Author Topic: Seaman returning on 3DS  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Seaman returning on 3DS
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »
http://andriasang.com/con012/seaman_3ds/

The classic Dreamcast virtual pet sim Seaman will be revived on the 3DS, according to a report at the online edition of Nikkei.

In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics.

Seaman creator Yoot Saito, who's currently making one of the four games in Level-5's Guild 01 on 3DS, hinted back in June 2010 that Seaman could appear on 3DS.

Released by Sega in 1999, Seaman caused a sensation throughout Japan and became one of the Dreamcast's best selling games.

Nikkei's mention of Seaman came as part of a general report about Nintendo's earnings and future prospects.

The report also has a look at the construction grounds of Nintendo's new development studio, which is scheduled to open at the end of December 2013. Construction is taking place on the land of a former golf practice grounds. Iwata was a regular at an Italian restaurant on the second floor of the facility, and his companion was always Shigeru Miyamoto. According to Nikkei, it's at this restaurant that the two finalized the concept for the Nintendo DS.

About the bolded: Very intriguing...

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Seaman returning on 3DS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:05:52 pm »
I wish they'd picked Seaman 2 instead, since that never saw a North American release, but still a cool bit of news.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:00:23 pm »
Fantastic news. Just one more reason to pick up a 3DS.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:55:08 pm »
I wish they'd picked Seaman 2 instead, since that never saw a North American release, but still a cool bit of news.

Seaman 2 wouldn't translate to 3DS as well as Seaman 1 would. The first one was in the fish tank, which would look awesome in 3D. Seeing seaman swimming about in your screen, coming towards you to talk.

Seaman 2 was more of a overworld caveman sim, where Seaman's face was on a bird.

Perhaps they should release BOTH together?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:34:08 pm »
I figured it would just be a new entry in the series....

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:39:35 pm »
Title it: Seaman 3DS!

Or "S3AMAN"

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »
Seaman 2 wouldn't translate to 3DS as well as Seaman 1 would. The first one was in the fish tank, which would look awesome in 3D. Seeing seaman swimming about in your screen, coming towards you to talk.

Seaman 2 was more of a overworld caveman sim, where Seaman's face was on a bird.

Perhaps they should release BOTH together?

Hm. I had no idea that was the form Seaman 2 took.

Anyway, the only thing I worry about with porting Seaman 1 is that even for its time, Seaman 1 featured some broken voice recognition, and unless they're going to fix that, I can't see modern audiences having the patience for it.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:13 am »
I keep reading the news and trying to figure out what it means.. Is it saying that Nintendo are going to publish the game? How is that possible? I don't see why Sega would let that happen...

Or is it saying that Nintendo are just pushing for these games to make a return on the 3DS?
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:39 am »
From my understanding, Seaman was developed by Vivarium and the English work was done by Jellyvision (the You Don't Know Jack guys). SEBA published it. No clue if Seaman is owned by SEGA like Bayonetta or if it's more of a Iron Man sort of thing where SEGA just published and Seaman is Vivarium owned.

Seemed in the Dreamcast days, SEGA treated the fish man like a first party character.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:39:35 am »
I keep reading the news and trying to figure out what it means.. Is it saying that Nintendo are going to publish the game? How is that possible? I don't see why Sega would let that happen...

Or is it saying that Nintendo are just pushing for these games to make a return on the 3DS?

Because Sega never owned SEAMAN they just published it. SEAMAN appeared on other platforms in japan without Sega being involved recently.  Also this "super crossover game" that everyone thinks that Sega is part of is actually the deal with Nintendo that SEAMAN's part of,bringing certain titles from the biggest third party back libaries and publish them on 3DS. That's what the website is about revealing who is taken part and what games each respective company is going to bring to the table.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »
Oh I see, I'm surpised that Sega never owned the Seaman IP! I always thought they did.
Made by SEGA

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:07:29 pm »
Oh I see, I'm surpised that Sega never owned the Seaman IP! I always thought they did.
Its kinda complicated with games like SEAMAN. Its like the GUILTY GEAR IP,Sega technically owns it but they don't control the use of it but support the studio in distributing the title. SEAMAN kind of falls into that category. Not that it matters besides can any of us even stomach that nintendo will be publishing this as well as other classic Sega titles?!