Author Topic: New Sega Console  (Read 13759 times)

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: New Sega Console
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:19 pm »
Think of this:

July 15, 1983: SG-1000 released in Japan, SEGA's first home console
March 31, 2001: Dreamcast is discontinued

Duration: 17 years, 8 months, 16 days

April 1, 2001: First day post-Dreamcast
December 17, 2018: SEGA has been third party for as long as it was in the home console business (17 years, 8 months, 16 days)

So right now we'd be at the end of the Saturn years in console Sega time?

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 10:17:07 pm »
So right now we'd be at the end of the Saturn years in console Sega time?
Yes. Because it would be 1998.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 09:31:40 am »
I miss that year. As far as the new console goes, I think it might actually work. People would love to see a Sega revival. I know most of you think Sega doesn't have the funds. I'm sure they don't; however, it would be amazing if they did. Imagine a Sega Console competing with PS5 or Xbox TWO. Sega could at least release handhelds. Of course competition would be tough there to.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 10:49:37 am »
I miss that year. As far as the new console goes, I think it might actually work. People would love to see a Sega revival. I know most of you think Sega doesn't have the funds. I'm sure they don't; however, it would be amazing if they did. Imagine a Sega Console competing with PS5 or Xbox TWO. Sega could at least release handhelds. Of course competition would be tough there to.

How might it actually work though? People loving to see it does not convert to sales, and while you say " I know most of you think Sega doesn't have the funds", and you agree with that assessment, you still think it would be amazing.

A lot of the arguments for whether SEGA should make a new console come down to heart vs. head. The head knows SEGA does not have the resources and they would be throwing away 14 years of third party efforts. While SEGA's efforts these past 14 years could have been better, the notion of ceasing support for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo products in favor of (what is now) a niche would be a huge unnecessary risk. But the heart says it would be amazing and cool and awesome. Unfortunately, playing to fan hopes and dreams to this extreme is not a wise business decision.

I do think SEGA can meet fans halfway and revive the occasional classic franchise and bring more Japanese titles over. I'd much prefer that to a new console.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 11:05:15 pm »
How might it actually work though? People loving to see it does not convert to sales, and while you say " I know most of you think Sega doesn't have the funds", and you agree with that assessment, you still think it would be amazing.

A lot of the arguments for whether SEGA should make a new console come down to heart vs. head. The head knows SEGA does not have the resources and they would be throwing away 14 years of third party efforts. While SEGA's efforts these past 14 years could have been better, the notion of ceasing support for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo products in favor of (what is now) a niche would be a huge unnecessary risk. But the heart says it would be amazing and cool and awesome. Unfortunately, playing to fan hopes and dreams to this extreme is not a wise business decision.

I do think SEGA can meet fans halfway and revive the occasional classic franchise and bring more Japanese titles over. I'd much prefer that to a new console.
They tried bringing Japanese titles during the Sega Saturn era. It did not turn out well because people began to realise that the previous console was becoming terrible with all those add-ons. The Genesis should have had a console as a successor. Not another add-on. Sega CD was ok. Sega 32X took things way too far. I guess no one can fix what's in the past. I just don't think a lot of people would want to play any Japanese games, unless they are children or in Japan already.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 03:09:36 am »
I remember recently there were brief rumours of a partnership with Toshiba to release a console and take Sony head-on. If they kept it a Japan only console and forced all their Japanese IPs to that platform, I believe the titles they have (RGG, PSO2, Miku, 7th Dragon, Persona) would have been strong enough to keep the platform afloat. Ooooh and ports of their recent arcade hits would definitely be household console hits. Damn Sega should get on that already. If ever Sega Console Cool was riding a high, now would be the time with their legacy consoles being anthropomorphed twice over.

Sadly, none of this would work here in western markets. That, and I have no confidence that SOA can do anything with a new Sega console.

For global appeal, it would have to be a handheld. Sony slammed the ball into the pavement with the Vita. Sega could definitely take over with a handheld. Give it smartphone abilities (android) and it will already have a huge 3rd party library established.

