Author Topic: New Star Wars trailer...  (Read 45682 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
New Star Wars trailer...
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:51:21 am »
Teaser trailer for the new Star Wars movie...what do ya think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=erLk59H86ww

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: New Star Wars trailer...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:31:31 pm »
I came 6 times.
SEG4GES

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:06:11 pm »
The reveal of the "The Force Awakens" subtitle at the end looked a bit amateurish. Either way, can't wait to find out more about this.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 12:17:22 am »
POSITIVES:

- The X-Wings zipping across a watery surface looked gorgeous.
- Stormtroopers actually looked intimidating again.
- The Falcon reveal. Tie-Fighters looked a tad strange, though I'm sure they've been tweaked a bit for this new series.

NEGATIVES:

- It's a glorified teaser. Not enough actual footage. Too many fades to black for my liking.
- The lightsaber doesn't make any sense to me. What purpose do those little spurts at the side serve? Hopefully they'll explain that.
- After all the "film is real, digital's crap" talk J.J. has been spewing as of late, the lack of model effects is somewhat disappointing.

I don't get it. Why is digital perfectly servicable for visual effects, as well as editing your "film", though it isn't good enough for capturing live images? That makes very little sense to me.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 04:02:25 am »
I didn't like the tri-light saber and I agree the thing doesn't seem functional, its missing a curve but I thought the closes thing was a Sai weapon. Who the hell knows.

Also thinking Sai since Jedi have always been influence by Samurai and Ninjas used Sai to defend themselves against Samurai. But really think I'm just reading too much into this and its probably so he won't get his hand chopped so easily, considering its a problem with other light saber fighters in the saga before:

http://gfycat.com/EverlastingFelineGrayfox

Imagine if this blade was around, the Skywalker family tree would have more hands in it.

Also this Teaser trailer is like a thousand times better than some of the teasers for the original trilogy. I mean, look at this one for Empire Strikes Back, 0 seconds of footage from the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omcxaMEGha0

*random explosion in the end*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:09:47 am by George »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:54 am »
Too many black people. etc etc

For real, I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but it looked pretty good. I'm with George, I'm guessing the juts out the side are meant to be like a hand-guard or pommel, but it doesn't really work for a laser sword.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »
Laser swords don't make any sense to begin with. How do you limit light? ajgoafrehylfyekjhf
SEG4GES

Offline ROJM

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 05:36:32 am »
Also thinking Sai since Jedi have always been influence by Samurai and Ninjas used Sai to defend themselves against Samurai. But really think I'm just reading too much into this and its probably so he won't get his hand chopped so easily, considering its a problem with other light saber fighters in the saga before:

You on the right track..if you watch Rebels..the inquisitors in that show...who are the main enemies  in the new movie..have double use lightsabers. So the sai thing is actually plausable especially since the ninjas and samurai have had beef with each other traditionally ...the jedi we all know are obviously based on samurai..but the sith..we don't really know anything  apart from what we have seen..and nothing else is really revealed on how their society works..we can't count the novels anymore they are not canon now...if they are using the japaense influence it makes sense to use the dishonoured samurai and the assassin code of the ninjas for the sith...and technically assassination /stelth/dirty jobs..that's what the emperor used Darth Maul and FAKE vADER for in episode 1 and episode 3...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:42:30 am by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:51 am »
You on the right track..if you watch Rebels..the inquisitors in that show...who are the main enemies  in the new movie..have double use lightsabers.

Inquisitors being villains in the new movies is only a rumor at this point. Another rumor floating about is that the lightsaber wielding character in the trailer is a collector of Sith artifacts, sort of a Sith fanboy/girl with a possible relation to Count Dooku.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:15:48 am »
Inquisitors being villains in the new movies is only a rumor at this point. Another rumor floating about is that the lightsaber wielding character in the trailer is a collector of Sith artifacts, sort of a Sith fanboy/girl with a possible relation to Count Dooku.
Nah..the Inquisitor rumor is VERY legit.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 02:03:58 pm »
Effective tease. +1

Gruff narrator. +2

Odd juxtaposition of footage, since we don't know how the shots relate to each other. +0

Visual-effects-money-shot before the title = joygasm. +7

10/10.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:55:23 am »
To me the teaser is good just isn't classic Star Wars  and by that i mean the style of the original trilogy.Some shots  like the Stormtroopers  bit look like very Abrhams style.  Other shots like Daisy Ridley riding that bike and the rollerball droid is very Phantom Menace style...which i hate. Xwing on the river too cgi reminded me of AOTC. The bit with the arm swapping bad guy in the forest...didn't look like a SW shot at all.  The stuff with the Millennium Falcon was closest but it got spoiled by the artificial LENS FLAIR(whoo!(sorry couldn't resist..which is why i didn't spell it out as flare) that Abrahams tends to uses..also it looked to unreal compared to the OT. Done good don't get me wrong..good teaser...but i don't see any of the problems that the prequels had being dealt with in this film..how its shot..the style of it..and the SFX..

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 05:59:21 am »
Laser swords don't make any sense to begin with. How do you limit light? ajgoafrehylfyekjhf
The same way flying through space and making a sound...when space has no vacuum to create sound noises...fool. ;-D ;) ..this is SW ::) ..not rocket science.... ;-D

If it was star trek..then we'd all be in trouble....and people will try to convince you that there really are klingons..and those things can happen...and that star trek invented the mobile phone..when the idea of the mobile phone came from the Army's walky talkies back in WW2...

and ps i'm pissing about with crackdude..no insult intended.
Except for star trek....

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:06:25 am by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 06:03:21 am »
Too many black people. etc etc

Screw that...where the fuck's Lando!?!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 07:05:31 am »
To me the teaser is good just isn't classic Star Wars  and by that i mean the style of the original trilogy.

Yeah I felt the same way but I didn't know if me thinking something was "off" had to do with me not being a big Star Wars fan. The camera work, picture quality etc didn't really feel like it belonged with the Star Wars series.