Author Topic: What if: a Shinobi sequel was made on the Bayonetta Engine?  (Read 24495 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
What if: a Shinobi sequel was made on the Bayonetta Engine?
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:35:13 pm »

So I thought this might make an interesting topic, as there was quite a discussion on this over IM the other day.

Lets say that Sega were to make a sequel to Shinobi using Bayonetta's engine, how should the game play?

Should they include a deep combat system, or keep it centered heavily on platforming, with only basic attacks to quickly dispose of enemies?

What should the platforming be like? Should it be stealthy and somewhat open like a fast paced Splinter Cell, or should it be linear and action packed?

I personally think that they should include a good combat system based heavily on speed and fluid combinations. I think that you should be able to take out enemies without having to stop, or at least stopping very briefly. Have it so that it's easy and fast to combine running, kunai throwing and up close sword attacks, so you can start attacking from far away and by the time you get close they are ready to be finished off.

While I can understand that platforming probably should be the focus, even the older Shinobi games had bosses and heavy enemies that took longer to take down, and in this case I think a good, but basic combat system would be important. Not having thousands of combos like Bayonetta, but the ablility to be attacking while moving quickly, and to chain all those attacks together should be the main focus, similar in some ways to the way attacks are chained with ease in Arkham Asylum.

So what do you guys think, and how do you picture the a possible Shinobi sequel?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: What if: a Shinobi sequel was made on the Bayonetta Engine?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »
I think it should have simple and fun combat system. Look at Batman's combat for his latest game, not that deep but gets the job done. I would like for them to focus on plateforming mixed with some action. Surfing? PLz.

I would like the stealth to be more like Uncharted 2, it was easy and not a pain in the ass like Splinter Cell's. The game should be fast paced, not slow.

Offline ribbitking17

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:52:00 pm »
I picture it exactly like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7gAjwMu7g

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:57:56 pm »
Quote from: "George"
I think it should have simple and fun combat system. Look at Batman's combat for his latest game, not that deep but gets the job done. I would like for them to focus on plateforming mixed with some action. Surfing? PLz.

I would like the stealth to be more like Uncharted 2, it was easy and not a pain in the ass like Splinter Cell's. The game should be fast paced, not slow.

Hey! Splinter Cell are some of my favourite games!

I agree that Shinobi should be nothing like Splinter Cell in terms of gameplay, but  I meant more the level design, so that you are dropped into a level and have various ways to get about/sneak around. OBviously in a Shinobi game it would be much faster, but you could dive out a window and ninja-shimmy across to another room, or you could wall jump up an elevator shaft to get to the same place etc.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »
I say make a badass action game, loads of set peice battles a deep combat system IF YOU SO CHOOSE... bring back that tate system was it called? from Shinobi PS2 where you wizz around and do that cool kill animation.

YEAH... oh and i guess it can have some platforming too keep those whiners happy!

:afroman:

*Waits for melt down*
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:46 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I say make a badass action game, loads of set peice battles a deep combat system IF YOU SO CHOOSE... bring back that tate system was it called? from Shinobi PS2 where you wizz around and do that cool kill animation.

YEAH... oh and i guess it can have some platforming too keep those whiners happy!

*Waits for melt down*

Shinobi is an action platforming game, not a fighting game.

How can you make a deep battle system optional in a platformer? You sound like you want Joe Musashi to turn into a werehog.  :roll:

Offline Sharky

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Quote from: "Sharky"

*Waits for melt down*

Shinobi is an action platforming game, not a fighting game.

How can you make a deep battle system optional in a platformer? You sound like you want Joe Musashi to turn into a werehog.  :roll:

Nope I want him to turn into a badass fighting machine from mars...

Joe Musashi has a sword yes? he swings it at the enemies yes?... If you really want ot you can bash the same P,P,P,P combo in Bayonetta and not make use of the endless fun combos, yes?

Well there you go... We have still have an action plaformer... But we can also have nice sexy combat for me... best of both worlds everyones happy win win win.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »
A sword is used for killing instantly, not tons of combos in the air. Shinobi games have always used this logic, even the crappiest of the them.

