Author Topic: Have you gotten used to Roger Craig Smith Sonic VA?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Have you gotten used to Roger Craig Smith Sonic VA?
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:28:49 pm »
Tbh I havent. I think its just a tad too low for sonic.. I think my favourite VA is still ryan drummond exclusively in SA1. For some reason his voice acting sounded weird after SA1. 

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Have you gotten used to Roger Craig Smith Sonic VA?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:32:13 pm »
Tbh I havent. I think its just a tad too low for sonic.. I think my favourite VA is still ryan drummond exclusively in SA1. For some reason his voice acting sounded weird after SA1.

Sonic Adventure 2 had better voice acting than 1, imo, but i see your point.  Modern Sonic sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like Sonic.
Be like water.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:28:51 pm »
I have totally gotten used to the new Sonic, but I have to admit this thread made me go check out a comparison between the different VA and after listening to them all, I prefer.... Steve Urkel!! Jk, I think I like Roger Craig Smith the best

Honestly though, I wish Sonic as a game series stayed silent, or non-verbal like Mario, but then again Mike Pollock is PERFECT as Eggman. That intro in Sonic 06, gives me chills every time.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:51:12 pm »
I have totally gotten used to the new Sonic, but I have to admit this thread made me go check out a comparison between the different VA and after listening to them all, I prefer.... Steve Urkel!! Jk, I think I like Roger Craig Smith the best

Honestly though, I wish Sonic as a game series stayed silent, or non-verbal like Mario, but then again Mike Pollock is PERFECT as Eggman. That intro in Sonic 06, gives me chills every time.

Aye, jaleel gave him personality.  as for Eggman/Robotnik, gotta go with Jim Cummings.  my god, that voice!
Be like water.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:34:11 am »
Sonic Adventure 2 had better voice acting than 1, imo, but i see your point.  Modern Sonic sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like Sonic.
It may just be because I've spent most with sa1 as the fully VA'd sonic game. I find that they had a pretty good direction with SA1. In sonic adventure 2 he became a bit more of the cocky side? Well this is just character wise, but voice wise I think sa1 was tainted with the same low quality sound like shenmue 1 and is probably why it sounds the way it does. I still like it for some reason lol.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 02:30:42 am »
It may just be because I've spent most with sa1 as the fully VA'd sonic game. I find that they had a pretty good direction with SA1. In sonic adventure 2 he became a bit more of the cocky side? Well this is just character wise, but voice wise I think sa1 was tainted with the same low quality sound like shenmue 1 and is probably why it sounds the way it does. I still like it for some reason lol.

Shenmue, Typing Of The Dead, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Sonic Adventure, The Ring, Sword Of The Beserk, all on Dreamcast, all with that so bad it's good dubbing like an ADV OVA from the 90s.  :)  I think the only game that stands out in terms of voice acting is Soul Reaver, but that was on PS1 before and not a dub of a Japanese game.
Be like water.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:20:05 am »
Got used to it right away, like it actually.
Made by SEGA