Author Topic: Movies Of 2017  (Read 37080 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Movies Of 2017
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2017, 09:59:28 am »
So did anyone see Spiderman: Homecoming?

Me? In short it's a good movie. But it does not warrant the 94% on RT and the BO shows it. As a superhero movie, it's average at best. The movie surprisingly works better as a quirky comedy that both embraces and pokes fun at some of the elements in the Spider Man mythos. The villain looks cool, he's actually on par with your standard Spidey villain, no plans to take over the world, he's just a thief who's gunning for the bext big score. And there's a really good plot twist in there too. It often reminds me of those classic movies where kids are tryin' to uncover a mistery while the adults don't seem to mind or don't beleive 'em. However, here's where the movie doesn't deserve it's praise: it's fun, but often times, it feels shallow. Part of it must be Sony holding back, another part of it must be Marvel Studios trying to cram Spiderman's world into a world that already exists and the changes might not be to everyone's liking. Family drama doesn't work because there's nothing there, romantic subplot doesn't work because there's nothing there either and to be fair Parker's motivation to be Spiderman also doesn't completely click. While Robert Downey Jr and Happy are always fun to watch, I think the constant references to the MCU are more distractions than anything else. Like I said, it's a good movie, but not deserving of that rating, methinks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:00:12 pm by max_cady »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2017, 11:48:47 am »
Is anyone seeing Blade Runner? I'm am really excited about it.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2017, 05:13:35 pm »
Is anyone seeing Blade Runner? I'm am really excited about it.

I only watched about 15 minutes of the first B.R. It just was not my type of movie.

Onto a different film entirely, I am very excited to find out that Will Smith will do the voice of the Genie in the new Aladdin film.

Offline Spock

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2017, 12:07:57 am »
I thought it was a very bad idea to have Will Smith as a replacement for Robin Williams. They could have at least tried to find a clever comedian who can easily come up with cartoon puns. Maybe someone like Eddy Murphy.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:04 am »
Or Jm Carrey maybe? He's got that high energy kind of voice that Robin could bring.

So, the emoji film has crashed and burned as expected. Might just be my age, but I think we're really starting to see old ideas just repainted in all types of media more and more now. We're still seeing some great stuff of course, but the pickings are getting thinner and thinner all the time.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2017, 10:34:57 am »
Isn't Will Smith actually playing Genie? It's not just a voice. Also, Smith can be funny, so I see no problem with him.

Offline Spock

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »
I actually thought the Genie part would be CGI, but I could be wrong. I just don't see how he will float.

I like Will Smith, but he just has a sleazy sense of humor similar to Jack Black or David Spade. It should really be someone with a more bubbly personality.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46:58 am »
"IT" Seems to be doing well with the critics. Guess Chapter 2 will be in the works if it sells well too now.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2017, 12:14:09 am »
Anyone watch IT yet? May watch it this weekend with my wife.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 09:58:57 am »
Impressions are mixed on It.

I half enjoyed it, half-hated it. My boss saw the movie last week, thought it was the worst horror movie he'd ever seen.