Author Topic: Sega fiscal report good news very good news...  (Read 42190 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Sega fiscal report good news very good news...
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:58:16 am »
Sega Sammy reported financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31 2013 today, noting a net profit of ¥33.5 billion, which converts to $331 million. The figure represents annual growth of 53.3 percent. However, the company's operating profit decreased year-on-year by 67.3 percent, down now to ¥19.1 billion, or $189 million.

While Sega Sammy made significant net profit, largely through gains on the sales of "investment securities" and transfers of employees' pension benefits, the company noted decreased demand for packaged games in light of global economics. Sega Sammy said it must adapt to a market leaning towards games on social networks and smartphones.

That decreased demand was coupled with a year of restructuring at Sega Sammy's US and European divisions. With less games coming out as a result, it's no surprise Sega Sammy saw decline in packaged software shipments, down to 10.8 million overall. They include 1.31 million units of the critically panned Aliens: Colonial Marines, as well as 1.36 million for Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed and 940,000 for Football Manager 2013. Meanwhile, Yakuza 5 shipped 590,000 units since its launch in Japan in December 2012.

Sega Sammy's biggest success gaming-wise looks to be Phantasy Star Online 2. The PC and Vita MMO has a subscription base of over 2.5 million now, and the company said revenue from in-game purchasable items "exceeded forecasted levels."

Sega Sammy forecasts it will ship 11 games on PC, 7 on Wii U, 7 on PS3, 6 on 3DS, 5 on Vita, 4 on Xbox 360, and 2 on PSP in the fiscal year ending March 31 2014 - of course there'll be some crossover there. The company estimates a 41 percent growth in net profit for the next fiscal year, up to ¥47 billion, or $464 million.

Update: Sports Interactive's Miles Jacobson tweets Football Manager 2013 has now passed the 1 million mark for sales, having done so five months earlier than FM2012 did.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/10/sega-sammy-posts-fiscal-net-profit-aliens-colonial-marines-shi/
Many implications from this, in the case of A:CM it poses several. Sonic ASR also indicates that this might me the most succesful non mario related sonic game in the third party sega era. and the PC trends is the most strongest of all in the consumer division. Wonder if COH can sell strong once its released.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:01:50 am by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sega fiscal report good news very good news...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:32:29 am »
Big thanks for this tip! Just news'd it. So, do we know what's to come?

11 games on PC - Company of Heroes 2, Total War: Rome 2, 2013 Sonic game
7 on Wii U - 2013 Sonic game
7 on PS3 - Sakatsuku: Let's Make a Pro Soccer Club, 2013 Sonic game
6 on 3DS - 2013 Sonic game
5 on Vita - Sakatsuku: Let's Make a Pro Soccer Club, 2013 Sonic game
4 on Xbox 360 - 2013 Sonic game
2 on PSP -

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:10:13 am »
^

Don't forget the Mickey game.

What I`m thinking is gonna come out:
Digital titles (Sega Heritage, Arcade ports, an original title or 2)
Sonic 2013
Aliens from CA
For the domestic market:
Yakuza
RPGs
Miku

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:11:14 am »
I wasn't sure if those numbers included digital. But if they do then that fills in a few gaps for sure. I can see a few more vintage collection and heritage titles for sure

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 10:05:06 am »
those numbers are physical SKU numbers, not game numbers. just ask Aki. I updated the front page so people know.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 10:09:23 am »
so if the new sonic game doesn't come on vita, which i kinda have my doubts it will, that means SEGA has lots of JP exclusive games planned for Vita, probably a lot of RPG's! just like with PSP

Offline Trippled

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:15:53 pm »
Hopefully it isn't just crappy Shining games.

Offline SEGA_Portuguese

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:18:17 pm »
This guy is saying that thing are not good for SEGA. What he is saying makes sense or is just garbage ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192076/Segas_video_game_business_is_still_not_coping_with_change.php

Offline Trippled

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »
I have a feeling that Virtua Tennis 5 might come out.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 02:25:12 pm »
This guy is saying that thing are not good for SEGA. What he is saying makes sense or is just garbage ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192076/Segas_video_game_business_is_still_not_coping_with_change.php

Looks like garbage to me.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »
I think sonic racing transformed may keep some healthy sales if the wii u playerbase keeps growing. Wonder how much better transformed has done in comparison to the previous game within the same timespan. Also I wonder how they're japanese launch will be, cuz I kind of have the feeling the DLC characters for us are gonna be launch characters in the japan release. The reason why I think this is because hatsune miku and ryo hazuki won the survey. Would be amazing if they promoted that part in selling such an amazing game.

That's what mattered to me most. I really want sonic transformed to succeed because it's such a gem imo. Though all dislike of SEGA's decisions and mistakes with colonial marines, I hope they made back some of the money and have learned from some of the mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:31:17 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 03:00:31 pm »
cuz I kind of have the feeling the DLC characters for us are gonna be launch characters in the japan release. The reason why I think this is because hatsune miku and ryo hazuki won the survey. Would be amazing if they promoted that part in selling such an amazing game.

