Author Topic: Best of 32x  (Read 5304 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Best of 32x
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:56 pm »
Well I own the system but I will never go near it, the fucking platform is just to much of a hassle to set up and the last time I tried it, I was missing a cable or something and it was a giant pain to have everything set up.

It isn't like I have a game on it worth playing today.

I own Doom, Space Harrier, Star Wars and NBA JAM.

Doom on 32x is awful stick to the PC or Dreamcast Versions if you must play it on a Sega console.

Space Harrier 32x port is probably the second best port, the Shenmue port is the best one and is available on Yu Suzuki Classics Vol.1 along with several fine Suzuki games.

Star Wars: never watched the movie, tried playing the game it is head ache inducing.

NBA Jam might have been a great game to play back in the day but NBA Showtime is the best game in the Jam series on Dreamcast.

The last entry was NBA Hoopz also for Dreamcast but it is kind of incomplete... so NBA SHOWTIME ON NBC Dreamcast!

So what other 32x or 32xCD games are out there that one might want to check out.

It isn't like I would go find them and reconnect my 32x but I might look forward to a 32xCD compilation in the future as I've found out the roms for them exist on line if some one wants to check them out badly.

I know atleast one game that should be a collectors item KNUCKLES CHAOTIX!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline segaismysavior

• Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
Re: Best of 32x
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:48:47 pm »
I've read good things about Afterburner, B.C. Racers, Virtua Racing, Blackthorne, Kolibri,
and Virtua Fighter (though VF Remix on Saturn would be better).

The only ones I ever played were Doom and Star Wars. Doom seemed amazing at the time, but I'm sure it'd make me vomit now after the buttery-smooth XBLA version.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »
Cube has never seen Star Wars, he has never played NiGHTS... what in the world!? For every time you say you didn't do something, you should go and do it. Yoda would agree with me.

But yeah, Star Wars 32X is the best and only port of the arcade game, and if you aren't one of the two people in the world who never saw a Star Wars film, it's an enjoyable game thanks to how much it nails the sounds and music of the films. The flying ain't bad either.

Knuckles Chaotix and Kolibri are fantastic games, Tempo is great to look at, okay to play. The best versions of Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing are on the 32X.

I also own Metal Head and Moto Cross, both are pure garbage.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:25:38 pm »
I have Blackthorne, Virtua Fighter and Shadow Squadron. They're pretty good.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:55:08 am »
DOOM 32X is actually a very good version of the game. Next to the PC I would argue no other version released at the time was anywhere near as good. Comparing it to the Dreamcast one is silly.

I like hooking it up/talking about it more than playing it. However, I have an extremely soft spot for Virtua Racing Deluxe, mostly because of the music. Replay is one of my favorite SEGA songs ever, just brilliant.

[youtube:1q0b7n7h]mrGP42WPBj8[/youtube:1q0b7n7h]

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:10:45 am »
I do like the 32X, successfully hooking it up and playing the better games on the add-on is very satisfying. It also is far more reliable than my SEGA CD. Only problem with my 32X is that games wobble a bit in the slot, and won't play if the cart is leaning forward.

In hindsight, it would have been wiser to release some titles to the SEGA CD, some to the Saturn and cancel the rest.

In fact, some titles already did this! Shadow Squadron, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, After Burner and Space Harrier are all found on the Saturn. Pitfall, Corpse Killer, Night Trap and BC Racers are on the SEGA CD.  Kolibri, Tempo, Chaotix and Star Wars Arcade could have all been on the SEGA CD or Saturn.

So really, there are only 4 worthwhile exclusives that should have been delegated to other SEGA platforms. The rest are either crap, upgrades of Genesis games, cart versions of SEGA CD games or downgrades of Saturn games.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »
32X was made to extend the Genesis' life, not only for hardware reasons, but software reasons too. There were dozens of arcade games SEGA wanted to put on the Genesis during it's life that would have been a mess unless the hardware was upgraded. Power Drift is a good example of this. Other developers that had ideas for bigger and more expansive games usually went on to make Super Nintendo or even 3DO or Jaguar games instead.

