9 (29%)
SEGA Saturn
9 (29%)
SEGA dreamcast
11 (35.5%)
Other
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Favourite SEGA console (not design)  (Read 17944 times)

Offline Dreampool

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Favourite SEGA console (not design)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 03:46:27 pm »
Dreamcast. It was the first console I bought with my own money. The unique library of games blew my mind.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 03:41:04 am »
Dreamcast. It was the first console I bought with my own money. The unique library of games blew my mind.
Nice. Welcome to the forums!
SEG4GES

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 06:29:50 pm »
Mmh ... I seemed to have already participated in the survey in the past, maybe I'd only done but with the thought ...
So, I voted for MD, my first SEGA console, if I think more deeply each SEGA console has at least one reason why I might prefer it.

Thus W the nostalgia!
SEGA STYLE

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 09:44:01 am »
I know I probably said Dreamcast earlier in this thread, but to be honest by this point I can't really decide. Mega Drive/Genesis is a 16-bit powerhouse with a large library of fantastic games. Saturn is a tough nut to crack but once you do a little research you find some of SEGA's greatest games including top of the line 2D games (shame SEGA of America didn't push this aspect) and some surprising 3D games (NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon).

Dreamcast was and is the first console to have 3D graphics with nothing holding the gameplay back, character models represented exactly what they were meant to be representing (no blocking blobs of polygons) and environments were immersive and recognizable (no fog, minimal pop-up). If the Genesis nailed 2D gaming and the Saturn perfected 2D, the Dreamcast nailed 3D gaming in a way that the Saturn never could... but looking back I don't think the Saturn ever was meant to. I blame the aspirations of SEGA's executives who tried to make the Saturn into a machine that it really was not.

Basically:
Master System: serviceable 2D games with some gems, but most were held back by hardware limitations
MD/Genesis: nailed 2D gaming, made attempts at 3D gaming with expansions but largely failed at this
Saturn: perfected 2D gaming, attempted 3D gaming with some successes but not many
Dreamcast: nailed 3D gaming and carried on perfecting 2D gaming, however 2D was never a focus

The SMS is the only SEGA console that I can really point to as being less than great, while the other three all shine in their own ways.

Offline NiGHTSDrEAMS

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 10:32:20 am »
I am being a little biased, so my opinion can only go so far. But I have sided with the SEGA Saturn, which I believe was one of the most under rated  systems even made. Not only do I think the graphic's for its time were elegant but very fluent. On top of that it was one of the first systems to present something that every system use's which is a home screen. Also the system provided internet with its  Sega NetLink. On top of all of that it had one of the greatest game library's, games such as NiGHTS into Dreams :P , all the Virtua Fighters (yes even kids), Vritua Cop 1 & 2, Fighters MegaMix, Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon serious and on.

(But in the End all the Sega systems in my opinion where excellent) ;)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 09:48:58 am »
The SMS is the only SEGA console that I can really point to as being less than great, while the other three all shine in their own ways.

Ah, Barry, you know you really make my 8-bit heart ache saying such a thing. The Master System is an absolute beastlord with a killer library. I'd like to give you a list of games to check out... of course any Master System fan will have slightly different lists of the best of the best.

Offline Deefy

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 09:54:37 pm »
Ah, Barry, you know you really make my 8-bit heart ache saying such a thing. The Master System is an absolute beastlord with a killer library. I'd like to give you a list of games to check out... of course any Master System fan will have slightly different lists of the best of the best.

Barry is probably a bit too young to fully appreciate the Master System ...  :)) of course I'm joking, I'm not at all underestimating your videogaming culture, Barry, especially when it comes to SEGA.

Then it's also true that the Master System was most successful and had more widespread in Europe than in the US.
SEGA STYLE

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 03:32:12 am »
Every day I get baffled by kids (in Portugal) that say the NES days must have been sweet. Nigga, there were no NES days in Portugal. We went from ZXSpectrum to SMS to MegaDrive
SEG4GES

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »
Were there any others? I thought these were the only home consoles. Genesis, by the way.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 11:10:00 pm »
Were there any others? I thought these were the only home consoles. Genesis, by the way.

Assuming both SG-1000 and SG-1000 II went into Master System/MarkIII category,
there are still three more : SEGA Pico, Advanced Pico Beena, and Beena Lite.

Offline Deefy

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2016, 12:20:42 am »
Every day I get baffled by kids (in Portugal) that say the NES days must have been sweet. Nigga, there were no NES days in Portugal. We went from ZXSpectrum to SMS to MegaDrive

Whoa! ZXSpectrum = SMS = MegaDrive, pretty much the same PC/console transition that I did too, although the first two were not strictly my property.
SEGA STYLE

Offline pcm92

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2017, 09:15:59 pm »
The Dreamcast was one of the most underrated consoles. Playstation came out just barely a year later. It played DVDs and the graphics were much better, leaving the Dreamcast to die very quickly in the West.

The one thing I don't understand is why the Dreamcast did not come with a zapper. That would have helped its popularity, along with the DVD thing. Sega 32x and Sega Saturn shouldn't have ever been made.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »
*never been made.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 12:52:36 pm »
To me the PS2's graphics had a more grainy, pixelated look than Dreamcast graphics. Probably because I was using the VGA adapter for the DC back in the day.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 03:27:53 pm »
To me the PS2's graphics had a more grainy, pixelated look than Dreamcast graphics. Probably because I was using the VGA adapter for the DC back in the day.

I've been playing Yakuza 2 and damn, PS2 graphics on standard video out looks really shitty.