I dream of either scenario constantly. I'd sell whatever PSFail/xbone/Pii-U consoles I have and import the hell out of a JP only console, or I'd toss my iphone into the ocean if there was a Sega combo handheld.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:10 pm »
I remember recently there were brief rumours of a partnership with Toshiba to release a console and take Sony head-on. If they kept it a Japan only console and forced all their Japanese IPs to that platform, I believe the titles they have (RGG, PSO2, Miku, 7th Dragon, Persona) would have been strong enough to keep the platform afloat. Ooooh and ports of their recent arcade hits would definitely be household console hits. Damn Sega should get on that already. If ever Sega Console Cool was riding a high, now would be the time with their legacy consoles being anthropomorphed twice over.

Sadly, none of this would work here in western markets. That, and I have no confidence that SOA can do anything with a new Sega console.

For global appeal, it would have to be a handheld. Sony slammed the ball into the pavement with the Vita. Sega could definitely take over with a handheld. Give it smartphone abilities (android) and it will already have a huge 3rd party library established.

I dream of either scenario constantly. I'd sell whatever PSFail/xbone/Pii-U consoles I have and import the hell out of a JP only console, or I'd toss my iphone into the ocean if there was a Sega combo handheld.
Toshiba? Really? What makes them any different than other companies that could "buy" Sega?

Offline Randroid

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 03:33:56 pm »
Not buy, partner with, to take on Sony. The rumors are out there on the net. I think there was a thread here in segabits that documented it too.

Toshiba is pretty big at at the time (a few years ago) pretty strong. They're involved in pretty much every electronics market other than gaming hardware. A partnership with Sega would be mutually beneficial. They each bring something to the table. Sega brings a ready-made gaming identity and Toshiba brings hardware know-how.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 04:20:33 pm »
Sounds like a lot of funding would need to go into it. Also, it sounds very risky. We don't know the profit that a new console from Toshiba and Sega would bring to the table. This could work if enough people thought it was better than the PS5 or the Xbox Thirty-Three And A Third. I seriously doubt it will ever be made though. It would definitely require some great and serious features.

Offline Spock

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 12:13:54 am »
Toshiba? Really, you two? Toshiba with Sega? What a load of rubbish.

Offline Randroid

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 01:44:16 am »
Just so everyone's clear here. It's not happening. It was just an old rumor.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 09:21:33 pm »
Neither of us said it would happen. I do agree it could be a possibility though...

if it was a miracle.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 08:08:02 pm »
It will never happen. SEGA does not have the resources in place, they would have to hire a whole division devoted to home console creation. Plus, SEGA has zero investment in Shenmue 3. They have no reason to support the game.

At this point, I don't even want a home console from SEGA. I would, however, love to see a SEGA designed Steam Box.

From the sounds of it, SEGA Holdings,Ltd has a plan to eventually start making consoles again:

http://sega-interactive.co.jp/recruit/career/20150902_1.html

http://recruit.sega.jp/fresh2016/vision/segainteractive/

http://recruit.sega.jp/fresh2016/jobcategory/

Excerpt taken from  the pending WIPO document link on my Sig:

"home video game machines; stand alone video output game machines; parts and accessories of arcade video game machines; apparatus for games; controllers for game consoles;headphones; memory cards for video game machine;"

And this:
http://www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk/news/13671-sega-amusements-international-is-open-for-business/

I'd like to make a topic on that matter regarding SEGA Amusements International if I have your permission.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 08:16:09 pm »
Not buy, partner with, to take on Sony. The rumors are out there on the net. I think there was a thread here in segabits that documented it too.

Toshiba is pretty big at at the time (a few years ago) pretty strong. They're involved in pretty much every electronics market other than gaming hardware. A partnership with Sega would be mutually beneficial. They each bring something to the table. Sega brings a ready-made gaming identity and Toshiba brings hardware know-how.

Toshiba Corporation,Inc has been considered a new merger partner of SEGA's for several years.
https://trademarks.justia.com/790/40/sega-sammy-79040246.html

And with SegaSammy's International SM Registration set to expire at the end of next year, I do see the possibly of Sega Holdings,Ltd merging with Toshiba once they become a public trading company a huge possibility.
e the possibly of SEGA Holdings,Ltd merging with Toshiba Corporation,Inc to be highly likely once Sega Holdings opens for public trading.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:21:41 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 09:14:05 pm »
Just an FYI, please don't double post. Edit your original comments please.