Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 236245 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 04:57:41 pm »
That could be interpreted in many different ways really. I don't think they'll abandon 3D, but adjust the gameplay itself to fit in with the older Sonic style.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 05:39:56 pm »
Horrible for me but I guess a good idea in the long run.

The way I see it is we have 4 or 5 great 2D Sonic games that can stand the test of time and we have 0 3D Sonic games. By which I don't mean to disrespect the recent good ones but they'd never be on a list of best games ever from me.

I feel the same way.  I like Colors/Generations but I still have trouble recommending them to non-fans. 

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 05:54:27 pm »
I hope they have something cool to show us.

I wouldn't mind a 3D Metroidvania styled game, only the levels all connect to one another and you could utilise Sonic, Tails and Knuckles' abilities.

Although that'd sacrifice the speedy aspect of Sonic, I think the platforming could be fun again with a open world like mechanic.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 06:17:05 pm »
RIP 3D Gameplay. Finally lets get 2D.

I hope it means that they will now make classic Sonic focused games with only 2D gameplay and also 3D/2D Sonic Generations with 'green eyed' but I doubt it. Works with Nintendo, they have a branding for the 2D games and a branding for the 3D ones. Even a branding for their RPG etc.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 06:46:04 pm »
I hope they have something cool to show us.

I wouldn't mind a 3D Metroidvania styled game, only the levels all connect to one another and you could utilise Sonic, Tails and Knuckles' abilities.

Although that'd sacrifice the speedy aspect of Sonic, I think the platforming could be fun again with a open world like mechanic.

I didn't get a chance to play sonic boom 3ds, but wasn't that exactly what that game was?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 08:08:56 pm »
I didn't get a chance to play sonic boom 3ds, but wasn't that exactly what that game was?

Yeah, that was pretty much what Shattered Crystal was. It wasn't the best game, but I'll admit to liking it more than Lost World 3DS and the developer had a good concept. They just didn't have the dev time that SEGA should have allowed. I think with the proper development time, Sanzaru could make a good game.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 10:09:48 pm »
RIP 3D Gameplay. Finally lets get 2D.

I hope it means that they will now make classic Sonic focused games with only 2D gameplay and also 3D/2D Sonic Generations with 'green eyed' but I doubt it. Works with Nintendo, they have a branding for the 2D games and a branding for the 3D ones. Even a branding for their RPG etc.

SonicTeam hasn't shown that they have the ability to evolve Sonic's 2D gameplay (as seen by the failed Sonic the Hedgehog 4) so I think that tasking them to just focus on 2D is almost a scary prospect.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 12:58:03 am »
Doubt they'll abandon 3D but I cant imagine how that quote Pao posted means they'll do more 3D stuff sounds like they're saying they'll go back to their roots.
Here's my line of thought when I read that quote:

"It's been tough translating the classic Sonic experience from the 90s into 3D" >>> They recognize that their 3D Sonic formulas didn't capture what made the classics special.

"the new games will be more inspired by how it played in its heyday." >>> The new games will be inspired by classic Sonic's formula. (Perhaps more platforming and less boosting).

I can't believe they would refrain from releasing a Sonic game for more than 2 years and then do a 2D title... Not only it would be far-fetched, but it would disappoint me greatly.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 06:17:02 am »
Here's my line of thought when I read that quote:

"It's been tough translating the classic Sonic experience from the 90s into 3D" >>> They recognize that their 3D Sonic formulas didn't capture what made the classics special.

"the new games will be more inspired by how it played in its heyday." >>> The new games will be inspired by classic Sonic's formula. (Perhaps more platforming and less boosting).

I can't believe they would refrain from releasing a Sonic game for more than 2 years and then do a 2D title... Not only it would be far-fetched, but it would disappoint me greatly.

The problem with Sonic in a nutshell. People expect different things from a Sonic game.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 08:52:19 am »
SonicTeam hasn't shown that they have the ability to evolve Sonic's 2D gameplay (as seen by the failed Sonic the Hedgehog 4) so I think that tasking them to just focus on 2D is almost a scary prospect.

From what I have heard, though I don't know if its true. Sonic 4 was originally going to be a mobile game, not called Sonic 4. It's a fact that it was (old) SEGA of America which pushed for it to be called Sonic 4. It's cheaply made so I feel like there is probably some truth to it. I wouldn't use Sonic 4 as a test for what Sonic Team can do with 2D... There are plenty of 2D sections in Sonic Colours, Generations that are far far better.
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:25 am »
From what I have heard, though I don't know if its true. Sonic 4 was originally going to be a mobile game, not called Sonic 4. It's a fact that it was (old) SEGA of America which pushed for it to be called Sonic 4. It's cheaply made so I feel like there is probably some truth to it. I wouldn't use Sonic 4 as a test for what Sonic Team can do with 2D... There are plenty of 2D sections in Sonic Colours, Generations that are far far better.

Besides it was Dimps who developed it. Colours, Generations and Lost World are a better representation of their work.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:36 pm »
Could care less what his eye color is, i just want another great Sonic game. I really enjoyed Generations, but that might be because of the nostalgic factor the game utilized.

If this turns out to be Generations 2, i'd be thoroughly excited.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »
Sharky's right. Sonic 4 was intended to be a on the cheap XBLA/PSN/iOS game with no ties to the original Genesis games. It wasn't going to be Sonic The Hedgehog 4. It was just going to be Sonic (Insert word here) akin to Rush or Advance. But SEGA of America did indeed push for the tie to the Genesis games to give it more cred and the potential for more coverage in the media.

---

But yeah, if we want a true feel for what Sonic Team proper can do, just look to Sonic Generations 2D stages. I would love a game that was all in that style.

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 05:59:47 pm »
Apparently there's rumors that a second Sonic Team title is in the works along with the already mentioned Sonic title they're teasing. Specifically it mentions it's gonna be a smaller scale game that may not be a Sonic title. If it is a Sonic title it might be a mobile game or 3DS title, but personally with the way it's described it sounds like another Puyo Puyo game.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 06:03:41 pm »
Apparently there's rumors that a second Sonic Team title is in the works along with the already mentioned Sonic title they're teasing. Specifically it mentions it's gonna be a smaller scale game that may not be a Sonic title. If it is a Sonic title it might be a mobile game or 3DS title, but personally with the way it's described it sounds like another Puyo Puyo game.

Cool, can you provide a source for the rumour?
Made by SEGA