Author Topic: Politics  (Read 47067 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Politics
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 02:02:12 pm »
We'll have to wait and see. I don't think 'The UK is doomed' like so many are claiming, but it will be difficult. The interesting thing about the SNP pondering on another independents ref is the actual results on the night. Sure, many did want to remain, but many also wanted to leave (38% of the vote).

Despite all this, I don't think they will leave. Right now, their biggest financial asset (oil) is worthless and being in the EU won't help with that.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:30 am »
The reason i say England instead of the UK is because there probably won't be a UK in 2 years.

Excuse me Wales will always  be part of England . And to be honest leaving the EU will be best thing ever to happen to the UK in years.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:16:50 pm by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 04:48:40 pm »
I wonder if any other European countries are planning to leave Europe. I also wonder if Texas will have a Texit vote and become a seperate country from the United States.

Offline Tad

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 05:04:34 pm »
5 other countries have now at least played around with the idea, but I suspect many will be waiting to see what happens to the UK.

The problem there though, is the UK is in a far better place than some. Even after the pound dropped we're still stronger than the Euro. Our financial markets are heading up already and even the EU have said they want to continue working with us.

Like I said, it'll be messy, but the UK will recover fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:11:54 pm by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 07:10:26 am »
Just an update.

The Scottish National Party (SNP) could block the exit. There's a rule in the EU rules that states if a nation part of the country did not vote out, they have the option to block the vote.

I'm not sure how it will work out. Still, maybe it's not all bad: https://youtu.be/i9cLwoTkWes
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:35:01 am by Tad »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 04:55:02 pm »
So if Scotland says no, then only Scotland will remain in the E.U.? Wouldn't that cause a war?

I think if Germany declares independence from Europe, then World War 3 will happen. That's exactly how the other two started.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 06:25:39 pm »
Germany IS the Eurozone.
If they leave the EU, it collapses on the spot.

That being said, Germany won't cause World War III by leaving the EU.

World War I started because of Rampant Nationalism aided by a dozen different treaties in conflict with each other.
World War II started because of people being dummies after World War I and German aggression against its neighbors. Germany has no nuclear deterrent, if it tries to start anything it will probably be wiped out by France or Britain, proceeding either or both don't steamroll the dormant German military.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 11:30:45 pm »
Now that we have NATO and American army, its not going to be easy to start World War III. Tho I'm sure the businesses that profit from wars would love it.

Offline Tad

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 10:07:38 am »
Some interesting develops. Our (er, UK) government will not trigger the start of leaving till they are ready. For those who don't know, in order to leave the EU, you need to tell them you're leaving in the form of a letter or verbally while in the presence of each EU country - through media doesn't count.

I think one of these could be the outcome:

1, the government can just say to the people 'no'. It'll probably end their political career, but if things are that bad, I personally don't think it would. They are in charge to look after our wellbeing after all.

2, As Scotland and NI didn't vote to leave, they could block the entire exit - meaning the UK stays in the EU.

3, We'll leave the EU with 'Leave' voters disappointed as in order to access the single market, we'd need free movement of people.

4, We leave and somehow come to a agreement that allows access to the single market without free movement.

The markets have took a huge hit, but it's not been as bad as many thought. The Pound and the FTSE will jump up once we have more a plan set out anyway.

Offline Tad

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 10:49:30 am »
So the next PM will be either May or Leadsom. The second women PM since Thatcher.

May wanted to stay in the EU, Leadsom didn't. However, Leadsom is apparently the likely winner and she didn't even want to leave till recently, which people find odd.

More interesting however, both have said they'll only trigger A50 when they're ready. Sounds to me like neither are feeling brave enough to do it and there's a lot of pace gathering to the idea that the UK won't leave now. Things like it needs to go through Parliament first (most there didn't want to leave), then there's legal action against the gov about the certain things.

It's all looking like it won't after all this.

Offline Tad

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 06:34:52 am »
So, Leadsom has stepped out making May the only candidate for the PM of the UK. Guessing it'll take a few days to transfer power.

Update: May to be Prime minister on Wednesday. The markets and pound here is getting stronger for it and the question now turns to who will be her team. Once that's done, it'll be brexit. I'm not so sure of when that will happen though. It's pretty obvious everyone we can are going around the world making trade deals as we speak for the country once article 50 is triggered.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:17:23 am by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 11:37:19 am »
David Cameron has had his resignation accepted by the Queen. Theresa May is now being made PM by the Queen.

Arise Darth May.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 12:06:43 pm »
what's the point of having a queen if she impacts fuck all
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 12:14:22 pm »
Meh, it's tradition I guess. Personally, I'd prefer the Queen to ride into parliament on a white horse swinging a mace to hit someone, but what can you do.

Here's the PM's theme song: https://youtu.be/h7c-n4k3XrU

Offline Tad

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 12:24:12 pm »
Seriously though, having her as our PM will probably help us dealing with our exit from the EU if it happens. She's going to make their life hell in negotiations.