I just think it is stupid and has nothing to do with Shinobi to have a battle system, Shinobi was never like that. It is like, why not just play something like God of War instead? That is what you want, but to have SEGA on the boxart.

I do not see why you think it would be a good idea or would improve the series. Basically what you want is to make a entirely new series with the Shinobi name on it, that is just going to piss off way more fans than anything.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:14:07 pm »
A sword is used for killing instantly, not tons of combos in the air. Shinobi games have always used this logic, even the crappiest of the them.

I just think it is stupid and has nothing to do with Shinobi to have a battle system, Shinobi was never like that. It is like, why not just play something like God of War instead? That is what you want, but to have SEGA on the boxart.

I do not see why you think it would be a good idea or would improve the series. Basically what you want is to make a entirely new series with the Shinobi name on it, that is just going to piss off way more fans than anything.

Ah, but that IS a combat system. It's not a particularly deep combat system, but it WAS a combat system.

I don't know all that much about Shinobi, but I do know that Shinobi III had some enemies (even in the very first level) that took more than one hit to fell, and it also had bosses that took plenty of hits.

Now, I think that most enemies should be killable with one running swipe of the sword, or with a well thrown Kunai, BUT when you get to the tougher enemies and bosses, the combat system should be build around fluid and chaining attacks. EG. Big samurai lookin' mofo in front of you, instead of stopping and attacking, you should be able to double jump, throw a Kunai or two, then maybe land and hit a quick combination attack or something.

For bosses, who take even more attacks, let them have a pattern of attack etc, but when you get an opening allow for some big damage moves/combinations to fight the boss, rather than just having the one sword attack and one Kunai throw.

Does that sound like a good balance between the two ideas? You could have the fast paced action platforming with one hit kill enemies, then have some deeper combat for stronger baddies/bosses, or occasional areas (maybe) where there are lots of enemies around.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:46:54 pm »
In Shinobi games, there are enemies that take multiple hits, but never combos and stuff. You could get the power upgrade that makes you stronger, but at most enemies only took like three hits. It was also never really a fast platformer, the speed was optional, and that was good!

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:54 pm »
Assassins do not do combos, they are supposed to kill in single strikes. Shinobi is also more about projectiles than using his sword, anyway. That is just his secondary weapon.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55:33 pm »
In Shinobi games, there are enemies that take multiple hits, but never combos and stuff. You could get the power upgrade that makes you stronger, but at most enemies only took like three hits. It was also never really a fast platformer, the speed was optional, and that was good!

The bosses took more than three hits, and I suggest that the stronger enemies should only need a thrown kunai and a sword slash or two. I figure having some basic combo/attack links would be better than doing the same attack 2 or 3 times.

I agree it doesn't need to be a fast platformer, but that option should be there, and a good combat system would mean you don't need to be bogged down killing fodder enemies.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 12:07:30 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

The bosses took more than three hits, and I suggest that the stronger enemies should only need a thrown kunai and a sword slash or two. I figure having some basic combo/attack links would be better than doing the same attack 2 or 3 times.

I agree it doesn't need to be a fast platformer, but that option should be there, and a good combat system would mean you don't need to be bogged down killing fodder enemies.

Exactly... shame some people don't like options in their games.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 12:13:03 am »
Obviously the bosses would take more than three hits... They always have. Those are bosses... Even with this you almost always exclusively hit them with kunais.

Sharky basically wants something like God of War though, meaning like every enemy would take tons and tons of hits. He is missing the point the franchise and just thinks I am disagreeing because I do not want "Options". I just want it to be Shinobi, not every other damn hack n slash out there and have it to fall into obscurity because it is like everything else out there.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 12:56:34 am »
Obviously the bosses would take more than three hits... They always have. Those are bosses... Even with this you almost always exclusively hit them with kunais.

Sharky basically wants something like God of War though, meaning like every enemy would take tons and tons of hits. He is missing the point the franchise and just thinks I am disagreeing because I do not want "Options". I just want it to be Shinobi, not every other damn hack n slash out there and have it to fall into obscurity because it is like everything else out there.

If you think God of War is a complex battle system you are mental.
Bayonetta is a complex battle system and it rocks!

Made by SEGA