Power Drift eventually came to the Saturn, but that was around 5+ years after it was first released. By that point not many people cared and preferred to see 3D games anyways.

But yeah, the 32X is a mess in the end, but for collectors it is one of the easiest platforms to get the whole set. A neat piece of videogame history that has too often been used as a punching bag.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »
I love the 32X. Sure, it should not have been made; you know, seeing as how they were already developing the Saturn. However, I think it had some damn good games....

1. Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 is a fantastic shoot-'em-up.
2. Shadow Squadron is fun and an easy way for me to lose 45 minutes of life without realizing it.
3. T-Mek is great fun; even without a soundtrack.
4. Virtua Fighter. It's still my favorite port.
5. Star Wars Arcade is one of my favorite Star Wars games. I'll take it over the Super Star Wars titles for SNES.
6. Knuckles Chaotix. 'Nuff said.
7. Doom is far and away from a perfect port, but I enjoy it.
8. Metal Head is very decent, and - in my opinion - a nice display of the add-ons strengths.
9. Cosmic Carnage may be stupid, but it's fun.
10. After Burner.... Classic.

Plenty of reasons to break out that little mushroom and get your SEGA on.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:27:31 pm »
Also Space Harrier was a perfect arcade port, and Kolibri was fun.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:36:16 am »
I do like the 32X, successfully hooking it up and playing the better games on the add-on is very satisfying. It also is far more reliable than my SEGA CD. Only problem with my 32X is that games wobble a bit in the slot, and won't play if the cart is leaning forward.

In hindsight, it would have been wiser to release some titles to the SEGA CD, some to the Saturn and cancel the rest.

In fact, some titles already did this! Shadow Squadron, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, After Burner and Space Harrier are all found on the Saturn. Pitfall, Corpse Killer, Night Trap and BC Racers are on the SEGA CD.  Kolibri, Tempo, Chaotix and Star Wars Arcade could have all been on the SEGA CD or Saturn.

So really, there are only 4 worthwhile exclusives that should have been delegated to other SEGA platforms. The rest are either crap, upgrades of Genesis games, cart versions of SEGA CD games or downgrades of Saturn games.

SPIDER MAN WEB OF FIRE isn't bad either. One of my fave 32x titles. Its too bad the other games planned for the system never made it out. TEMPO actually did appear on the saturn as a type of psuedo sequel called SUPER TEMPO.

32X was made to extend the Genesis' life, not only for hardware reasons, but software reasons too. There were dozens of arcade games SEGA wanted to put on the Genesis during it's life that would have been a mess unless the hardware was upgraded. Power Drift is a good example of this. Other developers that had ideas for bigger and more expansive games usually went on to make Super Nintendo or even 3DO or Jaguar games instead.
Well there's various reasons why the 32x didn't work, most of them were internal but the killing blow was really from Sony and how Sega clearly underestimated them. The fact that they reduced their system to under 200 bucks and Sega was forced to not only do the same but release it before they had planned to, killed the buisness plan of the 32x because of that reason it made the system redundant overnight.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:59:00 am »
From what I've read, it looks to me SEGA was scared of losing the market share they had gained with the Genesis and were trying to grasp it way too hard. Releasing the 32X was kind of silly, considering they were already hard at work on the Saturn. I mean, the Genesis already had two add-ons (Power Base Converter, SEGA CD); it didn't need a third. Secondly, they had a much more powerful stand-alone 32-Bit machine right around the corner. Even if SEGA had stuck with Saturn-day, throwing the 32X in the ring wasn't a fantastic idea. Trying to support the Genesis, SEGA CD, 32X and Saturn all at once, not to mention the Game Gear.... I feel they spread themselves too far and wide, and upset both retailers and consumers (i.e. early release of the Saturn, and parents getting upset because they bought their kid a 32X not realizing they needed a Genesis in order to play the fuckin' thing). That's just my opinion. I could be wrong, and I probably am.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline stevetheman90

• Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:34 pm »
Cosmic Carnage is awesome you can break people armor off