Author Topic: The Amazing 2012 Movie Discussion Rises: An Unexpected Journey  (Read 52381 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: The Amazing 2012 Movie Discussion Rises: An Unexpected Journey
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2012, 07:23:43 am »
[spoiler]Talia does fuck Bruce Wayne in the comics and she has a son who is the current Robin but you probably knew that.

Talia was trying to get closer to Bruce because he was the Batman, if setting up her nuclear plan mean't she would have to fuck him, so be it. Part of her plan was to get Bruce to trust her.

Also was surprised that Catwoman only knew who Batman was because Bane called him Bruce... then Gordon didn't suspect it either... so weird. While other characters all knew all along. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah I know but the comics built up a relationship between the two, if a very complicated one and one where Ra's eventually tries to kidnap their kid. Still here she was just thrown into it, meeting Bruce twice (Or three times?) before and than deciding to screw him.

The thing was, Bruce already gave her access to the reactor even before she decided to screw him, so what was the reason for having sex with him? He already trusted her a fair bit since he and Fox were the only two who knew about the reactor's location, was there any real need to bed him?

And yeah, I think that part was definitely handled poorly, but nothing takes the cake than Blake saying "I KNEW YOU WERE BATMAN BECAUSE I HAD THAT FACE TOO!" like seriously, he's just a rookie cop and works that out as opposed to Gordon who is an experienced copper?  It was so strange...[/spoiler]

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2012, 11:43:06 am »
[spoiler]The thing was, Bruce already gave her access to the reactor even before she decided to screw him, so what was the reason for having sex with him? He already trusted her a fair bit since he and Fox were the only two who knew about the reactor's location, was there any real need to bed him?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Could be to make that betrayal sting just that much more, before she literlally stabbed him in the back.[/spoiler]

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2012, 06:06:25 pm »
Bane's voice is the best thing about the trilogy.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »

Overall I would agree, but there were a few spots in the film where I was like "What did he just say??"
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2012, 10:02:42 am »
Well, I guess 20th Century Fox has officially given up on it's Daredevil reboot.

I'm playing Chopin's funeral march as I'm reading the article right now.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2012, 03:04:32 pm »
Well, I guess 20th Century Fox has officially given up on it's Daredevil reboot.

I'm playing Chopin's funeral march as I'm reading the article right now.

Good stuff. Rights revert back to Marvel, and the world is as it should be.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:57 pm »
Have you guys read the new Daredevil? The dude just wants to be caught. There is a scene where someone really thinks he is Daredevil and she accuses him of it and all he response with is "You have no proof" with a shit eating smirk on his face.

Then in a company party he comes with devil horns and a sweater that says "I'm  Daredevil".

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:28 pm »
With Expendables 2 being the last big film of the summer I thought it'd be neat to hear what our favorite summer movies were.

My top three were:

1. The Avengers
2. Brave
3. The Dark Knight Rises

The Avengers totally blew me away and it is most certainly my new favorite comic book movie. Brave was really fun and I loved the setting and soundtrack, it is the best animated film thus far for this year!
As for The Dark Knight Rises, I have to be honest and say I didn't like it as much as Batman Begins or The Dark Knight but it was still a really engaging film and I thought it ended the trilogy on an interesting note.

What summer films did you guys love?
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »
I like the Expendables 2. The Arnold bit with the Smart cracked me up :)
I thought it was a good throwback to the silly action movies of the 80/90s
SEG4GES

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »

Is this a sarcastic comment?  Because his voice was the worst thing about the movie.  Im not even sure what they were going for.  It was like sean connery meets winnie the pooh on steroids.  To add insult to injury he was impossible to understand during some key philosophical discussions. 

Dark knight Rises was the worst movie I've seen all year and an utter disappointment.  Ever scene was flat and devoid of tension, every line was incomprehensible dribble, and there were so many plot holes and ridiculous character decisions that it was impossible to get invested in.  How you all managed to enjoy it is beyond me; it was nonsense.   

