Author Topic: Ryu ga Gotoku 4 NEW Trailer  (Read 19105 times)

Offline east of eastside

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Ryu ga Gotoku 4 NEW Trailer
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
East of Eastside, no, I think its unlikely and I would not be very happy with it. For Shenmue, AM2 or nothing.

It would not be my ideal first choice for how Shenmue should return.. I just got influenced by Sonic 4's Dimps connection into thinking I should be conditioned to accept a compromise.

Are you of the opinion that it should be a Suzuki, AM2 Shenmue III, or no Shenmue III at all?

I honestly, would have to give it a lot of thought whether I would want a Shenmue III that's not Suzuki or AM2.. a less than 'pure' Shenmue or no Shenmue is a likely scenario to consider in the franchise return.

If it does come back, we might go through the the whole 'Sonic 4' thing again but on a bigger and more complex scale.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Show Yakuza love and pick up a custom banner here:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=313960

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 05:26:18 pm »
Quote from: "east of eastside"
But your preaching to the choir! Pretty much everyone here is interested in the Yakuza series to some degree!

I was going to put "preaching to the choir" somewhere in an alternate version of my response.  :lol:

There's nothing wrong with taking a jab at a mainstream genre that I hate that suppresses my beautiful little artistic game to a tiny little niche???  :mrgreen:

I've said this before, but I feel the need to tell you again. Halo and Mass Effect (I assume these are the main targets of your 'space marine' jab) are just as 'artistic' and hardcore as Yakuza is. Just because Yakuza doesn't sell as well doesn't change that.

Still a brilliant series, but it's still something created for mass appeal IMO.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 05:32:50 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
But your preaching to the choir! Pretty much everyone here is interested in the Yakuza series to some degree!

I was going to put "preaching to the choir" somewhere in an alternate version of my response.  :lol:

There's nothing wrong with taking a jab at a mainstream genre that I hate that suppresses my beautiful little artistic game to a tiny little niche???  :mrgreen:

I've said this before, but I feel the need to tell you again. Halo and Mass Effect (I assume these are the main targets of your 'space marine' jab) are just as 'artistic' and hardcore as Yakuza is. Just because Yakuza doesn't sell as well doesn't change that.

Still a brilliant series, but it's still something created for mass appeal IMO.

I don't know.

I would like to leave Mass Effect off the discussion merely because I'm not very familiar with it..  Halo and other space marine games are mainstream because they are played by a wide audience e.g. a jock, a teacher, a kid, etc could be a consumer of it.

Now, Yakuza.. Do you realistically see a jock playing that?  Not likely..  It is a "gamers game".  That is the distinction I'm making.

That is doesn't sell as well, is saying something..

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »
Eastside, you are just saying that because YOU like to think of yourself as better than the people who enjoy "Mainstream games".

Ryu ga Gotoku is one of the biggest game franchises in Japan right now. It is specifically designed to appeal to the "Mainstream" over there - The land of where more than half of their games are based around giving the player erections from single images with text scrolling by telling you how the avatar is enjoying itself. I am not sure how they are classified as "Gamers" before everyone else, if that is what you meant.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Eastside, you are just saying that because YOU like to think of yourself as better than the people who enjoy "Mainstream games".

I'm asocial and god fearing, so this is just some internet pop-psychology..

Ryu ga Gotoku is one of the biggest game franchises in Japan right now. It is specifically designed to appeal to the "Mainstream" over there - The land of where more than half of their games are based around giving the player erections from single images with text scrolling by telling you how the avatar is enjoying itself. I am not sure how they are classified as "Gamers" before everyone else, if that is what you meant.

Of course it has, naturally, mainstream japanese society appeal given the content of the game, but you are really dismissing it if this is just another game for sex starved pedophiles or whatever..

This game is a hybrid that has craftfully mixed elements of a fighter, rpg, sandbox game and sim all together. It is Nagoshi, Sega's premier artist. This game is unique and one of a kind, however mainstream appealing one might say it is, the fact is you can't name another game like it without inaccurately saying "GTA".

