my knowledge that is not looking to fund it's development. That's right! Alice Team are not looking for you to back their project so that they can develop the game. As we have <a href="http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/news/dcs-2013-in-review-part-iii-the-ones-that-werent-meant-to-be/">reported</a> the games development status has been 90% complete since 2013.

<strong>So why the Kickstarter?</strong>

Well there are a number of reasons.

No publisher is attached to the project. So backers are basically enabling them to handle production responsibilities. Alice Dreams Tournament is possibly the first Kickstarter video game that is looking to fund production instead of development!

In addition to the games physical production, backers also have the opportunity to fund a brand new Dreamcast peripheral.

The VMU lamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b86R3b5SZI

The above video demonstrates an early prototype. The VMU lamp plugs into the rear slot and towers above the VMU illuminating it in the dark. This is an important accessory for the game as their are game modes in Alice Dreams Tournament that utilize the VMU for game play. The lamp is sold for $77/€69 and comes bundled with the collector's edition of the game which costs $55/49€ on it's own.

Lastly for $106/€95 you can be in the game! That's right, similar to what Yuan Works did for Wind &amp; Water: Puzzle Battles. Alice Team will add you into the game as a playable character and you will get a copy of the Collector's edition!

For more information check out this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUzWvhwTffQ

<strong>Anything else</strong>

The Kickstarter launched on 26th September 2015 with a modest goal of e $9,559/8,942€ which was successfully achieved on the first day.

The regular edition for the game can be pre-ordered for $34 ($28 for early birds).

Additionally a 2 disc collector's edition which comes with a beta for the platformer Alice Dreams can be pre-ordered for $55.

Backers who preorder via Kickstarter will also get their name in the games credit.

Since Alice Team has attained their targeted funding they have revealed two stretch goals, "More VMU Interaction" for $14,000 and a"Making off" for $18,000. As of press time Alice Dreams Tournament has attained $15,300.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:15:44 am by cube_b3 »

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Alice Dreams Tournament
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:42 pm »
I'm glad it's funded now, the gameplay looks fun.

Too bad that the packaging didn't contain the swirl logo,
or something to show that it's a dreamcast game.
People could mistaken it for a PC game.

For collectors,
if it has the swirl logo,
it could fit nicely with other dreamcast game collection.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:13:33 am »
No other indie Dreamcast games use the swirl logo, so I don't see a problem with it being absent. Also, it's likely a legal reason. The Dreamcast logo is property of SEGA and cannot be used in that capacity.

Game looks pretty fun, despite being a bomberman clone. At least it looks like they are trying new things with different modes.

The game's title isn't great. What's with Alice anyway? There was Alice's Mom Rescue (also an awful title) and now Alice Dreams Tournament (slightly less awful but still weird).

Offline Berto

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:36:45 am »
No other indie Dreamcast games use the swirl logo, so I don't see a problem with it being absent. Also, it's likely a legal reason. The Dreamcast logo is property of SEGA and cannot be used in that capacity.

Game looks pretty fun, despite being a bomberman clone. At least it looks like they are trying new things with different modes.

The game's title isn't great. What's with Alice anyway? There was Alice's Mom Rescue (also an awful title) and now Alice Dreams Tournament (slightly less awful but still weird).

Yeah, I meant the packaging for all indie Dreamcast games.
I collect Genesis/Megadrive indie games too,
mostly they put megadrive/genesis word on the packaging.
They fit nicely with my other non-indie Megadrive/Genesis collection.

And I don't think SEGA really care anymore if someone put the swirl logo on them,
unless it made tons of money, or tons of awareness (just like SOR Remake).
I guess the indie developer just chose the safest route.

About Alice, I think they tried to make her a mascot or unique identity or something like that.

Offline Berto

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:52:41 pm »

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 03:16:39 am »
Hi,
Thanks for the questions.

The game is a spin off of our platformer Alice Dreams which Alice Team released a beta for a decade ago.

For the spin off the title had been Dynamite Dreams but someone else in Europe reserves the trademark for Dynamite, hence we reverted back to our original title which predates Alice's Mom's Rescue.

Yes, Sega does has not made any objections towards indie developers infringing on their patented packaging we are exploring multiple packaging options at the moment.

More info soon.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:23:12 am by cube_b3 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 11:56:23 am »
You say "we", what are you doing with the game?

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:41:27 pm »
You will have to buy the game and go through the credits to find out :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:16:56 am by cube_b3 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »
Why can't you say what part you're playing?