Author Topic: BRAZIL IS AN ALTERNATE VIDEO GAME UNIVERSE WHERE SEGA BEAT NINTENDO  (Read 10073 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: BRAZIL IS AN ALTERNATE VIDEO GAME UNIVERSE WHERE SEGA BEAT NINTENDO
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:02 am »
Wait, it still sells?!

~There are still games being released there as well
SEG4GES

Offline Zarco

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 01:29:54 am »
Hello guys,

The article is quite good, but there is some points that I would like to adress:

1) It is true that Tec Toy sells aprox. 150k "Master Systems" per year. But it is not the original Master System hardware. It is just an emulator inside a cheap plastic case. Looks and feels a lot like a nes clones from China. The newer version don't even have a cartridge slot.

2) The "Master System" price point is about R$ 150,00. You can buy an used Saturn or PS1 for R$ 150-200 and a PS2 for R$ 200,00-300,00. So it is not like these Master System clones are super cheap.

3) I don't have acess to any internal Data from Tec Toy about their consumers. But  in my humble opinion the real reason for the continued success of the Master System (and Mega Drive) is because brazilian parents love to buy these consoles for younger kids. They do so for the following reasons: first because the parentes themselves are very nostalgic towards MS/MD games. Second because they think the games are more innocent and therefore suited for small children. And third because even with cheap plastic and fragile controllers these "new" Master Systems are tougher tham disk based systems and can handle some beating from younger kids.

4) To be honest I am thinking in getting one of theses MS/Genesis clones. They have dozens of pack in games and some of them are very rare even for hardcore collectors like myself. Too bad the consoles themselves are very poorly built.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:39:49 am by Zarco »

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 02:07:17 am »
Hey, welcome to the site.

Great input btw. I was curious, how much does R$150,00 translate to the American dollars? I would love to get my hands on one of those, but I don't know where to look. I already have a MS, but I love the look of some clones.

Thanks for the insight on the consoles as well, I didn't know these didn't have cartridge slots on them, but it makes a lot of sense.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:07 am »
Currently about $40 - 45.

Offline Zarco

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 06:37:22 pm »

Thanks Pirovash88. Glad to be here.  I am a reader of Sega Bits for quite some time.

Yep, Centrale is right. It is about US$ 45,00.

There are some "Master System Evolution" being sold at Ebay now but they are seriously overpriced.

My advise is to find at Mercado Livre (www.mercadolivre.com.br) some seller to send it to your country.

Just search for "Master System Evolution".

There is also a very funny "Mega Drive 4 with Guittar Idol and 100 games". You can check it here:
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-675739008-mega-drive-4-guitar-idol-tectoy-_JM

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 12:01:40 am »
Awesome man, I really appreciate the insight. $40 for a console with built in games is really good. I may give that site a look, I tend to find most of my clones at swapmeets out here, a lot of product from Mexico makes its way.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88