Author Topic: In This Topic We Bid Farewell to the Xbox 360 and the PS3  (Read 17044 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: In This Topic We Bid Farewell to the Xbox 360 and the PS3
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:36 am »
what was the one game that blew your mind last generation? For me it was totally Uncharted 2.

Bayonetta. I mentioned this on Skype the other day, but that game is about as close to perfection as I can think of.

Just about everything in that game, maybe barring the story, I cannot find flaw with. Even the story is memorable for it's silliness and it's basically there to fuel cool moments and lead to set-pieces, which is exactly what it should be for a game like this. And the characters were wonerful so even that was good.

Gameplay: Best action game I've ever played.
Graphics: Gorgeous looking game with amazing art direction and designs.
Music: One of the finest OSTs I've ever listened to, perfectly suited to the game.
Content/Longevity: Outrageous amounts of things to unlock, find and challenges to uncover. It's staggering how much there is to do in this game.

All in all, it's just outstanding.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:00 am »
For me it was Just Cause 2. Such a big area to explore and such an ingenious way to get around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IQtXROVDa4

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 03:00:22 pm »
For me Bioshock Infinite, no doubt. The game's story, atmosphere, and characters were fantastic. It was one game that i ran through(hard mode) and just couldn't stop playing. The ending tripped me the fuck out, definitely one i will remember for a very long time.

Honorable mentions are the Uncharted Trilogy and Mass Effect as well.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 06:42:55 pm »
There have been a ton of graphically impressive games: the very one that I can think of that blew my mind was Lost Odyssey, It was a massive JRPG, took forever to complete, had some of the most impressive visuals at the time. It was also one of the hardest JRPGs I've ever played.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:10 am »
There have been a ton of graphically impressive games: the very one that I can think of that blew my mind was Lost Odyssey, It was a massive JRPG, took forever to complete, had some of the most impressive visuals at the time. It was also one of the hardest JRPGs I've ever played.

You know that game for me was actually a huge disappointment. I think it was the game that made me realise I don't actually like JRPGs at all, I like SRPGS (Shining Force) and Skies of Arcadia.

It was overly long to the point where I stopped caring about half way through, the bosses were such a grind, the music was phenomenal but everything else was mostly very grindy or felt like a slog to me. Also most of the cutescenes were vomit-inducing. I might try it again one day, because despite everything I do have some fond memories of it. THAT MUSIC.

Oh also, It had one of the best trailers I can remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-x12UEo-rs

Come to think of it, this generation could be remembered for some awesome trailers. It was when they really started pushing games on TV commercials with licensed music and 'cinematic' trailers. Upsides and downsides obviously but some good ones I remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ixr2q8bHo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy8LRlS1SCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unz5_AH_nrI

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 09:34:06 am »
Just a question for any Xbox 360 owners here? How many did you go through? I've had 4.

4 Total. My original was sent back twice for RRoD = 3, then the DVD drive stopped reading new games and I had to get a friend to help solder a new one into it. That system died a few yeas later, so I eventually bought a refurb S-model just so I could keep playing my much-loved collection of XBLA games (Jet Set Radio, Doom). Despite the annoyances, and the investment to keep on gaming with it, the 360 was pretty damn great. It'll still be a few years before I remove it from my TV stand.

what was the one game that blew your mind last generation?

Tough one. Gears of War is what finally sold me on a 360, but Vanquish was that on steroids... so I'll go with Vanquish. I was pretty jaded with Gears by the time the third game came out, so I was stunned to see Vanquish offer such a unique deviation from a 3rd person, cover-based shooter. Especially since they penalized you for using cover, I still think that's hilarious.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »
Tough question. It was probably assassins creed 1. That game was so mindblowing at the time. Running and climbing around in the ancient middle east just felt so surreal. I Remember we all thought it was incredible. It remains the best setting in the franchise for me.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 01:04:48 pm »
Tough question. It was probably assassins creed 1. That game was so mindblowing at the time. Running and climbing around in the ancient middle east just felt so surreal. I Remember we all thought it was incredible. It remains the best setting in the franchise for me.

