Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 667805 times)

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #2025 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:41 am »

I've never played Shenmue 2. I've had it on XBOX for probably 8 years, but never got around to it... Yeah, i know it's bad.

If you do ever get around  to it, you should absolutely strive to play it on original hardware. Running it on 360 is just not recommended due to the myriad of bugs that disable whole features of presentation and content. I've played through the whole game on Xbox, and aside from one crash from a very long game session, it works flawlessly. I can't say the same for playing it on 360.

Of course you could also emulate or burn the Dreamcast version, unless you're okay playing exorbitant prices for a legit copy.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2026 on: September 09, 2017, 06:22:02 pm »

If you do ever get around  to it, you should absolutely strive to play it on original hardware. Running it on 360 is just not recommended due to the myriad of bugs that disable whole features of presentation and content. I've played through the whole game on Xbox, and aside from one crash from a very long game session, it works flawlessly. I can't say the same for playing it on 360.

Of course you could also emulate or burn the Dreamcast version, unless you're okay playing exorbitant prices for a legit copy.

Thing is though importing it from Japan means it's in all Japanese.  :)  Unless you can understand it.  In which case, pay my comment no mind.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2027 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:36 am »
https://www.alza.co.uk/shenmue-1-2-pack?dq=4661678

It's likely nothing, but there it is.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2028 on: September 10, 2017, 03:37:19 pm »
https://www.alza.co.uk/shenmue-1-2-pack?dq=4661678

It's likely nothing, but there it is.

:D  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be like water.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2029 on: September 11, 2017, 11:27:29 am »

I'll probably plug in my old XBOX one of these days and give it a go.

With the recent rumors of remasters coming, i may hold out for a little longer though, haha.

Thing is though importing it from Japan means it's in all Japanese.  :)  Unless you can understand it.  In which case, pay my comment no mind.
XBOX version was released in the US, so it's in full english.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Tad

« Reply #2030 on: September 11, 2017, 12:10:05 pm »
:D  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought, but isn't TGS soon? Maybe they'll be a release date or something then if this is real.

https://youtu.be/4eW8tWDwqH8

Regarding the lack of switch version...

I suspect cart sizes (as you said) and programming would be the reason. Though there are differences on the PC, Xbox and PS4, the Switch would be completely different as it's android based underneath Nintendo's dev kit.

I'd like to believe Shenmue 1 & 2 might be coming back, but we've been burnt with these rumours before and have seen nothing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:30:58 am by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #2031 on: September 18, 2017, 10:30:02 am »
TGS in a few days time. So, I'm guessing if there's anything, it'll be said here.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2032 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:41 pm »
I've been tempted to start up Shenmue 2, but after the HD rumors surfaced, I think I'm going to wait.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2033 on: September 20, 2017, 02:50:34 am »
It's probably worth just playing it. These rumours of Shenmue HD have been going around for years and still no sign of them. I hope they come out, but who knows.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2034 on: September 28, 2017, 04:31:41 pm »
George just posted this Dev update video, what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhOz-wbY2fA

I agree with George that it didn't seem like a necessary video. Would've liked to see more than 1 minutes worth of content.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2035 on: September 29, 2017, 02:13:29 pm »
George just posted this Dev update video, what do you guys think?

I agree with George that it didn't seem like a necessary video. Would've liked to see more than 1 minutes worth of content.

Well, they committed to at least one update a month and they're basically making these short videos to honor that commitment without devoting too much time and resources to making them. For better or worse they're honest glimpses at the work in progress, so in that regard I appreciate them. However, a lot of people don't seem to be able to differentiate between the concept of work in progress and what they expect a finished, polished product to look like.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2036 on: October 02, 2017, 06:22:16 pm »
I don't get why it is so difficult for them to just upload a fly on the wall dev video where we see somebody working for a good 15 mins.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2037 on: October 03, 2017, 11:11:58 am »
Well, they committed to at least one update a month and they're basically making these short videos to honor that commitment without devoting too much time and resources to making them. For better or worse they're honest glimpses at the work in progress, so in that regard I appreciate them. However, a lot of people don't seem to be able to differentiate between the concept of work in progress and what they expect a finished, polished product to look like.

I'm not criticizing the look of it, i'm sure it'll look quite different when launched. The only thing i'm pointing out is the lack of footage in that 1 minute clip.

Like Barry suggested, why not give us more footage? It just seems strange and pointless to offer 1 minute of footage. May as well offer images if anything.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2038 on: October 03, 2017, 01:00:52 pm »
Yu Suzuki is great at a lot of things, but he is also out of practice or just plain unknowledgeable about other things. I think what SEGA brought to Shenmue 1&2 (not counting the piles of cash) was a structure that marketed games. In the late 90s/early 2000s it was web design, setting up interviews, designing ads, presenting the products with quality renders and logos. But without that, I feel that Shenmue 3 is suffering on the marketing/design end. Programmers, for example, generally suck at other aspects of a game. Like you would not task somebody without graphic design experience to make a press release or design a mock up for cover art. But I feel like that is what is happening. They have a small team and so inexperienced people are being tasked with doing things.

Look at Sonic Mania for how to do it right. They needed new art assets, they hired a talented fan. They needed PR, they utilized what SEGA has. I think Deep Silver could help in some of these areas for Shenmue 3, so it is a wait and see I guess. But still, I don't get these short dev videos and the weird presenter.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2039 on: October 03, 2017, 03:13:57 pm »
It's damned if they do, damned if they don't. As much as people have complained about the unpolished glimpses of Shenmue III they've seen so far, there have been at least as many complaints about companies releasing "bullshots" that aren't truly representative of the then-present state of development or the final appearance of games. The only thing to "get" is that marketing has not officially started on Shenmue III. What's been publicly shown has been Kickstarter updates and the Deep Silver partnership announcement footage. Yu Suzuki most recent statement is that the marketing campaign will begin around the end of this year.