Off Topic > Everything Else

Jesus

(1/8) > >>

crackdude:

--- Quote from: "George" ---
--- Quote from: "crackdude" ---
--- Quote from: "George" ---For the record, Jesus gave people terrible advice.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, cause having a simple life, spreading love and having humility are all terrible things to do  :roll:
--- End quote ---
Because quiting your job, giving away your stuff is logical advice. Did I even mention no to self defense? Very good.

--- End quote ---
No to self defense is figurative, not literal.
And quitting your job and giving away your stuff wasn't advice. Jesus walked a lot with the purpose of teaching the people about God. Those who wanted to be most close to him and follow him around had no way of keeping a job and carrying all their stuff around for 3 full years..
In fact, many of Jesus' advice pushed the idea of hard work and providing stuff for your family.

The fact that many religions take liberties in their interpretations of the Bible doesn't change what Jesus actually said. All good stuff me thinks..

fluffymoochicken:

--- Quote from: "crackdude" ---No to self defense is figurative, not literal.
--- End quote ---
Actually, it was more or less was literal, because the Roman emperor Constantine wanted it to be that way. That's why Jesus says to never fight back or resist the powers that be.

It's also the reason why Jesus says, "Always pay your taxes to Rome!" The whole religion is founded on indoctrination by an empire that crumbled over 1500 years ago. A lot of the teachings are irrelevant to the modern world. :P

George:
Sounds like you are taking his word and applying your own meaning. This is good, since he gave really horrible advice, someone has to turn it around and make logical sense of it.

Jesus about family?

"And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." - Matthew 10:21

Talking about his peaceful nature, he curses a whole city to hell for not "repenting".

"Then Jesus began to denounce the cities in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. "Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. " - Matthew 11:20-11:22

There is also a passage where Jesus approves of beating slaves, meaning he is OK with slavery. I'm not OK with that. Sorry that I'm not as peaceful and loving as Jesus.

"And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes." - Luke 12:47

Shocked that a person like you would even approve of men leaving their children and wife behind to follow other  men and go into some desert. You do know that women could not really work back in those days? Not to mention give away all his stuff their family could have used.

Great teachings.

Sharky:
I've no idea what’s going on here but I can tell you flat out that while there is enough evidence that a man named Jesus that many people thought to be the son of god existed.

What he 'said' according to the bible is probably all a load of rubbish, trace the bible far back enough and you'll find that the church basically picked and choose the gospels that best suited what they wanted their followers to believe. There was many more gospels including one written by 'Mary' and all of them paint rather different pictures of events. There were plenty that didn't make the final cut.

To be honest I would take any quotes in the bible as a pinch of salt, chances are over time people have added too it and edited and twisted it in ways that best suits them. They were written after Jesus died anyway...

If you want to believe in Jesus, god etc or any religion for that matter then go for it but I really don't suggest taking anything written in holy books as 'matter of fact'.

fluffymoochicken:

--- Quote from: "George" ---There is also a passage where Jesus approves of beating slaves, meaning he is OK with slavery. I'm not OK with that. Sorry that I'm not as peaceful and loving as Jesus.

"And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes." - Luke 12:47
--- End quote ---
Lol, the Biblical passages on slavery were used by anti-abolitionists in the United States to try and sway votes in favor of keeping slavery.

Again, it shows how the Bible is not relevant to the modern world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version