Author Topic: Genesis News Reporting  (Read 4466 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Genesis News Reporting
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:31:05 pm »
Personal Opinion
I will admit that the last time I physically played a genesis was maybe 9 years ago.

I am not really interested in that system anymore, it was discontinuted very disrespectfully by Sega and as a consequence the company was never the same again.

What I definetly not plan on covering?
As for the add-ons that raped the system, I've never owned a SegaCD and never managed to get my 32X to connect, so I really won't be covering anything related to those 2 and I am confident there isn't even anything happening on them.

Anyone intrested in new game coverage?
Unlike the Dreamcast which is still evolving, and people are learning new things with the system, the Genesis is indeed dead, but every now and then somebody comes and keeps a new flower on it's grave (now there's a nonsensical analogy). What I mean is every year a cancelled (20 years ago) Taiwanese or Japanese game is completed & translated into English and receives a limited release.

Who all are actually intrested in buying new Genesis games, I don't plan on buying them.

anyone intrested in hardware coverage
Then we have a little hardware tinkering with the advant of an SD Card Reader for the Genesis as well, download genesis games from your pc, and then transfer them on the card, insert the card into the genesis and play the game.

I can do a feature article on this, but this just kills the genesis, what is the point of playing illegal roms back on your genesis... if you are downloading them play it on the damn computer, it isn't like a perfect emulator doesn't exist!?

Will digital rereleases be covered?

I personally like the idea of having old games reviewed for newer system and Sega does that a lot, back in the day we had Hudson on the staff (of the other site), who covered them.

I do not see myself investing in Digital Downloads, can't spend money on anything I don't physically own.

So what do you guys think, should we increase our genesis coverage, or leave it for Sega-16, you just can't top them!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline AshleyAshes

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Genesis News Reporting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:28:12 am »
I'd say that reporting on Genesis gadgets is more relevent to 'Sega News' than stories about 'Yet another game not being made by Sega but they are publishing it so we'll pretend we care!'

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:58:31 am »
I disagree with AshleyAshes. It's more pertinent for SEGAbits to write about and report on current releases from SEGA, published OR developed, than it is to report on older systems. Leave that to SEGA-16 and the Junkyard blogs. Though I know Cube isn't referring to indie games, I'm not interested in the indie scene of the Genesis however I am interested in official games that were unfinished and received a recent rerelease (as he did mention). I do think that the occasional retro article and the occasional mention of whats going on in the Genesis world is important to SEGAbits, though I don't think multiple articles a week would be necessary.

As for 'Yet another game not being made by Sega but they are publishing it so we'll pretend we care!', I take offense. I care about every release from SEGA as each one is a chance for a company which I care about to earn profits and grow. By that logic, anything from Platinum Games is superfluous and unnecessary. I also have yet to see any writers (or readers) 'pretend to care' about lackluster announcements such as the Marvel games or Tournament of Champions. They get the same news postings that any other SEGA game would get, they release and get a review and then we move on.

Still love ya though AshleyAshes!  8-) No bad blood  :afroman:

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:57:23 pm »
I kinda agree with you that we should focus more on the recent games and news, but I think we should cover it all. All SEGA news, including old canceled games and homebrew projects. Like a once a month "state of the DC community" article or something. Same with older systems.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »
Genesis is not dead, it has one of my favorite groups of followers even to this day. SEGA CD have homebrewed games made for them all the time too.

Too many people cover Dreamcast now. Focus on other things.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:50:27 pm »
Funny youtube vids like this are fun too

[youtube:5vjfwoxd]danURG4hiZM[/youtube:5vjfwoxd]

Can you do it better than him xD?

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:30:52 am »
If I had to listen to crap like this i'd listen to who Koshiro stole from.
[youtube:22hrob8q]1K7fL5s_1ac[/youtube:22hrob8q]

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »
I would love to hear of current Genesis/Mega Drive news.  I don't know anything about the homebrew scene for it.  I agree that the latest news and releases should be the main focus, but the occasional coverage of older systems isn't going to detract from that at all.

Offline Wilhelm

• Total Meseta: 0
    • http://wilhelmexp.519sucks.ca
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 08:33:17 pm »
I personally don't care to much about the new stuff.
I'm a Dreamcast user, and until Sega releases a Dreamcast 2 (it'll happen one day) I'll probably never really care to much about Sega...
They seemed to ruin alot of good things too anime influenced, no originality it seems.
And for whatever reason they won't give what the Fans want, it's all about the money, not about the customers. I hate publishers like that, look at Microsoft.
I've been using they're OS' for years,
And yet I always have to depend on a Linux Distribute to fix they're problems.

Why's that?
Cause Linux was made for the consumer not for the money.

Sega will eventually become Linux...
rather than Windows.
[spoiler][size=85]Add me to Friends[/size]![/url][/spoiler]

Offline Wilhelm

• Total Meseta: 0
    • http://wilhelmexp.519sucks.ca
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 08:33:55 pm »
I went off topic didn't i....
[spoiler][size=85]Add me to Friends[/size]![/url][/spoiler]