I actually remember my dad walking in one day when I was playing on the big screen TV and asking me "What movie is this?"
He usually makes dad jokes like that, so I just sort of went 'Hah, okay' and kept playing. He looked at me funny and said "No really, I don't think I've seen this, is it new?"
"It's a video game dad, Assassin's Creed."
"Bullshit, that's not a game"
"Look!" Showed him my controller

He actually called his friend who was in the other room to come in and have a look at the game and how insane the graphics were. Come to think of it, it was my dad and one of his friends (probably not the same guy) that first showed me to play Sonic on Mega Drive. Good times...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 01:48:31 pm »
If he thought that was good, Unity would blow his mind. While it had a few issues when it was first released, they've now been fixed with updates and the game really is fantastic. If not for it's issue, i think it could've been one of the best games for this gen thus far.

Probably should've mentioned Assassin's Creed as well, definitely one of my favorite franchises that got their start last gen.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 05:44:05 pm »
@MadeManGT

I'll give you that, nostalgia aside, Lost Odyssey had it's fair share of problems. And there were a handful of situations of which I wanted to hurl my controller across the room. Difficulty was one of those problems. A hard game, very unforgiving especially in Boss Battles. There was really one very specific way to beat most of the bosses in that game. And it felt like it took forever to finish.

The first trailer they showed was the intro cinematic with those two armies duking it out and Kaim stepping up to destroy all the enemies  and then seemingly transition to atual gameplay with barely any change. That was one of the most amazing things that I've seen.

FWiW, Lost Odyssey on the 360, along with Enchanted Arms and Blue Dragon were the first attempts from Microsoft to make that console appealing to everyone (until they devolved into the Kinect / CoD Yearly Update Box).

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 09:56:33 am »
I can't resist saying it anymore:

the past generation was (for the most part) complete garbage from 2008 onwards.
The rise of DLC, pay2win, paid "cheat codes", day-one patches, persistent online DRM, console menu ads, "cinematic" 30fps, the death of original gameplay ideas, SJW pandering, forced social interaction, let's players, introduction in mainstream "culture", burial of arcade gaming, etc.
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 01:29:46 pm »
I dunno how 'Let's Play' ruined gaming... its like... nothing to do with you buying a game. Game's have been mainstream since the Genesis days, so I really don't get much of that (including Arcades who have been dead since the late 90's)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 09:25:22 am »
I dunno how 'Let's Play' ruined gaming... its like... nothing to do with you buying a game. Game's have been mainstream since the Genesis days, so I really don't get much of that (including Arcades who have been dead since the late 90's)
It's not let's plays themselves (I like some). It's the culture behind it.
It's the fact that these shitfaced morons get paid millions to effectively control what people buy or not. There are quite a few articles about this. It's what makes Five Nights at Generic Jump Scares grab more attention and cash than games like Vanquish, Catherine, Ayy Lmao.

A few posts ago someone was talking how game trailers got much more cinematic.
Not saying it isn't cool, but who do you think they are trying to appeal to? Gaming has never been as mainstream as it is today. Problem is it's mostly for the worst, with entire game series being botchered to try and appeal to everyone. Mass Effect, COD (it actually used to be a darn good historic FPS), SimCity, even "mainstream" Halo, have been compromised and shat on to appeal to a single minded approach to gaming, which is NOT a good thing at all.

The arcades were dead, but arcade gaming was not. Now it is.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 12:06:55 am »
Some good points crackdude. The five nights at freddy stuff is rediculous. I was seeing it everywhere but never gave it attention myself. Then one day some youtuber I follow joined the bandwagon, I mean he has to right because its hot and s gotta get the potential viewers. So I watched......... and was dumbfounded. But at the end of the day the real fault are the viewers. It seems that all you gotta do to get attention is act like a lunatic on camera while playing a horror game. The sad thing is that like you said it empowers them to have control. I dont mean to sound petty but it just seems undeserved. Effort is rewarded as well, but less than the cheap ones.

On the flipside there's some great stuff too. Another shout out to DSP. A likable guy imo. People make fun of him because he's not the best at videogames. But I actually like watching his genuine effort to try and end up getting better at the games. Dont watch lets plays that often though.

Also yes. Lots of games are promoted as if they're movies. The latest deus ex trailer did nothing for me. I am a lot more interessted in how a game actually plays. Its weird because games arent movies. Shouldnt that be a strenght?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:22:13 am by CrazyT »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 06:54:53 am »
Nothing wrong with Let's Plays, of course there is some people I can't stand, but that's how life is in general, you aren't going to get along with everyone.

I'll have more to say on this later tonight, don't have time to make a post, but ill leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSH39aiTx2A