Author Topic: Dragon Ball!  (Read 19645 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Dragon Ball!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 12:35:30 pm »
The animation and the different colour palette is nice, but I think the characters and the main story was just a bit off with GT.

Super is kind of in the middle for me still. It's nothing bad, but it's not really pushing anything either. Most of it just seems to like a paint by numbers sort of deal.

Offline Tad

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »
Dragonball Fighters Z seems interesting. I was getting strong Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 vibes when watching gameplay.

Super has gotten better, but there's still little sense in some of the writing. Why pick Roshi for the team? Surely Whis/Beerus/other gods know of stronger beings in the the entire universe? The same goes for Freezer. Goku was always a bit dumb, but even he's not dumb enough to bring that scumbag back. It's  obvious he's going to turn on them and I'm just hoping Beerus just destroys him completely when he does as Beerus himself has becoming completely soft and no threat what so ever. He's become a comic character like Bulma full of empty threats.

Also, am I hearing this right? GT is considered part of the timeline because if so, I'm calling them out and saying it isn't now. Unless Zeno etc strips the characters of their memories meeting gods and of their power upgrades, there's no way GT is part of the timeline.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 02:22:55 am »
DBZ BBYYYYYYYY

GT was never canon.
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 06:52:07 pm »
DBZ BBYYYYYYYY

GT was never canon.

GT respected the franchise a heck of a lot more than Super.  :p  Sonic SatAM isn't canon either but it treats Sonic way better than Boom.  GT ain't perfect, but it wraps up the original anime of DBZ fine.  I think it's because it came out fresh after the anime and manga of Dragonball and DBZ had just ended.  GT had all the same people who worked on the franchise up to that point.  The same people who also animated the opening to Sonic CD AND Chrono Trigger.  Dragon Ball Super is a terrible manga and a cheaply made anime.  It feels very forced, as if to just cash in on the series just like DBZ kai.  Anime adaptations don't always follow the original manga, they delve into filler sometimes.  But I felt the filler in DBZ wasn't complete bullshit.  Kai makes everything feel like it's on fast forward.  The original manga for DB and DBZ had very short chapters, not enough to fill entire episodes.  Super on the other hand feels drawn out even in the manga and nothing excites me.  The fights are so lame and there's no proper build up.  New character designs suck too.  Not just talking about the already established ones, but the new ones like the villains are JUST AWFUL.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 01:17:20 am »
I think being older is a part of why Super just isn't clicking with you (me and others) to be fair. I'm guessing a lot of people who watched DBZ at first were around 8-11 or close to it. I do prefer how they've sort of nulled power levels and simply made it about experience and training instead, but at the moment everything feels by the numbers in terms of story. Maybe it's simply a case of they've done everything they can with the series in Z.

Despite it's praise, even Z started to have issues after the Freezer saga. The Cell saga saw Gohan rightfully take over from Goku, but from what I can gather fans didn't like it so they put Goku back in the frame. The Buu saga sort of lost me really as it just kept going on and on with despite the lack of reason in the end.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:20:55 am by Tad »

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 02:56:13 am »
Sonic SatAM isn't canon either but it treats Sonic way better than Boom.

Sonic Boom isn't canon either.  ::)   

Offline Tad

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 11:41:38 am »
Does Sonic even have a story considered canon?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:46:14 am by Tad »

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 02:10:42 pm »
That's the thing with Shonen, usually the character grows and we see the full story.  We see all the hardships and struggles, the payoffs.  The epic fights, each one bigger and better than the last.  Power levels and transformations.  Yes, Tad.  I agree that DBZ covered everything it could.  That being said, why did we need DBS to be a thing?  Akira Toriyama is alot more laid back these days.  He did some DB bonus stuff after the series ended that were more gag manga and tongue in cheek.  I remember Neko Majin was pretty funny.  That for me was enough.  Doing a continuiation of DBZ with a different mindset is tough, you won't get the same results.  Not saying it's the same for every situation.  people are still debating whether or not Samurai Jack season 5 was a  worthy successor to the original Samurai Jack series.  I'm ok with it, though I think Aku in season 5 was alot sillier, new voice actor aside.
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 01:15:34 am »
Does Sonic even have a story considered canon?

Multiverse theory and split timelines.  As much as some people hate that, it's a better explanation than nothing.  :p  Sega gotta stop hittin' that reset button.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 10:45:04 am »
Huh. I've always kind of thought The adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog were the best series myself.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 06:22:55 pm »
Huh. I've always kind of thought The adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog were the best series myself.

It's still funny.  (alot funnier than Boom, for sure) 
Be like water.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2021, 07:00:30 am »