Author Topic: Brock Crocodile - Has now been Greenlit (See latest post)  (Read 62943 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Brock Crocodile - Has now been Greenlit (See latest post)
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:50:54 am »
Because I really need a development log or somewhere to ramble on about my game, the problems I face and everything else, so without further ado, time to roll out the SEGAbits post for Brock Crocodile.

Webiste: www.brockcrocodile.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/brockcrocodile

What is Brock Crocodile?: Brock Crocodile is a platformer game that takes a lot of inspiration from a lot of classic platformers from the late 1980s/1990s. The game stars a red crocodile who adventures from ruins to massive museum to a mechanical base set in a volcano.
How are you developing it?: The game is being developed using Clickteam's Multimedia Fusion 2 which most people on this board ought to know is responsible for a good amount of Sonic fangames.

What platform will it be on and when?: Windows is currently the only place it will be released and I'm aiming for sometime in mid-2015.

How far are you done?: In terms of content I'd say about 30% complete.

Gameplay: Brock Crocodile is split between the two towns the player can visit to purchase powerups and the levels Brock must complete to progress the story. The game is designed in a linear fashion but the players can always revisit the stages to find whatever they overlooked. In the stages, Brock will be able to use his whip to take out baddies and use it to swing across pitfalls or interact with the background. If you prefer long distance combat, no problem! Brock comes packed with a fruitgun too, which can either dish out one of your five a day or take down some goons.

Levels: There's going to be a lot of variety in terms of both level design and art direction of the levels. Going with stage specific gimmicks to help each level stand out a bit more.
Level 1: Gazadiaz Ruins

Level 2: Beehive Battleship
The Villians
Because we need more boss battles and more multiple types of baddies in games. The baddies are going to range all sorts of size, from the bee people who are shorter than Brock, to apes that are twice his sizes to bosses from mechas, giant turtles with plasma cannons and more.

Demo is actually done and I'll probably be releasing it soon, I just want to fix up the title screen. In the mean time, here, watch the trailer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMr78No5GpQ

EDIT: New trailer March 12th 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e19dduUBBns

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:50:20 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Game is awesome. Gonna move this topic to gaming.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Damn, you perfected the swing.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Because this needs to be stated, is PC all major OS's?

Or is it just your term for "Windows"

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
Game is awesome. Gonna move this topic to gaming.

Thanks Shadi, I was unsure where to put it on, for some reason I felt uneasy dumping it here but it makes the most sense!

Damn, you perfected the swing.

It's a lot more fluid and it doesn't break the player's momentum, I think you'll be satisfied with the change.

Because this needs to be stated, is PC all major OS's?

Or is it just your term for "Windows"

Right now it's being developed for Windows, sorry I should have made that clearer, edited.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
No need to apologize hehehe

A lot of people use the term as such even today (PC/Mac/Linux). But since a few games have started bucking that trend I just needed to be sure. I still run windows mostly for school purposes so it wouldn't have effected me either way.

I'm just a weird person like that. Game looks great!

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
I really like how much this reminds me of Sonic Advance games. Will be supporting this when it's done Aki.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
Maaaaan, this is looking NEAT. Totally gonna play this on my sexy new PC when its out. Unless you somehow manage to pull off a Dreamcast port....? :P

Offline George

I wanted a Master System port, it looks like a Master System game imo. Would be awesome to play on the unit.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
I remember talking to you about this game years ago, so great to see it realised. It looks fantastic!

I'm really very impressed and can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Brock Crocodile - Aki makes a platformer because we need more crocodiles.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:22:04 am »
I've been tweeting progress on the game, but I hadn't said anything in the forums. Looking great, man! And from what I've heard from my friend working on the music, it's gonna sound great too.

Nice to see somebody not just talking about a game, but actually delivering on it!

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 06:18:59 pm »
No need to apologize hehehe

A lot of people use the term as such even today (PC/Mac/Linux). But since a few games have started bucking that trend I just needed to be sure. I still run windows mostly for school purposes so it wouldn't have effected me either way.

I'm just a weird person like that. Game looks great!

Thanks for the kind words! Indeed I didn't want to make any false promises at the beginning so I changed it straight away, although I'd love to get it on as many platforms are possible. Hopefully in future I might be able to get it on Mac too (Multimedia Fusion 2 has an iOS exporter but from reviews it seems to be pretty rough.) but as it is Windows for now.

I really like how much this reminds me of Sonic Advance games. Will be supporting this when it's done Aki.

Heh, can I ask what makes you think of Sonic Advance and not classic Genesis platformers? Just interested in knowing, glad you like it so far.

Maaaaan, this is looking NEAT. Totally gonna play this on my sexy new PC when its out. Unless you somehow manage to pull off a Dreamcast port....? :P

I wanted a Master System port, it looks like a Master System game imo. Would be awesome to play on the unit.

Guys let me complete the game first haha, I'll be honest if I could get a Dreamcast release it'd be one of my dream come true!

I remember talking to you about this game years ago, so great to see it realised. It looks fantastic!

I'm really very impressed and can't wait to see the finished product.

Yeah, I remember starting it way back in 2009, finally getting there and hopefully it'll be ready next year, glad you liked it Mang, finally Crocodile Dundee has meet his match.

I've been tweeting progress on the game, but I hadn't said anything in the forums. Looking great, man! And from what I've heard from my friend working on the music, it's gonna sound great too.

Nice to see somebody not just talking about a game, but actually delivering on it!

Yeah Steve has been brilliant on the project, the first level track works perfectly well with what I want, shame there are some tracks (https://soundcloud.com/ap0c/demo-reel-1/s-YA6oj < The middle one) I want to be expanded but it suits a desert level, which just so happens to be one of the level tropes that actually don't feature in this game! Thanks for the kind words Barry!

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 06:42:19 pm »
So I've been working less on the levels and more on the hub section of the game. Looking at the dialogue box (Which was just a plain grey box.) I've changed it to be a black box with a white outline but I think the best change was adding a portrait to show off the NPCs, it forces me to do a bit more work but I think the pay off will be better characterisation as a whole for the project!

Obviously they'll be loads more still to design, I think I'll have to make another 40 odd faceshots, taking a note from the Shining Force book too, the mugshots will be blinking/talking when their speaking to Brock.

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »
Why are all the women human and all the men 'animal based'?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 07:12:54 pm »
Why are all the women human and all the men 'animal based'?

It is an artistic statement to showcase that men are uncivilized animals and truly women are the superior sex that will lead the huwomen race into a glorious utopian future.

Really the tiger in the middle is a girl, they'll be other non-humans but I prefer drawing female humans.