I'm talking about hardcore gamers that game to the exclusion of all other activity.  Making a distinction from core mainstream gamers that have broader tastes and interests outside gaming.

This used to be our hobby a decade ago.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 07:48:21 pm »
Wacky World of Sports is a more artistic and hardcore game than The Witcher. Look how mainstream Witcher is (1 Million sales on PC alone!) compared to how niche WWS is.

:P

As for Yakuza being 'one of a kind', yes it is pretty unique when you take everything into account, but so was Halo when it first came out, and arguably it still is. It really set a lot of trends for years to come with it's regenerating health system, two weapon limits, fantastic use of vehicles, co-operative based map designs etc.

It had fantastic marketing behind it and it's got accessible and fun gameplay, so of course it's popular, but being popular doesn't mean it's any less of a game (yes it's mainstream, but I don't see why that should be a bad thing at all. It's mainstream without making concessions).

Yakuza is great for it's own reasons, but it's not really fair to praise it highly as a saviour for 'hardcore' gaming and then bash other games that are also great games for gamers just because they are more successful.

Offline east of eastside

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:43 pm »
Holy shit, get a life. Seriously. Your post did not even have anything to do with the topic.

The video is complaining about games not having enough gameplay and too much story. Sorry, but who the fuck cares? There are different genres for different types of games, instead of bitching about some franchise that you do not like, why not just move on and play a game you DO like? Is it really so hard to do so? Last I checked, Shenmue (which is a game you like) did not have much "Gameplay", unless you consider pressing A to continue a conversation gameplay, I do not see how this has more action than something like Madden, which to my knowledge never even had cutscenes?

The article is just as bad. Literally everything the guy whined about Microsoft doing there was done by SEGA over 10 years prior. I guess SEGA should be blamed for "Ruining" the industry then, yeah?!?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 11:27:34 pm »
Eastside can post those vids, but it shows he has no argument, since he had absolutely nothing to say in relation to my post.

Once again, if you have any actual arguments against games like Halo or other popular series, then I would love to hear them, but don't just type 'Casual games r bad' in to google and post the first results.

The fact is there are games out right now, sitting on shelves (even on the Wii) that are just as good or better than the 'old hardcore' games on Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast. If you choose to ignore them and not buy them, then YOU are killing the games industry.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 11:59:13 pm »
get over yourselves, the video was just a joke.  touchy.. must be threatening somehow.

Eastside can post those vids, but it shows he has no argument, since he had absolutely nothing to say in relation to my post.

I can't respond to a statement that Halo is still unique when fps space marine is the most commercially exploited genre in all western gaming, so I just dismiss it.

I'm playing a Wii hardcore game right now?

I think your threatened and resentful when confronted with the reality of your mass audience status.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 01:24:49 am »
I can't respond to a statement that Halo is still unique when fps space marine is the most commercially exploited genre in all western gaming, so I just dismiss it.

That's just  so silly . There's  been far more Platform games than FPS's over the years , and the same rubbish that people spout about so called Space Marine games , people spouted in the 16 bit days with Yawn..... , not another Platform game , can't we have something new.

Every Genre been done to death , and just like in the so called Good old Day's ( 8/16/32 bit) there's  been a Genre that does better than most , and so you get a flood of those type of games  . I wouldn't like to list how many Platform and RPG the Snes and Mega Drive can boost , but somehow that was so HardCore back then ?

Its all rather silly and pathetic , and I really don't get what makes someone a HardCore gamer , or what makes a Hardcore game . What to be a Hardcore gamer , one needs to play their  Mega Drive in the nude , with a fully errect Penis. Oh man those were the HardCore days  :roll:
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 01:58:10 am »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Its all rather silly and pathetic , and I really don't get what makes someone a HardCore gamer , or what makes a Hardcore game . What to be a Hardcore gamer , one needs to play their  Mega Drive in the nude , with a fully errect Penis. Oh man those were the HardCore days  :roll:
=/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:25:32 am by Waffle »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:27 am »

I think your threatened and resentful when confronted with the reality of your mass audience status.

