Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 283735 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #720 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:31 am »
missed it i was in a cinema packed with kids and my own neice and nephews who were playing up. I gotta buy the DVD and slow freeze frame to get all the sega references. But i am hoping that out of all the video game cameos and references that Sega has the most in this film! But then historically they seem to be Hollywood's favourite games company to take cameos and references from.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #721 on: February 12, 2013, 08:56:26 am »
The blu-ray is said to have a feature which reveals all the cameos, and they might discuss a bit of behind the scenes of how they obtained the rights to certain characters and why they chose them.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #722 on: February 12, 2013, 02:32:32 pm »
In the cinema: The Last Stand - Great popcorn-style action movie. Oddly enough, felt more like an ensemble piece than a true Schwarzenegger movie from the '80s. However, the last 30-minutes will make you change your mind. The final showdown between Schwarzenegger and Eduardo Noriega, the main villain, is brutal as Hell. I really enjoyed this one. Totally getting it on Blu-Ray.

At home; Prometheus - Damn good movie. An excellent return to form for Ridley Scott, who hadn't made a good movie, in my opinion, since Gladiator. In fact, this actually felt like the very same man that gave me The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner. Nice to see the man still has it. Top it off with a compelling story that adds onto the Alien mythology, a great cast, beautiful score and you're well on your way. Shame I missed it in the cinema.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline ROJM

« Reply #723 on: February 13, 2013, 07:46:28 am »
The blu-ray is said to have a feature which reveals all the cameos, and they might discuss a bit of behind the scenes of how they obtained the rights to certain characters and why they chose them.
Good. It'll be interesting to see how it was done especially in regards to Sega. I mean one can understand wanting Sonic involved but ALTERED BEAST and HOTD? That must have been requested specifically. On another note does anyone know in XMEN LAST STAND when they are trying to get to the boy who can cure mutants that the game system he was playing, was it a dreamcast or 360? I' cant make it out, i ask because on the screen it looked like he was playing ECCO DEFENDER OF THE FUTURE.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #724 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:41 am »
I have that movie, I should check! Seeing as how it is a 2006 film, I'd lean towards XBOX 360, but you never know. Sometimes they just have old consoles in the prop department.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #725 on: February 13, 2013, 11:41:48 am »
Checked, it's a 360, you can see the controller briefly:

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #726 on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »
Django Unchained. Very good. Excited for the 'unedited version', 3 hours wasn't long enough for me.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #727 on: February 13, 2013, 06:07:51 pm »
Last movie I saw like nearly a month ago was Lincoln.

Good job, Mr. Spielberg. The last movie I saw from this director was War Horse. A made-for-TV movie that Spielberg did not give a crap about! Lincoln is far superior by comparison. It's a movie about Lincoln's fight with congress and the senate to get his famous 13th Amendment which as you all know, gave their freedom to the slaves. It's basically a period-piece version of The West Wing. Daniel-Day Lewis feels like he has the easiest job in the world, by playing one of the most iconic historical figures in American History. And he does. But really, the driving force in the entire flick is a cast of known TV and movie actors that spice up this political drama. A major shout-out to Tommy Lee-Jones for arguably a stand-out performance.
Overall, it's a solid film, it's clearly Oscar-bait. The only minor issue I could find would be in the form of Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He was OK, but his whole sub-plot was largely a distraction and could've been left on the editing floor.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #728 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:02 pm »
War Horse was a theatrical film, and it received a great deal of praise and revenue. It wasn't something anything new, for sure, but at least it hit the emotional beats and kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

Personally, I wish Spielberg would give war films a break for a long while. He's made so many as it is. I realize he has a passion for the subject matter, though I think he needs to make a horror movie or another comedy. You know, something other than war. It's like Tarantino. I love the man, but can he let the tired tale of revenge take a nap? Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, all have strong revenge themes. I'd like to see him make something....different.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline ROJM

« Reply #729 on: February 14, 2013, 11:08:59 am »
Checked, it's a 360, you can see the controller briefly:

Thanks Barry.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #730 on: February 14, 2013, 05:07:59 pm »

A Good Day to Die Hard

So... Yeah, 20th Century Fox, we need to sit down and have a little chat about this particular franchise. I never thought I'd say this, Die Hard is now a tainted property. Movie number 5 does good by ditching the PG-13 rating that hampered the 4th installment, but John Moore and writer Skip Woods have seemingly broken the franchise beyond repair.

Terrible camera-work on several action scenes (the shaky cam from 2005-2009 is back), barely incompreensible plot and unimpressive antagonists. Worst of all, Bruce Willis is just playin' Bruce Willis at this point. Even worse, he has nothing more to say, he's just dull and devoid of any charm.

I can definately see some potential in Jai Courtney, but it's not like they couldn't cast anybody else for the role of Jack McClane. Considering the lines he was given, I don't think even Marlon Brandon could make it sound good.

The action in Die Hard 5 is a big departure from the previous movies, you have your main protagonists battered and bruised, which has always been the trademark image. But that trademark is tarnished when they consistentely come out unschated regardless of how many car crashes and plunges from tall buildings they get into.

Like I stated before, the shaky cam is back and it's use on something as simple as walking into a courthouse, makes it all the more baffling. There's an early car chase scene that just bored the crap out of me, because I can barely, just barely tell what's going on!

It's a Good Day for this franchise to undergo some sort of soul-searching... 'cause right now, Movie 5 is making 12 Rounds and Die Hard 2 look like masterpieces!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:10:14 pm by max_cady »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #731 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:03 am »
The problem for me is that Mclain has gone all "supercop" with the last two movies when the major appeal of the first three movies was that he was like an average joe caught up in an unexpected situation.

"The wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time" What happened to that.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #732 on: February 28, 2013, 06:11:12 pm »
When you actually get down to it, all of the sequels after the original film deviated from that original concept.
Before DH5, Die Hard 2 was the worst, IMO. The original was very sucessful and they greenlit a sequel as quickly as possible, but they had no clue what to do, so they did a slighty different take on the same film, with all the same beats. Die Hard 3, IMHO, was perhaps the second best.

That's when they ditched "the one man in a messed up situation" for "McClane having a partner going through the same messed up situation", but in that movie it worked. Die Hard 4.0's biggest mistake was having a PG-13 rating.
But it still had just enough amount of fun, tension and excitement that was clearly missing in A Good Day to Die Hard: The characters were dull, the jokes were very flat and the characters made it through everything.

Out of respect for a family member, I won't disclose as to how or why I watched Zookeeper. It's been a while since I watched a really, really bad movie. And I got what I deserved by watching a Kevin James vehicle. Apparentely I was lucky for never watching Paul Blart: Mall Cop, but this one... I can't think of anything remotely funny or clever to say about it.

It's bad, but sadly not the kind of bad that you can still enjoy on some level, on the contrary, it's that type of bad movie that makes you rethink the choices you've made in your life. Maybe, kids and teens might get a chuckle out of the idea of having animals say silly lines here and there, everybody else, stay away. It's dull, it's unfunny and the ultimate message of the film is absurd. Yuck!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #733 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:54 am »
Would you rather have Kevin James take a shit on your head or watch the Zookeeper again?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #734 on: March 01, 2013, 09:03:14 am »
I'd go for option 1, it's bad enough that Sylverster Stallone was one of the voice actors!