Author Topic: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?  (Read 81071 times)

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Re: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 12:27:33 pm »
You know, the reason why Nintendo's games get higher scores in general could also be because Nintendo is just really good at making games. :V

Also, like it was pointed out before, every platform has some websites/magazines that are biased towards it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 01:04:16 pm »
Yes for the most part I believe so (And Japan I guess?)

It's pretty normal to have bias in this industry. EDGE give UK developers high scores because well, they have a British bias.

We were talking about this the other day that people who grew up on Sonic games can't get into Mario games and vice versa. This isn't some sort of massive conspiracy that Nintendo selectively controls all forms of media, it just so happens they had a decent period of dominance in the US, likewise I'm not saying certain companies don't get favourable reviews either. The majority of Sonic's high scores these past few years have mainly come from European magazines and sites, games like Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic 4 Episode 1 enjoy a decent metacritic thanks to how popular Sonic was in Europe. Normally you'd have a point if the spread was evenly match from one game to another but Spencer found European outlets usually gave SEGA an additional 8 - 10 points I believe.

(Yes you can tell me SEGA has a European bias and I'd have no problem agreeing to that. I've stated my position on this subject before.)

To be fair, I was talking about classic Sonic games only. They seem to eat up Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and other stuff for example.

I can see your point about the different fanbases and different areas of popularity for the publishers, but I personally very rarely feel they are treated with favourable scores or treament compared to other developers and publishers. I think games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed et.al.  are far more guilty of receiving inflated scores than Nintendo titles. Except when the journalists decide they need a scapegoat for click-bait or to make the other scores seem more legitimate and crucify a big title.

But yes, I understand better what you are talking about, it's something to think about definitely. As I said, I probably am insulated from it since I haven't visited gaming sites outside of forums for a long, long time.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2015, 01:27:05 pm »
To be fair, I was talking about classic Sonic games only. They seem to eat up Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and other stuff for example.

I can see your point about the different fanbases and different areas of popularity for the publishers, but I personally very rarely feel they are treated with favourable scores or treament compared to other developers and publishers. I think games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed et.al.  are far more guilty of receiving inflated scores than Nintendo titles. Except when the journalists decide they need a scapegoat for click-bait or to make the other scores seem more legitimate and crucify a big title.

But yes, I understand better what you are talking about, it's something to think about definitely. As I said, I probably am insulated from it since I haven't visited gaming sites outside of forums for a long, long time.

Just so we're clear, you know when I was talking about the major three players left I meant in publishing, IE EA, Activision and Ubisoft, right? : P

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2015, 02:10:16 pm »
Just so we're clear, you know when I was talking about the major three players left I meant in publishing, IE EA, Activision and Ubisoft, right? : P

Did I get mixed up somewhere on the path here? :<

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2015, 02:41:38 pm »
You know, the reason why Nintendo's games get higher scores in general could also be because Nintendo is just really good at making games. :V

Yes and No. Nintendo makes good games but also some of the good games (being a sequel, a new IP with a long-tim used concept, etc.) get more recognitision than they deserved, I mean, really, Mario Kart 7 was an "excellent" game? It's a good game afterall but it's nothing more than Mario Kart Wii 2.0 portable edition and doesn't prove anything remarkable . A score of 9/10 or 4/5 is not well deserved.

I can't say the same about MK8 because it's deserve that's score but also has less options than any racing game in the market. No perfect or "97-98" score was necessary. They used that score for only managed a bit the Metacritic score and it's obvious why they do that.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2015, 03:00:31 pm »
Yes and No. Nintendo makes good games but also some of the good games (being a sequel, a new IP with a long-tim used concept, etc.) get more recognitision than they deserved, I mean, really, Mario Kart 7 was an "excellent" game? It's a good game afterall but it's nothing more than Mario Kart Wii 2.0 portable edition and doesn't prove anything remarkable . A score of 9/10 or 4/5 is not well deserved.

