Author Topic: PSO2 New Planet - Earth?  (Read 8023 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
PSO2 New Planet - Earth?
« on: December 23, 2015, 07:51:26 pm »

Not exactly, but a twisted version of it, it seems... Zombies, Zombie Dinosaurs, Zombie Tanks and Zombie Steam rollers.... Final boss... A sort of... bullet train, transformer zombie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj49eS4sxeU
Made by SEGA

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: PSO2 New Planet - Earth?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 08:25:07 pm »
Episode 4....had no idea we were at that stage.

Maybe someday Episode 1 shall arrive, but this certainly looks nifty and super crazy.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 08:53:34 pm »
PSO2 in a modern city setting reminds me of how weird it was seeing Sonic in Station Square back in '99.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 10:09:17 pm »
Sometimes I like to go to PSO World to see the reactions of the salty ultra nerds... One of them just rage quit, deleted all of their items/character just became of this earth setting level doesn't gel with their cannon... In a game where a magic casting, space elf, little girl can climb into a giant robot and save the universe from monsters in an alien version of feudal Japan, an Earth setting was the final straw..

Nerds crack me the fuck up.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 06:34:44 am »
I remember the day when PSO2 was revealed. I was really hyped

Offline Sharky

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 09:53:51 am »
I remember the day when PSO2 was revealed. I was really hyped

I actually think there is a chance we might eventually get it in the West after Episode 4 and the updated graphics releases... I think I recall seeing a quote recently from someone at SEGA saying they are working on something and will have more info when they can... Anyone else catch this? I don't know where I saw it now.
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 02:58:47 pm »
Opps wrong section
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:14:46 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 05:47:08 am »
I actually think there is a chance we might eventually get it in the West after Episode 4 and the updated graphics releases... I think I recall seeing a quote recently from someone at SEGA saying they are working on something and will have more info when they can... Anyone else catch this? I don't know where I saw it now.

Can we even trust SEGA west these days . They did say that PSO II was to come the west after all and so far nothing . Have to say I don't like the new setting as it shows up the engine age a bit too much
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sharky

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 04:10:13 pm »
Can we even trust SEGA west these days . They did say that PSO II was to come the west after all and so far nothing . Have to say I don't like the new setting as it shows up the engine age a bit too much

There is a new ultra high graphical setting releasing early next year for PC and default for the PS4 version... It's not mind blowing, but it's quite a big leap compared to the base game and brings it inline with a lot of modern MMOs:

Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »
Not to side with the salty nerds, but one of PSO2's crippling flaws thus far has been its complete and utter lack of identity.  It doesn't have the consistent conspiratorial moody atmosphere of PSO1 or even the positive buoyancy of PSZ's frontier-esque setting.  Instead it is a smattering of random ideas and visual themes all thrown into a melting pot with no direction or vision.  This latest level takes the game further down a rabbit hole of confusion.

Not to mention this city level looks very similar to the emergency city missions that we've had for years now.   

Offline Sharky

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 01:25:27 pm »
Not to side with the salty nerds, but one of PSO2's crippling flaws thus far has been its complete and utter lack of identity.  It doesn't have the consistent conspiratorial moody atmosphere of PSO1 or even the positive buoyancy of PSZ's frontier-esque setting.  Instead it is a smattering of random ideas and visual themes all thrown into a melting pot with no direction or vision.  This latest level takes the game further down a rabbit hole of confusion.

Not to mention this city level looks very similar to the emergency city missions that we've had for years now.   

I'm actually totally fine with that, I say, why not just go wild? Have all sorts of funky planets and themes and enemies to fight... I think they have taken PSO2 in a more fun, anything goes, direction and that allows the developers the freedom to create some pretty cool features. It's obviously working because the game is more popular now than Phantasy Star Universe ever was world wide.

PSO was starting to head that way by the end with some pretty weird missions and mini games.
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 01:51:51 pm »
I'm actually totally fine with that, I say, why not just go wild? Have all sorts of funky planets and themes and enemies to fight... I think they have taken PSO2 in a more fun, anything goes, direction and that allows the developers the freedom to create some pretty cool features. It's obviously working because the game is more popular now than Phantasy Star Universe ever was world wide.

PSO was starting to head that way by the end with some pretty weird missions and mini games.

I'd be okay with it if it were still in the support of a greater narrative or feeling.  But these episodes are practically self contained games with little to no connection between them.  It's probably good in the short term, but it yields a shallower experience in the end. 

I mean, PSO2's popularity is the result of sega targeting local interests with the focus of a laser beam.  AoT is popular?  Hey presto, a level where you run on rooftops and bring down behemoths.  Oop, that's not popular anymore?  To Akiharaba we go! 

For a franchise that used to go toe to toe with FF and DQ, it's kind of a miserable fate.  I'm looking forward to Star Ocean and Xenoblade Chronicles much more than I am PSO2 which is sad given that I was such a huge fan of the original games and PSO1 as well.     

Offline Sharky

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 02:06:59 pm »
I'd be okay with it if it were still in the support of a greater narrative or feeling.  But these episodes are practically self contained games with little to no connection between them.  It's probably good in the short term, but it yields a shallower experience in the end. 

I mean, PSO2's popularity is the result of sega targeting local interests with the focus of a laser beam.  AoT is popular?  Hey presto, a level where you run on rooftops and bring down behemoths.  Oop, that's not popular anymore?  To Akiharaba we go! 

For a franchise that used to go toe to toe with FF and DQ, it's kind of a miserable fate.  I'm looking forward to Star Ocean and Xenoblade Chronicles much more than I am PSO2 which is sad given that I was such a huge fan of the original games and PSO1 as well.     

It went toe to toe with FF and DQ in terms of what? PSO's story pretty bare bones in terms of story and I don't think It was ever as popular as it is today. 

I don't think a really fun game is a miserable fate at all... I like the weird and wild direction of PSO2, far, far more than I liked anything in PSU. I feel in PSO2 they're really embracing the 'phantasy' aspect and rolling with it.

I've never played a Dragon Quest but I'm certainly not more excited for that new bros on a camping trip Final Fantasy.
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 08:52:35 pm »
Ill definite agree that PSU was a goddamn mess.  One of the bigger disappointments in my gaming career.

2006 wasn't a great year.