Poll

Would you like Toshiba to merge with Sega?

Yes
4 (40%)
No
4 (40%)
Maybe
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 30, 2013, 11:30:46 pm

Author Topic: Toshiba!  (Read 42619 times)

3raser

Toshiba!
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:38:16 am »
There are rumors that Toshiba wants to buy, merge, or have an alliance with Sega. This could be a very good thing because Sony is competing with Toshiba. Check out these links:

http://nerdforum.org/topic/2771-sega/#entry45631

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?464551-Toshiba-merging-with-sega

http://www.animenation.net/forums/blog.php?b=2210

http://www.amazon.com/think-release-console-several-years/forum/Fx1E3A6UPH5029K/Tx3562M6AQGEZR4/1?asin=B000FRU0NU

What do you all think of this amazing idea?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:40:32 am by 3raser »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Toshiba!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:27 pm »
I think it's a risky venture. But most relevantly, it does not mean at all that Sega will come back to gaming consoles. Calm down semmie.
SEG4GES

3raser

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 01:34:42 pm »
Who/what is "semmie"? I'm just wondering about people's opinions. I'm not saying they will merge. I am also not saying they will not. I did not mention new consoles, but I guess those comments are welcome too. It was just a cool thought that I found on these links.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:43:35 pm by 3raser »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:48:10 pm »
Very very very interesting. I think it fits.

The two businesses (Toshiba, Sega-Sammy) have minimal overlap in products so it would be a more harmonious merger than an established Video game company taking over (like Nintendo/MS/Sony). Also, I think Toshiba would compliment Sega more than a western tech company like Apple, as they would enhance more of Sega's Japanese footing which I believe is stronger than their western.

If they were to merge and be successful, the fact that this merger may come about from a partnership to create a new disc media would be incredible poetic justice to Sony, which pushed Sega out practically on the basis of their new disc media of the times.

From a personal standpoint, I would love this news. Toshiba makes quality products. There are two Toshiba laptops in my home at the moment and they have a minimalist design that I love. Toshiba has a great reputation in Japan and would/could be the brand to topple Sony which is struggling with consumer confidence at the moment.

While I fully agree that a Sega console it out of the question, a Toshiba-Sega console would make perfect sense provided that the new media was in place and two companies did in fact merge. I can only dream of a console collaboration between the two.

I'll definitely be keeping an ear to the ground on this Orbi.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:15:27 pm »
Who/what is "semmie"? I'm just wondering about people's opinions. I'm not saying they will merge. I am also not saying they will not. I did not mention new consoles, but I guess those comments are welcome too. It was just a cool thought that I found on these links.

im semmie.

i dont know what i can give for opinion about toshiba merging with sega. i would like it if it would mean that there will be a sega console with  firm base to the fans.
but if its toshiba merging with seg just to make games which is illogical anyways then i think its allready bad enough having sega sammy. the more people merge with sega the more annoying evaluations sega will have with both toshba and sammy.

there can only one captain.
and even tho we claim to be democratic there is a deviding nation based on opinions.

i think in these console matters a dictatorship is better.( only in the console world)
but i do appreciate that sega sammy came into play to help sega. but regardless that sega allready has sammy to deal with in the evaluations. i dont know how thats gonna be if toshiba comes.

it would be nice tho if

toshiba taking care of hardware
sega the games
and sammy the do and investments

in this case a trinity works well

but like i said i dont think its gonna be that easy.  thx fr the rumor it brings wishfull thinking alive :)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38:02 pm »
I am so sorry you thought I was being grumpy at you! As you may have noticed, semmie is a user here with a rather "optimistic" view of Sega's alleged hardware ambitions.

I am not so sure if a Toshiba-Sega merge would be a good thing. It would probably result in the Sega brand slowly dying away.
A cool hypothesis tho: imagine Toshiba used the Sega brand as a label for the gaming range of their products. So you'd have the Toshiba gaming laptops being called the Sega laptops, for example. Sega branded gaming TVs.
SEG4GES

3raser

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:03 pm »
I am so sorry you thought I was being grumpy at you! As you may have noticed, semmie is a user here with a rather "optimistic" view of Sega's alleged hardware ambitions.

I am not so sure if a Toshiba-Sega merge would be a good thing. It would probably result in the Sega brand slowly dying away.
A cool hypothesis tho: imagine Toshiba used the Sega brand as a label for the gaming range of their products. So you'd have the Toshiba gaming laptops being called the Sega laptops, for example. Sega branded gaming TVs.

I'm sorry if I came off as being rude to you earlier. I did not have much sleep at the time lol. What you said was not a bad idea. A lot of Sega fans might be disappointed without a new console, but that's not really what I had in mind at first. I just thought that it would be easier for both companies, since they both deal in electronics. Also the fact that Toshiba kind of competes with Sony.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »
I don't even understand why this is a topic of conversation.  There's no kernel of truth to this, no statement from any site, it's just a discussion topic on a few forums from what I can see.

3raser

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:00 pm »
I don't even understand why this is a topic of conversation.  There's no kernel of truth to this, no statement from any site, it's just a discussion topic on a few forums from what I can see.

Yes. That's why I claimed that they were rumors. It is just an idea that I read on these forums that I posted. I never saw anything on news websites. It's just a speculation. I simply wanted an opinion of what people thought about it, not to say that it would definately happen, but I thought it was a great idea. Whoever came up with it is a genius!

Offline SEGA RedWolf

• Total Meseta: 2
  • SEGA Born
    • Wolfpackcomms Stream
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 01:55:29 am »
This could be good for Toshiba if they are wanting a piece of that arcade/pachinko market.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 12:54:29 pm »
its a good idea, but the amazon link is not talking about toshiba. it is talking about a new console...

3raser

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 04:39:35 pm »
its a good idea, but the amazon link is not talking about toshiba. it is talking about a new console...

It is, but if you keep reading it talks about other companies that might buy Sega. It never mentions Toshiba, but the idea of including the amazon link was that it included the theory of a major company buying or merging with Sega.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »
It is, but if you keep reading it talks about other companies that might buy Sega. It never mentions Toshiba, but the idea of including the amazon link was that it included the theory of a major company buying or merging with Sega.

yeah ok

Offline pcm92

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »
im not really that much of a sega fan to tell you the truth. if they use an idea like this than i might be. i just think they need to start making consoles again because right now they make bad games for companies that they should be compeeting with

3raser

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 05:08:56 pm »
im not really that much of a sega fan to tell you the truth. if they use an idea like this than i might be. i just think they need to start making consoles again because right now they make bad games for companies that they should be compeeting with

A lot of people miss the Sega console era, but they have made a lot of good games as a third party system. Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Generations, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, The Yakuza Series. There are many more to come. I guarantee that if they are bought by Toshiba, then they will probably make even better games. A new console would be fine, but they should definately consider waiting a while because they would be crushed if they released one now.