Author Topic: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic  (Read 100620 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2013, 08:14:48 pm »
but the demos exist, japan got both 3ds and wii u demos.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2013, 09:07:14 pm »
It's not really a trivial thing to prepare a demo. It takes time, not only in setting up the demo-specific code but also the various certification processes, and if the development team has no time to spare in working on the full title, they're not going to divert resources to create a demo.

Absolutely, but

a) the demo exists and was released in Japan and
b) the demo even has multiple language options implying that it was intended for other regions as well.

the only thing I can think of is that SoA,SoE couldn't get their shit together. 

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2013, 11:53:44 am »
Absolutely, but

a) the demo exists and was released in Japan and
b) the demo even has multiple language options implying that it was intended for other regions as well.

the only thing I can think of is that SoA,SoE couldn't get their shit together. 

Or more so you don't experience the controls for yourself to make that important purchase decision.

Demos should be legalised in the gaming industry, so not making one would be against regulations....it'll somewhat curb piracy to test games in their full package without buying and would give the audience a fair statement as to whether they want to play the game or not.

Selective Demos annoys me so much since it prevents me from playing X game in case it sucks.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
japan bomba
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87734908&postcount=493

uk bomba
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

us bomba
coming soon

edit: incase you dont know what bomba means, it's a term used for a game selling horribly and rapidly falling off the charts/getting discounts

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2013, 02:51:24 pm »
It's only a bomb if it doesn't meet expectations.

With that said, there's no way this will reach Generations' level of sales. Weren't those disappointing too?

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2013, 02:55:39 pm »
It's only a bomb if it doesn't meet expectations.

With that said, there's no way this will reach Generations' level of sales. Weren't those disappointing too?

That is true. but the way SEGA talked about this game made it sound like they had super high expectations sales wise, but that could of just been PR talk.

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2013, 02:58:57 pm »
That is true. but the way SEGA talked about this game made it sound like they had super high expectations sales wise, but that could of just been PR talk.

Probably just PR talk. IIRC there was quite the rage when this was announced to be a Nintendo Exclusive.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2013, 03:05:57 pm »
http://www.twitch.tv/nyteworks/b/473879972

for anyone whos bored and wants to see Ian Flynn gets super frustrated and literally start to break down :P

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2013, 04:35:30 pm »
every Sonic game is a bomba in Japan. :V

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2013, 03:28:26 am »
Got the game. Played the first 4 acts.

Not too bad, but definitely different enough from Colors and Generations to potentially frustrate gamers who have come to rely on those two games as their Sonic gameplay staple (like myself).

The 3d Stages don't play like Mario if that's what you're afraid of, but then again, they don't really play like sonic either. The 3d stage gameplay is like something altogether new. I don't hate it and really if it was skinned as a new platforming character it would definitely get praised for originality. Some of the level design really takes advantage of this new play style, but it's not consistent throughout (again, only played first 4 acts).

One of the acts I played was strictly 2d gameplay and for Mario haters it's bad news as its VERY much like a 2d Mario game. My wife never plays Sonic games (any of them, even Genesis ones) as she always complains that they go too fast for her. She grew up on Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Well one look at me playing the 2d act and the first thing she said was "Wow, imitation Mario" and sadly, I have to agree (2d acts only). The look, the pacing, the gameplay, the music, the ratio of environment to player size, all of it screams Mario. The impression really hits you hard as soon as you start the act.

It is all forgivable though and if this was the next game after Sonic 06 or even Unleashed, I'd be happy. But after seeing the potential of Colors and Generations, it's hard not to think of how much better the 2d implementation of those games were.

Still though, seeing the reviews it has gotten, they're being completely unfair. This game from the outset is MILES away from Sonic 06 and is already more bearable than Unleashed.

TL;DR
This is Sonic in another world that is basically not a Sonic Game, but it's not bad either.

I gave Colors and Generations 9/10. So far, I would give this 7/10, maybe even 8/10 if I'm comparing to platformers all-round instead of just Sonic games.   

Spoiler Alert

Storyline wise, the game is totally Sonic Colors 2.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:30:23 am by Randroid »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:11 am »
but the demos exist, japan got both 3ds and wii u demos.

Ah... I see. That is unusual.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2013, 12:37:01 pm »
Got the game. Played the first 4 acts.