I can't say the same about MK8 because it's deserve that's score but also has less options than any racing game in the market. No perfect or "97-98" score was necessary. They used that score for only managed a bit the Metacritic score and it's obvious why they do that.
I think the problem is that you're putting a magnifying glass on nintendo games specifically.

Mario kart is a good example though. But if you think mario kart 7 and 8 are just sligjhtly diffrrent then mk wii then im not sure how much you played each game. On the lack of content i can give you that. But in context of everything nowadays you cant really point at anyone. I mean we have call of duty games with 5 hour campaigns, where all the meat lies in online, similarly to mk. But why cod keeps scoring good averages isnt because of bias wouldnt you think?

I would hope most reviewers score their games around how much fun they're having. And if the content is satisfying the needs. And if there's a sene of fulfillment in the end. All the other technicalities are nice to point out, but I think thats why some written reviews dont allign well to the endscore.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2015, 03:19:18 pm »
I think the problem is that you're putting a magnifying glass on nintendo games specifically.

Mario kart is a good example though. But if you think mario kart 7 and 8 are just sligjhtly diffrrent then mk wii then im not sure how much you played each game. On the lack of content i can give you that. But in context of everything nowadays you cant really point at anyone. I mean we have call of duty games with 5 hour campaigns, where all the meat lies in online, similarly to mk. But why cod keeps scoring good averages isnt because of bias wouldnt you think?

I would hope most reviewers score their games around how much fun they're having. And if the content is satisfying the needs. And if there's a sene of fulfillment in the end. All the other technicalities are nice to point out, but I think thats why some written reviews dont allign well to the endscore.

But what happen if there's an ammount of racing genre releases in single year...what makes different one from another?Being Nintendo or not? Have fun with a kart racer or simulation arcade one? It's all subjetical but things like features(modes,options,customization), interactivity and "things going forward in the right way" are important.

About Mario Kart (I put MK for Mortal Kombat btw), Double Dash introduce such a good mechanic with the double pairing driving that make the game more deep than ever. It would be cool if they were replying that with the Wii one as an option but they streamlined so much that it almost felt apart with ASR being better.

I don't try to be conspirative or not, but you can always see much reviews that put Nintendo games as a holy grail with no errors/bugs and a perfect evolution". I don't say this without a relliable source btw.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2015, 03:27:17 pm »
Nintendo's newer games certainly aren't a "perfect evolution" of their previous games (and I don't usually see reviewers call them that), but their games are usually incredibly polished. I can't recall any of their games being buggy.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2015, 04:55:20 pm »
Yeah, I don't know how that is a fanboy comment. What company am I defending and fanboying for exactly with that comment?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2015, 08:18:59 am »
Yeah, I don't know how that is a fanboy comment. What company am I defending and fanboying for exactly with that comment?

Which post are you referring to?

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2015, 08:54:49 am »
Because you guys love sales so much: the game seems to have a good first day in Japan.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2015, 09:20:14 am »
Because you guys love sales so much: the game seems to have a good first day in Japan.

Psycho Pass nooooooooooooooooo! : (

[spoiler]I only liked the first season of the anime[/spoiler]

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2015, 09:28:49 am »
Did I read that right, 80% sell through?

Oh shit, they printed too few copies.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2015, 09:32:33 am »
Did I read that right, 80% sell through?

Oh shit, they printed too few copies.

The game was expected to sell well, they've been marketing it well but I don't think they expected it to get to 200,000 units so quickly.

Thought the game would do between 200k - 250k in Japan personally, though looking at sales now, 350k - 400k seems doable. Not sure how much further from that.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »
You guys are going to chew my head off for this but after playing Splatoon for about an hour I can safely say this game feels more like a Sega game than anything Sega has released in the past decade.

If you released this on the dreamcast alongside chu chu rocket and samba de amigo during the early 2000's, no one would have blinked twice.