Author Topic: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?  (Read 81762 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 09:14:32 am »
Spencer actually proved Nintendo get's better treatment in US media outlets, ask him about it.

Also I don't think George specifically pointed out SEGA either, but rather the fact the game is being released incomplete, no voice chat and the lack of options that Nintendo has gotten away with but most other publishers would, quite rightly, be blasted for.

And come on, console manufactures often always get better reviews because of console specific magazines and in general their stronger hold over game magazines than regular publishers barring Activision or Electronic Arts.

Why do I have to ask him directly?

But you're right George didn't say anything about Sega this time, I just usually hear the two being mentioned in the same breath.

I can buy console manufacturers getting favourable treatment, but I feel as if most big publishers do, despite glaring flaws.

Maybe it's just that I don't follow any gaming news/reviews at all anymore.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 09:18:46 am »
Why do I have to ask him directly?

But you're right George didn't say anything about Sega this time, I just usually hear the two being mentioned in the same breath.

I can buy console manufacturers getting favourable treatment, but I feel as if most big publishers do, despite glaring flaws.

Maybe it's just that I don't follow any gaming news/reviews at all anymore.

Because Spencer had the spreadsheet and you're in the Skype group with us, what do I look like, YOU'RE ERRAND BOY?! D:

Big publishers do too, but really it depends how much they're willing to pay. It's not "direct" bribery but stuff like free consoles, limited editions, that sort of stuff. Only the big publishers go all out like that (And honestly that's only the 3 major third parties left anyway, so it's not like they have much competition left.)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 09:22:03 am »
Because Spencer had the spreadsheet and you're in the Skype group with us, what do I look like, YOU'RE ERRAND BOY?! D:

Big publishers do too, but really it depends how much they're willing to pay. It's not "direct" bribery but stuff like free consoles, limited editions, that sort of stuff. Only the big publishers go all out like that (And honestly that's only the 3 major third parties left anyway, so it's not like they have much competition left.)

I'm pretty sure they all do that kind of stuff, not just the big guys.

As for Spencer, I wasn't sure if it was something in an article or whatever. If it's a spreadsheet or whatever I'll bring it up next time I see him online.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 10:07:25 am »
Spencer actually proved Nintendo get's better treatment in US media outlets, ask him about it.

I don't know who Spencer is but Tropical Freeze and Rainbow Curse would like a word with you.  Seriously, the whole "nintendo gets better treatment" argument is super stale in 2015. 

Also I don't think George specifically pointed out SEGA either, but rather the fact the game is being released incomplete, no voice chat and the lack of options that Nintendo has gotten away with but most other publishers would, quite rightly, be blasted for.

They ARE getting blasted for it.  It's mentioned in practically every review and points are docked for it. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:13:29 am by Radrappy »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:54 am »
I don't know who Spencer is but Tropical Freeze and Rainbow Curse would like a word with you.  Seriously, the whole "nintendo gets better treatment" argument is super stale in 2015. 

He's the guy that very rarely posts here when he gets lost on the way to /pol/

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2015, 10:12:01 am »

Well you're free to show me that Nintendo performs as well in Europe as they do in America. You can go dig in one of the old threads with Taroyamada's posts about this if you want. Or I'll get Spencer to post his spreadsheet here the next time I see him.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2015, 10:15:23 am »
Well you're free to show me that Nintendo performs as well in Europe as they do in America. You can go dig in one of the old threads with Taroyamada's posts about this if you want. Or I'll get Spencer to post his spreadsheet here the next time I see him.

Go ahead.  I'm not digging up anything. 

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 10:16:26 am »
Well you're free to show me that Nintendo performs as well in Europe as they do in America.

Is it specific to the US that has the supposed bias?

Not trying to troll/discredit, genuine question.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2015, 10:40:22 am »
Is it specific to the US that has the supposed bias?

Not trying to troll/discredit, genuine question.

Yes for the most part I believe so (And Japan I guess?)

It's pretty normal to have bias in this industry. EDGE give UK developers high scores because well, they have a British bias.

We were talking about this the other day that people who grew up on Sonic games can't get into Mario games and vice versa. This isn't some sort of massive conspiracy that Nintendo selectively controls all forms of media, it just so happens they had a decent period of dominance in the US, likewise I'm not saying certain companies don't get favourable reviews either. The majority of Sonic's high scores these past few years have mainly come from European magazines and sites, games like Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic 4 Episode 1 enjoy a decent metacritic thanks to how popular Sonic was in Europe. Normally you'd have a point if the spread was evenly match from one game to another but Spencer found European outlets usually gave SEGA an additional 8 - 10 points I believe.

(Yes you can tell me SEGA has a European bias and I'd have no problem agreeing to that. I've stated my position on this subject before.)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2015, 11:36:22 am »
Microsoft has sites for and against it as well. So does sony. Bias is everywhere. Dont see the need to point that out honestly...Well especially since how nintendo is pretty much ignored in the big race in general, also all the bashing and vitriol towards the wii u has only stopped recently. Didnt see much defense during that period. On the contrary a lot of sites would point out games "being on the wii u" as an argument to lower scores lol. Damn im glad thats over.

Im getting splatoon tomorrow so im gonna see if its really that legit. The testfire proved that it is a fun game, but for how long itll keep me interested ill find out soon myself. I can imagine a lot of the good scores are a result of the game being undeniable fun. Like despite all the stuff against it, when all's said and done, its just a really solid and fun experience. Well thats what I hope since im buying the game
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:45:48 am by CrazyT »

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2015, 11:52:03 am »
We were talking about this the other day that people who grew up on Sonic games can't get into Mario games and vice versa.

Do you also have a spreadsheet for this?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2015, 11:59:48 am »
Do you also have a spreadsheet for this?

I don't need spreadsheets for obvious facts.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »
I don't need spreadsheets for obvious facts.

Well this'll blow your mind then: I grew up on Sonic and also really enjoy Mario games. 

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2015, 12:18:48 pm »
Well this'll blow your mind then: I grew up on Sonic and also really enjoy Mario games. 

I think you're taking my comments a little TOO seriously. It was a reference to a discussion me and Luke had a couple of weeks back but thankfully this is something I can dig up. I look forward to you giving Luke a dressing down on his comment:

"Also, is it just me, or do Nintendo fans just find it impossible to 'get' Sonic? You know the ones I'm talking about, they never owned or played anything other than Nintendo consoles, then get Sonic on Virtual Console and said 'Yeah I don't really like it, I don't really get it'."

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3586.msg77319#msg77319

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:17 pm »
I think you're taking my comments a little TOO seriously.

Yeah, I only realized you were being 100% tongue in cheek 5 mins after I posted.  Apologies.