Author Topic: Official "Going Abroad" topic  (Read 29831 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Official "Going Abroad" topic
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:19 am »
I can't seem to find any topics on here at the moment, so I thought I'd post an official one here.

People can chip in on advice and who to go for when booking holidays or not in addition to hotel pricing and flight tickets.

I talked to crackdude about Portugal, and his advice is very good since him and max_cady live there. I will likely take his advice when I visit Portugal sometime in the future.

My next question (which is likely to Barry/George or even Will), is this:

How much do you need for Japan, including flight tickers for 4 Adults, a Hotel, National Rail tickets and holiday money for 9 or 11 Nights?

I had a look online myself, and saw the cheapest are £600 per person for plane tickets with Etihad, and the cheapest hotel rooms (for 2) are £700 for 9 Nights.

That'd be almost £4000, which I would say isn't too bad...but how much would I need on top of that?

Advice is appreciated.

**Whilst I am on this topic, flights to Portugal and Hotels are good prices? (to crackdude/max_cady)

http://www.skyscanner.net/

http://www.vjv.com/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:14:34 pm by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Official "Going Abroad" topic
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:04:49 am »
If you don't mind flying EasyJet or Ryanair, the flights can be very VERY cheap. Problem is they are limited to some airports (I once had to fly Porto->Luton. I live 150km from Porto).

As for Hotels, it all depends where the hotel is at, but in general they aren't very expensive unless you're in central Lisbon or right next to the beach (and even so there are some bargains if you look hard enough).
I also recommend not paying extra for a 5* hotel. The 4* service here is already great, and 5* is too fancy for a vacation (in my opinion of course).

As for money to spend while here, you spend less per day here than you do on the UK. If you're in a touristic zone, avoid going to the tourist-focused restaurants as they will charge more for less quality food. Most of the time "portuguese-only" restaurants have english-speaking folk too.

We are a rather poor country when compared to the rest of Europe so life is cheaper, but the tourist-focused places are more expensive. If you see someplace that has no portuguese writing, it'll probably be more expensive
SEG4GES

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:07:54 pm »
Ryanair/EasyJet had some controversy last month for my colleagues...they refused to refund any delayed flights through their own errors AND the poor tourists had to pay for 2 more nights at alternative hotels that didn't have any booked guests. <_<

I am happy with a 3 Star personally. As long as the bed is warm and the room isn't draughty, I can sleep almost anywhere (this includes shitty Caravan beds). Sea air also helps me sleep if that helps for anyone with advice. :P

I shall keep this in mind! Although...wouldn't that be taking up any room for the locals who live there there? :P

Going to add some links in the OP guys! I hope you use them for yourselves!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:12:54 pm by Nameless 24 »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:52:43 pm »
You can use this one to search for cheapest prices on hotels:
www.trivago.co.uk

Not at all! We have plenty of restaurants everywhere, if one is full the next one isn't. Some are better than others, but it's pretty unusual to end up in a place with bad food.
SEG4GES

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:07:20 am »
That's being advertised a lot in the UK recently, but mostly about Barcelona. (been there too)

Yeah. Restaurants can vary in quality even if they are all next to one another. Going to a bad Portugese Restaurant can potentially put me off for life! XD

I wonder if this thread will be used in the future? I gather it'll help fellow SEGA fans who want to go abroad.

Oh, and for people who want cheap trips in Asia. Vietnam is really cheap (although I heard they are hostile to American Tourists).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:34:43 am »
When traveling in the UK, always pack a pair of trousers. Pants are underwear. Do not confuse the two.

That is all I can add to this discussion.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:48 pm »
I've actually never been out of the country, I like being in places i know. Although I think i would like to go to the UK one day, that wouldn't be too much different. Everyone speaks English at least!

I don't think I'd be very good at handling culture shock.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »
A trip to London is a good first trip out of country. Like you said, they speak English, and there isn't that much culture shock. "WC" means "water closet" and its the restroom, breakfasts are weird, the Indian food is awesome, and they really like this old woman with a crown.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 03:42:19 pm »
SEG4GES

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:18:31 am »
When traveling in the UK, always pack a pair of trousers. Pants are underwear. Do not confuse the two.

I call trousers my pants and the "pants" my undies. I am pretty common though. :P We understand what you mean by "underwear" and "pants" as well.

A trip to London is a good first trip out of country. Like you said, they speak English, and there isn't that much culture shock. "WC" means "water closet" and its the restroom, breakfasts are weird, the Indian food is awesome, and they really like this old woman with a crown.

Restrooms are Toilets, Breakfast is weird? Depends on where you go, and yes...Indian/Bangladeshi food is awesome and pretty common here.

I am guessing you have met Royalists (who are into the whole Royalty business), you won't meet as many Royalists in any other part of the UK though.

For countryside, just visit Wales. It's cheaper and you can climb Snowdonia if you feel like it.

I'll probably visit America one time in my life. My cousin is currently in New Jersey, teaching Americans "Soccer", since he wants to be a Fitness Coach. Which would suit him being in America, where the regime is a lot more tougher than in the UK.

I've also visited Jamaica (I guess for heritage reasons, being part Jamaican). My advice for that place is to be careful in shopping centres in Jamaica...they will badger you a lot, asking for money for things you don't want, and will even resort to shady tactics like putting items in your bag, unnoticed and carving your name into wooden Sculptures....so DON'T EVER MENTION YOUR NAME!

I actually "celebrated" Thanksgiving in Jamaica too (the only time I ever will), man...you guys have a lot of food! Even more than we do!?! If you visit the UK on the 5th November, we have a celebration called "Guy Fawkes" (We also call it Bonfire Night), to which we celebrate killing the Traitor who almost blew up the Prime Minister with Gunpowder...so it's like Independance Day, only the Fireworks are lit at night, and you usually have some festival going on in the towns around you where you eat barbecued burgers and Sausages (We're probably the only country to do this in the cold weather, LOL). The towns and places are usually VERY foggy around this time too due to the fireworks being fired off every 10 minutes. In fact, our Bonfire Night can concede with Halloween. (we have a rhyme at Halloween which isn't used in America, to which we reference "stealing garden gates" which references using them for Bonfires).

Sorry for the rant.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:25:03 am by Nameless 24 »

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:10 am »
I've never left the U.S. I've only been to a few States, i've always felt that i'd rather explore and see this Country first before leaving to see other places. There is soo much to look at here, such amazing history in the East Coast, that i'd rather visit States around here then fly to Europe or something. Plus, i'm a huge hockey fan, so i would love to go to all States with an NHL team and watch a game at every Arena.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:23:15 am »
The Dakotas are underrated vacation spots. I mean look at this beauty:

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 02:17:18 pm »
Natural beauty is best beauty.
SEG4GES

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:42 pm »
Ive been on vacation in South Dakota before, a long time ago. I like the prairie dogs. When we went there the US was like on terror orange alert level or something, there was guys with guns everywhere near mount rushmore, there was even snipers on the mountain itself! they weren't screwing around!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:15:21 pm by Will »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:41:15 pm »
I love South Dakota. Tons of natural wonders, prairie dogs (as mentioned), Wall Drug, Cirble B (cheesy but fun cowbody dinner & show). Went there a lot during my childhood. In fact, I think I bought my first Sonic comic book (#1) while on vacation there.