Not too bad, but definitely different enough from Colors and Generations to potentially frustrate gamers who have come to rely on those two games as their Sonic gameplay staple (like myself).

The 3d Stages don't play like Mario if that's what you're afraid of, but then again, they don't really play like sonic either. The 3d stage gameplay is like something altogether new. I don't hate it and really if it was skinned as a new platforming character it would definitely get praised for originality. Some of the level design really takes advantage of this new play style, but it's not consistent throughout (again, only played first 4 acts).

One of the acts I played was strictly 2d gameplay and for Mario haters it's bad news as its VERY much like a 2d Mario game. My wife never plays Sonic games (any of them, even Genesis ones) as she always complains that they go too fast for her. She grew up on Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Well one look at me playing the 2d act and the first thing she said was "Wow, imitation Mario" and sadly, I have to agree (2d acts only). The look, the pacing, the gameplay, the music, the ratio of environment to player size, all of it screams Mario. The impression really hits you hard as soon as you start the act.

It is all forgivable though and if this was the next game after Sonic 06 or even Unleashed, I'd be happy. But after seeing the potential of Colors and Generations, it's hard not to think of how much better the 2d implementation of those games were.

Still though, seeing the reviews it has gotten, they're being completely unfair. This game from the outset is MILES away from Sonic 06 and is already more bearable than Unleashed.

TL;DR
This is Sonic in another world that is basically not a Sonic Game, but it's not bad either.

I gave Colors and Generations 9/10. So far, I would give this 7/10, maybe even 8/10 if I'm comparing to platformers all-round instead of just Sonic games.   

Spoiler Alert

Storyline wise, the game is totally Sonic Colors 2.

Got it last night too.  I was the only person at the midnight launch there for Sonic in a sea of Battlefield/Assassin's creed bros.  When I told the cashiers I was there for lost world, they cheered.

The game itself is adequately fun and my impressions mirror yours Randroid.  I was really unhappy with Generations though, so I think I'm getting more enjoyment out of it.  It's fun to get items through the challenges though it's very easy to forget you even have them.  The only level thus far I've really hated was Tropical Coast 1.  Alternately, I think the best level so far has been the fruit juicing Tropical Coast 2.  I actually even liked the rail grinding level even though I typically hate them.  The addition of red rails that slow you down and green ones that speed you up was a smart one. 

What's immediately shocking about the game is the lengths to which they had to reinvent the wheel just to get a free roaming 3d sonic game working again.  It needs a lot of tooling but I don't think I can go back to the terrible boost styled racing track gameplay after this.  Hopefully they make another game in this style that features levels comprised entirely of Desert Ruins Act 1/ Tropical coast Act 2 styled levels.  The game works best in wide open environments where you can see obstacles coming and there aren't so many cheap pitfalls waiting.

So far I'm liking it a tiny bit more than Generations, and considerably less than Colors.  I've only made it to the 4th world though, and according to reviewers that's where it all goes south.  I've already started stocking up on lives, which may aid the coming frustration.         

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2013, 12:49:10 pm »
Awaiting on the Wii U version in the mail, got the 3DS version when the store opened this morning. Since I'm at work, I was only able to play for 15 minutes. But so far the 3DS controls are pretty great. Reminds me of an easier to control SA2. I like that the bouncing ball attack is back, and the elemental shields are cool to see again (well, Generations had them but not in the normal stages).

I can't form an opinion on the console version yet, but I will say that I LOVED Generations... but it was not the direction I wanted for the series. Generations, I thought, REFINED what we had in Unleashed while the 2D stages did a good job at translating the Genesis gameplay to 3D (far better than Sonic 4 did). All in all, Generations was a best of compilation, bringing together what was at the time the best that the series had to offer all in one game. I really can't imagine a game after Generations that reuses the same controls and gameplay style, it would just be more of the same. It would get stale, like the NSMB titles.

From what I've seen and heard, Lost World is best approached as Colors 2. It's the Colors mechanics with revisions and additions.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »
Got it last night too.  I was the only person at the midnight launch there for Sonic in a sea of Battlefield/Assassin's creed bros.  When I told the cashiers I was there for lost world, they cheered.

Hey Rad, have you gotten the Download Code for the Nightmare world to work?

Friggen WiiU, can never tell if any internet related failures are "normal" or not.

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2013, 05:50:22 am »
Codes aren't working for Canada right now.
Grammar Expert Plus