Author Topic: Sony labels the Playstation Vita a 'Legacy platform'  (Read 10839 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Sony labels the Playstation Vita a 'Legacy platform'
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:19:25 pm »

House also cast a dim view of the company's handheld business. While he noted that the Vita platform remains "strong and vibrant" in Asia and Japan, his outlook for the current fiscal year included declines in the US and Europe. Additionally, he referred to the PlayStation Vita and its microconsole counterpart the PlayStation TV as "legacy platforms" when discussing a write-off of hardware components for the two.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1052855

Modern day equvaliant to SEGA's Bernie Stolar saying "The Saturn is not our future".

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Re: Sony labels the Playstation Vita a 'Legacy platform'
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:32:01 pm »
One of the main reasons I'm hesitant to buy a PS4. While I know they'll never stop supporting it in favor of another console, well, until PS5 anyways.. I just can't forgive them for having dropped support of the Vita. I don't appreciate having spent $200+ for a PS4 add-on, it's a load of shit.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:05:44 pm »
Except the Saturn actually had some games.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:14:05 am »
Guys, but Hatsune Miku is on the Vita, and it's a Sega game. Stop hating Sega you guys, guys, seriously stop it.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:39:17 am »
Except the Saturn actually had some games.

I'd take issue with the idea that the Vita doesn't have any games.

Just on the Vita there's:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Persona 4: Golden
Danganronpa 1/2
Tearaway
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
Child of Light
Dragon's Crown
Rayman Origins/Legends
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Freedom Wars
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Then Cross-Buy games like: 
Guacamelee
Shovel Knight
Velocity Ultra 2X
Grim Fandango
Hotline Miami 1/2
Steamworld Dig
Luftrausers
Sound Shapes
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Plus, access to all the Digital PSP games like:
Valkyria Chronicles 2 & 3
Crush
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Patapon
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Persona 1-3
GTA: Liberty/Vice City Stories
Half-Minute Hero

And then all the PSOne classics like:
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX
Vib Ribbon
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Suikoden I/II
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
Spyro 1-3
Grandia
Resident Evil 1-3
Strider 2

On top of all that, I've tried out the remote play feature since just getting the PS4, and it works much better than I was expecting. It's pretty surreal to be playing something that looks like Infamous: Second Son on a portable system.

Edit:
Also this article, where Sony clarifies they were talking about the discontinued Gen 1 Vita, and are still supporting the device going forward
http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/27/sony-clarifies-legacy-platform-statement-our-portable-business-will-be-continued/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:14:13 am by SOUP »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:05:39 pm »
I respect your opinion Soup, but a list of reashes rereleases and ports isn't going to convice me..
The Saturn has many experiences that to this day are still exclusive.

As I said when the thing came out, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It has good games, but nothing truly fresh.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:33:57 pm »
Really sad how sony treated it. My brother loves the vita and convinced us all to own one. But even he sold his vita. I still got mine tho.

I had a lot of admiration for sony when it came to ps3. Likewise now im having a lot of admiration for nintendo with tje wii u, but sony's attitude towards the vita has been really shite

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:04 pm »
I respect your opinion Soup, but a list of reashes rereleases and ports isn't going to convice me..
The Saturn has many experiences that to this day are still exclusive.

Fair enough.
You'll definitely get your money's worth with the system if you do decide to pick one up. Especially if you own other Sony platforms, with the benefits of Playstation Plus, Cross-buy, Cross-save, and remote play.

That said, I'm with CrazyT when it comes to disappointment with Sony as far as first party support goes.

Smaller publishers like Atlus, NIS, XSEED, Aksys, DrinkBox and other indies are absolutely killing it though.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:09:35 pm »
Really sad how sony treated it. My brother loves the vita and convinced us all to own one. But even he sold his vita. I still got mine tho.

I had a lot of admiration for sony when it came to ps3. Likewise now im having a lot of admiration for nintendo with tje wii u, but sony's attitude towards the vita has been really shite

It's a shrinking market that's dominated by Nintendo for the last million years, I think they supported it pretty well all things considered.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 02:39:28 pm »
It's a shrinking market that's dominated by Nintendo for the last million years, I think they supported it pretty well all things considered.
The situation imo for both is kind of the same. Nintendo has mildly succes with handheld and a failing console. Sony has a succesful console and a failing handheld. I dont feel like theyve tried enough. Or perhaps effort has been wasted because the results werent there for the games. It makes you realize how dependent sony is to 3rd parties. Cuz nothing they made was too interesting to me. The stuff i own is mostly 3rd party. Strangely it got me appreciating minecraft lol.

But in a different reality sony would actually believe in being able to revive it. How gullible it may sound, I would admire that. But it seems they dont really care.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 03:12:24 pm »
How could the Vita be such a failure when it had such magnificent ads as this??? /sarcasm

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 03:13:34 pm »
^Heh, I like it.

Offline Moody

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 03:20:18 pm »
It's literally an ad that puts mutant titties on a woman's back and says "this is the Vita!"

I'm into some weird shit alright but anyone who thinks back titties sounds good is fucked up.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »
It's literally an ad that puts mutant titties on a woman's back and says "this is the Vita!"

I'm into some weird shit alright but anyone who thinks back titties sounds good is fucked up.

Sega used to realate playing Mega Drive to masturbating too much. They also to imply the Sega Saturn causes you to shit yourself.

It's just an attention grabber really.

Offline Moody

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 03:28:09 pm »
OK, you got me there.

But still, back titties.