Was thinking the same thing.

However if they want sales to truely explode, they need to throw Sakura and Kazuma in there.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »
Lots of things to go through, cannot give my full thoughts since I am a bit busy but will quickly try to go with some rough guesses. Before I carry on, please note 1 sku is for a release in US/Europe/Asia. So Valkyria Chronicles would be 3 skus, Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed would be 2 and Yakuza 5 would be 1;

Playstation 3 (1 sku between Apr - Sep) - Let's Make A... game (Slated for Autumn) and SEGA has a target of 150,000 units from it, roughly.

Playstation 3 (6 sku between Oct - Mar) I assume Sonic will take 3 skus as the series always receives an international release, let's say then that Miku might be the other 2 skus which is probably likely at this point. We have one sku left, which could be a Japan exclusive title indicating Yakuza. In this period SEGA expects to sell 1,170,000, which would seem conservative with the titles I've indicated.

NOTE: Alternatively, Miku could be Yakuza 5 for US/Euro... Pretty please? : (

Xbox360 (No sku between Apr - Sep, 4 sku between Oct - Mar) Again assuming that Sonic is the 3 skus, perhaps the single sku might be a console release in Japan of one of SEGA's arcade titles like Virtual On? In anycase with an estimation of about 690,000 units sold for the FY2014, its easy to estimate that at least 500,000 of those sales is from the new Sonic game.

Wii U (3 sku between Apr - Sep) no idea what this game can be at all but SEGA expects only sales of 170,000 units. Perhaps a late port of an international release? Fits with the 3 skus, it's a bit late now to announce a major new game and release it in September I think... The only series that could be announced by SEGA with relatively little fanfare to be me would be Monkey Ball.

Wii U (4 skus between Oct - Mar) 3 are no doubt once again, Sonic. But the single sku? Again could be a Japan only title. Expecting sales of 780,000, so either that one sku is a massive title for one region or SEGA expects a great chunk of the next Sonic game to sell a large amount of its sales to the Wii U fanbase.

PC (5 sku between Apr - Sep) Company of Heroes releases in Asia, so I'd imagine that takes 3 sku whilst the other 2 would belong to Rome II (Just announced to release in September recently) though I think expecting 860,000 units is really really conservative by SEGA considering the sales history of both Company of Heroes and Total War. Perhaps an indication they expect most sales to go to digital stores instead of packaged goods?

PC (6 sku between Oct - Mar) Football Manager 2014 will no doubt be 2 more sku, while the other 4 sku, perhaps 2 could be Creative Assembly's Warhammer title to be released between Jan - Mar 2014?

SEGA expects to sell 1,720,000 on PC which again seems low to me.

3DS (0 sku between Apr - Sep, 6 sku between Oct - Mar) Again, if we believe Sonic will have a major title out, that would leave us with 3 more skus. 1 is most certainly Project Mirai 2 so that leaves us with a further 2 sku and I cannot fathom what they would be, perhaps a Puyo game? SEGA expects 980,000 of sales from the 3DS, I'd expect about 70% to be solely from Sonic.

PSV (1 sku between Apr - Sep) Let's Make A... Vita version and SEGA expects that title to sell 40,000 units.

PSV (4 sku between Oct - Mar) If again we presume Sonic takes 3 sku, we are again left with 1
sku which can be anyone of the following games in Japan; A new Miku title, PSO2 Ep. II for Vita or a Samurai and Dragon game. Expecting to sell 610,000 though would make a new Miku title more likely if you ask me.

PSP (2 sku between Apr - Mar) considering the 2 sku are in both Q1-2 and Q1-4 and predicting sales of an additional 20,000 by SEGA, I'd imagine these are late Q2 releases. Strangely it won't be Football Manager (Which had PSP releases every year since the PSP was announced) so no idea what this title can be.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 06:10:48 pm »
Actually, ignore me talking about a Japanese Yakuza title for PS3, forgot Nagoshi has already indicated that the team is working on a Playstation 4 game (Though he never did confirm if it was Yakuza or not... Just trolled Shenmue fans by saying "We are working on a Playstation 4 game and it is NOT Shenmue!" LOL!)

Offline max_cady

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 06:35:47 pm »
I'm kinda weary of SEGA betting on the Wii-U as of right now. 3 possible exclusive titles...
I mean they already shoved the Aliens: CM WiiU port under the rug, so having 7 titles, is kinda risky seeing how the next-gen consoles are right around the corner.

Just to be sure, SKU's are physical games, correct? Digital-only titles don't count?
If so, I can only assume SEGA's got at least 4 possible multi-platform titles, hopefuly they'll show 'em at E3. We don't have any major info, safe to say that Sonic 2013 is going to be one of those titles.

But like I said before, the Wii U feels like developer poison, right now...