Author Topic: Sword of Vermilion  (Read 19987 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: Sword of Vermilion
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 04:14:54 am »
You like Streets of Rage 3 the most and you also prefer the 3D Shinobi games to the originals?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 06:08:58 am »
Hindsight is such a beautiful thing. Yes if you played SHINING FORCE and PHANTASY STAR 2-4, BEYOND OASIS and then play SOV of course it will look lacking in comparison. But this game was really one of the early examples of RPG gaming for the MD and you got to judge it in relation to that. It was decent at the time, no masterpeice for sure but it doesn't deserve this bashing.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 07:54:28 am »
Quote from: "cube_b3"

To date, Shenmue is the only Yu Suzuki game that enters my top 10 games of all time.

No OutRun ????

To me the best racer ever made, even to this day . Daytona USA was brilliant too
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 02:28:58 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
You like Streets of Rage 3 the most and you also prefer the 3D Shinobi games to the originals?

Would you feel less castrated if I said I like Bare Knuckles 3 the most?

I haven't commented on the original Shinobi games don't infer :P. The Noriyoshi Oba MD series were perfect, but the Akujiki PS3 series were a start of something that's why I like them more, cause they make me think more. I like imaginig a story for the 3rd game, which would reintroduce Joe Musachi into the Akujiki arc rather than an unlockable non canonical character.

I've played both genesis games, they are great and perfectly concluded, fun games indeed but they don't have me emotionally invested as the PS2 series.

Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Quote from: "cube_b3"

To date, Shenmue is the only Yu Suzuki game that enters my top 10 games of all time.

No OutRun ????

To me the best racer ever made, even to this day . Daytona USA was brilliant too

I'm not big on racers in general, I've found OutRun, and Hang-On as average at best, I actually played Hang-On on my megadrive and found it boring, I enjoyed it more in Shenmue more. OutRun I got no comment on I played it far too late, and I prefer Hang-On over it any day but to me it is like would you like to shove a mobile or a ds up your ass (okay that example is way to extreme).

I enjoyed After Burner, Space Harrier a lot on the genesis, but it isn't anything memorable or something I care to much about. I haven't played them on Arcades so I don't know if the experience is any better. They are average or good games at best in my opinion.

I hate Power Drift though, that game has a tiny race track and circling it makes me want to puke, would like to unlock the hang-on bike in it though.

Of all his racers including F355, I enjoyed 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker the most that game had a lot of personality and charm.

I personally think Yu Suzuki games have great technical qualities, but the whole fun factor is generally circling those technical features only. For example, I don't give a rats ass about Shenmue's "Ryo" story line. I think it is the same as Sonic's story line Chaos Emeralds replaced with Mirrors.

I am painting a dark EXTREMLY exaggarated picture here, I really like Suzuki Sama and have enjoyed all of his games that I played but my top 10 list of games would have to be more than a repetitive fast cognitive response based game and a more psychological emotional game.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 11:12:07 pm »
Sword of Vermilion is indeed 1 of my top 10 RPGs of all time (along with Phantasy Star II and Sorcerer's Kingdom).
What I love most is the ghotic BGMs, kept those soundtracks on my phone.

My favorite moment was when the king wouldn't let you out of city so couldn't make much progress.
You have to annoy him many times to make him mad and reveal that turned out he's not the real king.
He's an impostor.
He's one of the freaking dragons.

Offline Berto

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 08:42:31 pm »
Trivia : SEGA Mega Drive Mini in Asia gets Sword of Vermillion and OutRun 2019 as exclusives

SEGA will also be selling the SEGA Mega Drive Mini in Asia, they promised the same amount of games as the rest of the regions. 40 games.
SEGA is only planning on selling the units as one SKU in that area with two controllers. So far Japan is the only place to have a cheaper, single controller bundle.
The two exclusives confirmed to the Asian version are Sword of Vermilion and OutRun 2019.

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2019/04/02/sega-mega-drive-mini-in-asia-gets-sword-of-vermillion-and-outrun-2019-as-exclusives/

Offline Berto

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 08:44:07 pm »
SEGA Tunes: A look at SEGA AM2’s underrated Sword of Vermilion OST

The soundtrack for this game is actually great.
Composed by Hiroshi Kawaguchi (After Burner, Out Run, and more) and Yasuhiro Takagi (Virtua Racing, F355 Challenge and more), both composers who where literally at the top of their game during this time period.
This game’s soundtrack is so diverse, just looking at the song titled ‘Statts’ on the start of the article and then listening to ‘Elias’ track above,
you can tell that the composers could go from having a moody dark track  to a joyous, upbeat track at the drop of a feather.
Really shows you that these guys where really ahead of their game in terms of variety of sound.

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2015/01/13/tuesday-tunes-a-look-at-sega-am2s-underrated-sword-of-vermilion-ost/

Offline Berto

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 09:05:14 pm »
SEGA's 60th Anniversary Celebration
Save 91% on SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics BUNDLE on Steam
Over 50 classic games in one great bundle including Sword of Vermilion.
Offer ends 20 October 2020

Link : https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13945/SEGA_Mega_Drive_and_Genesis_Classics/

Offline Berto

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 09:08:39 pm »
Picross S: Mega Drive & Mark III Edition launches August 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTo0Bjf6v14

Enjoy drawing nostalgic pixel art characters while solving Picross puzzles!
The compilation includes a total of 59 titles :

Action Fighter
After Burner
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Soldier
Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Arrow Flash
Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Columns III
Comix Zone
Crack Down
Dynamite Headdy
Enduro Racer
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Eternal Champions
Fantasy Zone
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Kung Fu Kid
Light Crusader
Out Run
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Puyo Puyo
Puzzle & Action:Ichidant-R
Puzzle & Action:Tant-R
Quartet
Record of the Bahamut War
Rent A Hero
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shining Force II
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic the hedgehog CD
Space Harrier
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
The Ooze
The Revenge of Shinobi
Turbo Out Run

Article : https://www.gematsu.com/2021/07/picross-s-mega-drive-mark-iii-edition-launches-august-5

Offline Berto

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2021, 08:03:39 pm »
Five SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive Games Get Added to Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXJPxi2wopM

These five games are Altered Beast, Toejam & Earl, Sword of Vermilion, Thunder Force II, and Dynamite Headdy.
Out of the five games, Thunder Force II is probably the most notable, as it was skipped over in favor of its two sequels Thunder Force III and Thunder Force IV with stuff like the SEGA Genesis Mini or the SEGA AGES series, until now. 

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/12/16/five-sega-genesis-mega-drive-get-added-to-nintendo-switch-online-expansion-pass/