I posted up arguments as to why it was unique for it's time. I gave you direct and sensible arguments against what you were claiming, but you didn't read them.
Afraid that you'll realise you are wrong?

I think you are threatened and resentful when confronted with the truth.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:45 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

I posted up arguments as to why it was unique for it's time. I gave you direct and sensible arguments against what you were claiming, but you didn't read them.

I have no argument about it being unique for it's time.. It's all the sequels and spawn of space marine games that followed.  Space marines are a mass audience staple now..

Afraid that you'll realise you are wrong?

I think you are threatened and resentful when confronted with the truth.

Well, it was the onset of mainstream gaming a decade ago that killed the old Sega and killed DC, so.. ?  I don't feel "wrong", more like I'm stating something factual that already occurred.

Believe me I appreciate your good and detailed points, most people don't bother outling stuff as well as you do.. I'm sorry it's just I've been over this road many, many times and it takes time to develop. But I'll try...

It's a basic principle of art and commerce that commercialization lowers the art value of a product or entertainment.  When something is made to sell to a mass audience it is made to appeal to a mass audience and thus the artistic ideal of a game is lowered to make it most conducive for mass consumption.  Look at the Sonic games, they are a good example of that.. Look at how in 15 years there hasn't been a Sonic game that has lived up to the classic Sonic fan ideal.

DC had a line-up of extremely artsy and niche games.. the market was moving in another direction, though.  Mass audiences beyond the traditional hardcore gamer came into gaming in waves thanks to Playstation 1 & 2, Xbox and EA and Activision.  Sega used to lead the art of gaming but in got increasingly relegated to a niche as they no longer resonated with the new gaming audiences that went for big budget franchises and their sequels over quirky, innovative and original titles.

Space marines = mass audience gaming.  A hardcore old school gamer may play a space marine game and that is perfectly fine, but there are a lot of mainstreamers playing them and that is where art and innovation get compromised to get their dollars..

You say I'm killing the industry, I say that is fine because I want to see a smaller more niche industry with few consumers and fewer and higher quality and innovative games.  Gone are the days where a Suzuki, Naka, Miyamoto, or whoever led game design by pursuing their artistic visions.  The producers today have to follow the design parameters outlined to them by the marketers.  Look at werehog that everybody complained about as an example.. Look at Mario.. SMB, SMB3, SMB4 were brilliant works of art.. NSMBWii while maybe being a fun game is really low in the art of Mario.  just some examples..

I'll see what you have to say before going on more.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:05 am »

That's just  so silly . There's  been far more Platform games than FPS's over the years , and the same rubbish that people spout about so called Space Marine games , people spouted in the 16 bit days with Yawn..... , not another Platform game , can't we have something new.

Every Genre been done to death , and just like in the so called Good old Day's ( 8/16/32 bit) there's  been a Genre that does better than most , and so you get a flood of those type of games  . I wouldn't like to list how many Platform and RPG the Snes and Mega Drive can boost , but somehow that was so HardCore back then ?

I don't know you too well, I respect and appreciate your opinions, but I guess I figured you as a traditionalist which is why I'm surprised by your response..  I guess I would respond by saying back in the day, yes, there were a ton of platformers but those were quirky novel and artistic games being played by gamers.  They were gamer's games. And also there were plenty of shoot em ups, fighters, rpg's and brawlers to balance the offerings.  Contrast that with space marines that are a staple of mass audience gaming played by everybody, not just the traditional hardcore gamer.  Space marine, armored suit, guns it is all a cliche repeated over and over through commoditization of the genre.  At least the old platformers had more variety amongst them.  I'm just not a fan of everybody gaming.. In the old days gamers were ahead of the curve, they were unique.. gameplay was more intrinsic, game art was more evocative and varied.. Now games are for everyone and games designed to appeal to everyone don't express anything meaningful to me.. It's just pointless recreation time for the masses.

people spouted in the 16 bit days with Yawn..... , not another Platform game , can't we have something new.

Just curious, but what region are you from?  I don't remember that talk.. Weren't the 16bit days over before the internet gaming discussion started, maybe I came to it later?