Author Topic: TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT  (Read 36602 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »
Finally got some time to play it! I like it. It's a little on the easy side, but that's kind of just par for the course for games these days compared to classic platformers. I don't get all the complaining about people not wanting to have to kill X number of enemies in order to unlock the next stage. It's like complaining that a game has rules, or is something more challenging than just pressing a button lazily.

The only thing I'm not really crazy about is the soundtrack. It's a little soft and monotonous for something that's going on in a warzone.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2015, 08:33:44 am »
I don't get all the complaining about people not wanting to have to kill X number of enemies in order to unlock the next stage. It's like complaining that a game has rules, or is something more challenging than just pressing a button lazily.
It's because it just makes the game tedious for those who don't want to collect everything in a level. It's something that could be easily removed as well without making the game any worse as well. The game doesn't become any less challenging or fun without it. If anything, it makes it less fun for a lot of people who play it.

Also, I'm not sure how that comparison is supposed to make sense. So complaining about any rules a game has is wrong? If that's so, then any criticism about gameplay is wrong.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:41:06 am by TimmiT »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2015, 09:16:48 am »
It would make the game less challenging, and that's because exploration is part of the game. And you don't have to collect everything in the level to proceed.

Also, the requirement makes the game more fun, because it is a big clue to the player that there are other hidden areas to discover, with more hostages to rescue, giant peanuts, I even found an Xbox code that cashed out for $50! (Okay, I made the last one up.)

Everybody needs to check their expectations. "Oh, so I'm an elephant and I can break through things... that means this game is about nothing but smashing through everything as fast as possible!" The same kind of misconceptions have certainly plagued the Sonic series. Just because you bought a game doesn't mean you've earned the right to effortlessly see the ending. You've got to learn the game and beat the game! Welcome to old school platforming! (Although this is much, much easier than old school platformers, honestly.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:19:29 am by Centrale »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2015, 11:47:52 am »
I've found that there exists a negative stigma around certain elements in games. QTE? It's shit. Collecting things to unlock levels? Shit. But honestly, I think these things can and have been done right in games. While I think something like Heavy Rain overdid it with QTEs, Shenmue did it right. Collecting sun and moon metals in Unleashed was a chore and made no sense, however rescuing hostages in Tembo makes perfect sense in the story and progression of the game.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2015, 03:13:44 pm »
It would make the game less challenging, and that's because exploration is part of the game. And you don't have to collect everything in the level to proceed.

Also, the requirement makes the game more fun, because it is a big clue to the player that there are other hidden areas to discover, with more hostages to rescue, giant peanuts, I even found an Xbox code that cashed out for $50! (Okay, I made the last one up.)

Everybody needs to check their expectations. "Oh, so I'm an elephant and I can break through things... that means this game is about nothing but smashing through everything as fast as possible!" The same kind of misconceptions have certainly plagued the Sonic series. Just because you bought a game doesn't mean you've earned the right to effortlessly see the ending. You've got to learn the game and beat the game! Welcome to old school platforming! (Although this is much, much easier than old school platformers, honestly.)
I don't remember old school platformers requiring you to collect a certain amount of stuff until the N64 era.

And really, if the designers want to incentivise destroying or collecting everything, they should make it so that there's some sort of extra reward for doing that rather than making it necessary. It just limits the ways people can play the game. And while collecting as much stuff can be challenging, a lot of people don't find doing that fun.

however rescuing hostages in Tembo makes perfect sense in the story and progression of the game.
They should have made it so that Tembo needs to rescue all of the hostages if they wanted it to make sense. You're also talking about a video game of which the concept doesn't make much sense to begin with. :V

EDIT: By the way, a game that focuses this much on collecting/destroying everything really shouldn't make it impossible to backtrack at points. It's just frustrating when you miss something, but can't get back to it so you have to restart. Especially considering how long and repetitive the levels can be.

Also, Asura's Wrath did QTEs far better than Shenmue. :V
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:12:53 am by TimmiT »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2015, 08:48:03 am »
When was there a "who did QTE better" discussion? I said Shenmue did QTEs well and right. Is that really a fair comparison? 3D game that was one of the first to use QTE and a game that came 12 years later. I know you've said in the past you've never played Shenmue. Have you since played it?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2015, 04:09:24 pm »
Any idea how this has done?

Seems like a fun little title, but haven't seen much attention for it from gamers etc :(

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2015, 06:47:55 pm »
Also, Asura's Wrath did QTEs far better than Shenmue. :V

Considering Asura's Wrath core gameplay takes a backseat to the spectacle QTEs to the point of being a glorified interactive anime, I would completely disagree with that statement.

Although, the final boss fight, where he actually has his own QTEs that he can miss was a touch of genius.

Asura's Wrath might be pretty cool for what it does but it's not really a game I'd recommend.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2015, 07:58:40 pm »
I don't remember old school platformers requiring you to collect a certain amount of stuff until the N64 era.

Then I assume you never have played Prehistorik (1991) before.
It's an old school platforemer which at the end of every level it'll give us "Not enough food" level if we don't collect enough
and we can't advance to the next level because of it.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2015, 11:50:46 pm »
Considering Asura's Wrath core gameplay takes a backseat to the spectacle QTEs to the point of being a glorified interactive anime, I would completely disagree with that statement.

Although, the final boss fight, where he actually has his own QTEs that he can miss was a touch of genius.

Asura's Wrath might be pretty cool for what it does but it's not really a game I'd recommend.
News just in, a game that did QTE over a decade after another game did it better. More news after the commercial break.

In all fairness the whole idea of gathering something to unlock progression (aka beating levels not being enough) is stupid. Though I never had to replay a level since the threshold in Tembo is really low.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2020, 07:18:27 pm »
SEGA's 60th Anniversary Celebration
Save 75% on TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT on Steam
Offer ends 20 October 2020

Link : https://store.steampowered.com/app/341870/TEMBO_THE_BADASS_ELEPHANT/