Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 673354 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2014, 09:53:17 am »
Seems like a lot of people are getting pretty amped up about this GDC talk possibly indicating some information about the future of Shenmue. But these kinds of postmortems are a longstanding GDC feature. Likewise, Gamasutra periodically runs postmortem articles from all sorts of developers. They are all focused on the past: What went right with the development, what went wrong, and what the developers learned from the experience.

The other postmortems at GDC this year will be for Zork, Robotron 2084, and Lucasfilm Games. There aren't going to be announcments of a new Zork, a Robotron sequel or a re-formation of Lucasfilm Games. What this event will be is a fascinating opportunity to learn about the development of what ultimately became Shenmue 1 and 2... not a reveal or hype event for 3.

For Shenmue fans who are able to keep their expectations realistic, it's going to be great. Just don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:27 am »
I still want to know why the guy in the link posted believes Yu owns the license. Does he have evidence?

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:05 pm »
I still want to know why the guy in the link posted believes Yu owns the license. Does he have evidence?

I am not sure who created the article. It DOES say that it was posted by the GDC staff though. I know that it is not a forum website and that there really is going to be a GDC this year. According to the article, Yu Suzuki will be interviewed about the future of Shenmue. I do not know if that part is fact or just a hopeful guess. I - like most people who know about this franchise - wish he would finally announce if he will be considering a new Shenmue game or not.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:17:56 pm by Spock »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:06 am »
There is nothing on the official GDC site about Yu Suzuki being interviewed about the future of Shenmue. You're referring to a random forum post, not the GDC event info. The only thing Yu Suzuki is doing at GDC is talking about the development of the games that have already been released.

Yu Suzuki has already stated multiple times in the past few years that he wants to make Shenmue 3, but it's a matter of getting the funds to do so from a publisher, which hasn't happened yet (as far as we know). So, is he 'considering' making Shenmue 3? He's already got it planned out, but he's done as much as he can so far. It's really not a question of if he wants to. It's a question of if he can convince a publisher to fund it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:25:59 am by Centrale »

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:33 pm »
http://youtu.be/IxMf5lMWqto?t=40s

Check out the username.  :D

Nothing terribly meaningful, of course.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2014, 05:15:17 am »
I am not sure who created the article. It DOES say that it was posted by the GDC staff though. I know that it is not a forum website and that there really is going to be a GDC this year. According to the article, Yu Suzuki will be interviewed about the future of Shenmue. I do not know if that part is fact or just a hopeful guess. I - like most people who know about this franchise - wish he would finally announce if he will be considering a new Shenmue game or not.

There is nothing on the official GDC site about Yu Suzuki being interviewed about the future of Shenmue. You're referring to a random forum post, not the GDC event info. The only thing Yu Suzuki is doing at GDC is talking about the development of the games that have already been released.

Yu Suzuki has already stated multiple times in the past few years that he wants to make Shenmue 3, but it's a matter of getting the funds to do so from a publisher, which hasn't happened yet (as far as we know). So, is he 'considering' making Shenmue 3? He's already got it planned out, but he's done as much as he can so far. It's really not a question of if he wants to. It's a question of if he can convince a publisher to fund it.

So, he did state about the 'future of shenmue' at this year's GDC.

I don't get it, we've read that Sega lost Shenmue's trademark, but does it belong 100% to Yu Suzuki ?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2014, 07:21:36 am »
I don't believe SEGA lost the trademark. As our story suggests, it refers to specific uses of the trademark:

Update: It should be noted that the database shows two dead trademarks for Shenmue. One, filed on February 18, 1999 and cancelled on January 17, 2009, pertains to “computer game programs and prerecorded discs and ROMs for computer game programs”. This is likely referring to the original Shenmue for the SEGA Dreamcast.

The one that was cancelled on Valentine’s Day pertains to “entertainment services, namely, providing an online computer game”. This one was filed on August 25, 2003. The now cancelled Shenmue Online was officially announced in 2004, meaning this recent dead trademark is likely for that game and the potential for games like it.

I'll admit, I am not an expert in this stuff, but I don't think it is as plain and simple as "SEGA doesn't own the trademark". I think they DO still retain the rights to Shenmue, but this whole thing is referring to specific uses of the trademark. Not to mention we're dealing with two territories, might be some wonky America/Japan thing.

Offline JohnOfRage

• "Bare Knuckle"

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2014, 11:41:52 pm »
Teanslation it is a Japanese thing, so why are we talking about it. If Shemue III, release it should be on the DC2, not a rubbish Microsoft BS system.

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2014, 02:50:26 am »
Teanslation it is a Japanese thing, so why are we talking about it. If Shemue III, release it should be on the DC2, not a rubbish Microsoft BS system.

Sega's never gonna make another console. Ever.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2014, 10:34:15 am »
Not SEGA of Japan, but SEGA of Europe, maybe.

It is not really about making something with super ram, or rub.bish corperate features. It is about making something that people are familiar with. That is the main problem with "Videogame systems". Their are too many to choose, from and the market is divided.

Sega is probably afraid of releasing the, game because of the lack of fan base support on the current gen systems. Also considering who really still cares at SEGA

For it to work, the entire fanbase has to be, on one console, that is respected, and has a strong implusive want.

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2014, 12:57:45 pm »
Sega West can't fart without asking SoJ for permission first.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!

Offline fernandeath

« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2014, 10:42:05 am »
Sega can't even afford a game like Shenmue 3.
A new console would be utopic... Unfortunatelly...
I guess Sega would just loan the rights of the game just as they did with Bayonetta 2.

---

Anyway, there's this 'update':

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-12-i-never-want-to-play-shenmue-3-half-life-3-or-the-last-guardian

Offline Spock

« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:17 pm »
Sega will probably make Shenmue III WAY before they decide to finally make games that can actually compete with stuff like: Assasins Creed, Batman: Arkham, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Farcry, Final Fantasy, Halo, Sleeping Dogs, or The Elder Scrolls. I wish Sega would realize that it is focusing too much of its time on other games. At least Shenmue III would be better than wasting their time on making another game about a blue hedgehog.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:11:28 am by Spock »

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2014, 09:19:46 pm »
It's sorta hard to go back to a story-driven game that last saw a release over 12 years ago and then try to tell its third chapter. Can't imagine how Shenmue III would appeal to anyone other than the small but vocal Shenmue fanbase. IMO, Sega would need to do HD rereleases of the first two games or a complete reboot before even thinking about Shenmue III.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:22:57 pm by Saturn Memories »