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2012, 01:29:00 pm »
Now now, some people like chunky peanut butter, some like smooth. I liked TDKR a lot, so did a lot of other people. You disliked it, and I'm sure (in fact I know) others didn't. To each his/her own.

Buuuuuut, since this IS the internet:

Each scene was flat? Sure a few scenes were flat, but there were so so many that I thought were either brilliantly acted or expanded greatly on characters running through the past two movies.

Devoid of tension? Well I went in [spoiler]not knowing if Batman would die, so I was on the edge of my seat. Same goes for the fate or Fox and Gordon. Either could have died for all I knew.[/spoiler]

Incomprehensible dribble (I think you meant drivel)? Aside from two lines from Bane, I understood every line of dialogue and drivel it was not. Drivel implies foolishness or childish. I didn't detect any of that in the dialogue. I think you're just being extreme in your opinion on that one.

The plot holes and ridiculous character decisions... please present them because all the ones I've heard in past arguments are either easily explained or are just nitpicking.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »
fair enough, let's get to it. 

What I meant by scenes being flat is that they weren't staged in interesting or iconic ways.  There was nothing memorable or striking imagery wise what so ever.  In the final conflict, Bane and Batman are trading blows in broad daylight, on a flat surface in the middle of a mosh pit.  Not to mention that Batman defeats Bane due to no cleverness or inventiveness of his own.  He more or less pummels the dude in the exact same fashion he did when they first squared off.  Where as in TDK, every batman vs joker moment is an absolute treat.  How amazing was the game of chicken they played with batman on the motorcycle and joker with the tommy gun?  There ent a single moment like that in all of Rises. 

Tension comes from you caring about characters.  We do have a soft spot for Wayne himself given that we've spent two movies with him but characters like the Joseph Gordon Levitt character do nothing to justify us caring at all.  Gordon was specifically confusing in the film.  His motivations and wants were muddled beyond belief.

And by incomprehensible drivel (yes drivel, not dribble sorry) I mean the thematic elements of the film.  I don't understand why Gotham is specifically being singled out as a city that needs to be demolished and I'm not sure what it is that Bane is trying to prove about its inhabitants.  Joker was very very clear on this point.  He was a representative of anarchy and was trying to prove that people would turn on each other if they were only given the chance(and hey, he was wrong).  Bane on the other hand was just confusing.  It makes sense in Begins for Raz al Ghul to be particularly invested in Gotham because the filmmakers did such a great job of making a character out of the city itself.  But in Rises, it just looks in about in the same shape as any city I've ever been to.  But what Bane was "trying to prove" ends up not even mattering because he was just a thug in the end.

And as for potholes and ridiculous decisions the major one that slew me was that Joseph Gordon Levitt guessed Batman's identity in the first 15 min of the film with one of the worst explanations I've ever heard(I recognized your fake smile because I wore one everyday at the orphanage).  Even worse than that?  It was treated like it was no big deal. 

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2012, 03:57:54 pm »
I wasn't a fan of Joseph Gordon Levitt's character either. During the film's ending the nod they made to another Batman character came off as a bit silly to me and it also irked the comic fan in me because that is not the real name of that character.

While I did enjoy the film I do agree with some of the points you made Radrappy. Those are some of reasons why I felt The Dark Knight Rises was my least favorite of the three films.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:01:06 pm by CosmicCastaway »
Unlimited Continues:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2012, 09:43:00 am »
Holy shit! Watch this NOW!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7fNZRlbkLO8[/youtube]

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2012, 07:38:14 am »
Arriety disappointed me greatly...the weakest of The Borrower's franchise for sure.

DKR was pretty much what I'd hoped for from Christopher Nolan, but I still think that Dark Knight is much better.

Not watched Promethious yet, but I heard it wasn't great.

Hunger Games was amazing! Being a fan of Shades of Grey, I love Dystopian Adventures where the Hero/ine(s) have some form of hope.

Ghost Rider was pretty good too, although it wasn't the best Marvel Film I've ever watched (that goes to Avengers), I deem it worth a watch.

Not many films have impressed me from 2012 releases, although I watched most of the Ghibli Films this year and was impressed by Howl's Moving Castle.

Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.