Author Topic: New VANQUISH Famitsu Scans!  (Read 10753 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
New VANQUISH Famitsu Scans!
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:31:54 am »

Hotness.
STORM! Can you translate some bits please?  :cry:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: New VANQUISH Famitsu Scans!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 02:40:00 am »
First you post before I finish my article in the front page, then you try to steal my Japanese man? STORM! is mine, sorry.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:43:37 am »
What about Upsidedown Fuji? WILL ANYONE THINK OF HIM?!

Anyways, I gotta say from the screenshots that this looks exactly like Gears of War...

Not that being like Gears of War is a bad thing... But...

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:31:57 am »
Why are the scans so blurry...
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:21:06 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Why are the scans so blurry...

Because they were taken with a camera, not a scanner.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:56:39 am »
duckroll from GAF posted a summary of the scans

The game setting is a near-future war between US and Russia. By setting it in the future, Mikami can use robots and high tech stuff to make the game more interesting. He says the reason why the enemies are all robots is because he wants to allow players who do not like shooting other humans to be able to play and appreciate the gameplay in shooters as well. The mech suit features a high speed booster which allows you to very quickly boost next to enemies to pull off close range attacks. There are a large variety of close range attacks moves in the game. There is a balance between using cover and using the boost, but it is definitely not a pure cover shooter. You do not pick up and change weapons in the game, instead your weaponry is part of the suit and it all transforms in realtime into different sorts of weapons. The game is about 80% complete, and they're working on refining the AI for both allies and enemes at the moment. There is a demo planned, and the game will be released in winter 2010.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 04:59:09 am »
ahhh

i can't see shit from those scans :(
but it's nice too see mikami again , it's been a long time :)

Offline SOUP

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:18:13 am »
Sounds like a pretty fun game.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:17 am »
Vanquish saw its video debut back in January, but Sega forgot to provide details on the game. Thanks to Famitsu and an interview with the game's director, we now have a few of the missing details.

First, the basics, as listed in the magazine. Vanquish is an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 multiplatform title that's in development at Platinum Games, the studio behind Bayonetta. Shinji Mikami, known for his work on the Resident Evil series, is the director, with Platinum's Atsushi Inaba serving as producer. Sega will be releasing the game to Japan this Winter.

Famitsu first asked Mikami for his feelings on announcing his first new game in four years. His response was that he's happy to announce a new title, but he didn't put much thought into it being the first new one in four years.

Asked to describe Vanquish, Mikami answered with "Shooter." One of the big reasons for going with this genre, he explained, is that it's being developed not just for Japan, but with overseas markets in its sights.

"Making a normal shooter wouldn't be interesting," continued Mikami, "so it has the concept of the feeling of speed and good tempo, and something flashy. There are lots of games where you shoot and kill people, so this time we wanted to try and see how we could convey the good feeling of shooting robots."

Famitsu pointed out that Mikami has the image of making action games rather than shooters, to which he responded: "It will be a shooter that places importance on the good tempo and feeling of rhythm you get from playing an action game." The boss battles in particular will approach action games, he said.

Outside of the main interview, the magazine mentioned a few more specific areas for the game. One major feature is the use of "boosts," which can be used to close the distance to your enemy quickly. The game also has a large variety of close-range attacks along with a "Bullet Time" feature which lets you slow time down.

In addition to the speed being fast, you'll find that lots of enemies come out and attack. "Compared to a normal shooter, there's more information," said Mikami. One area of concern, he said, has been to keep there from being too much information, which would leave players not knowing what to do.

The magazine also offered preliminary details on the game's setting. The game takes place in the near future and has a story based off an American and Russian standoff. The future setting, explained Mikami, allowed them to make the enemies into robots, make the cinematic scenes flashy, and make the world large. The character you control sports a slim, flexible armor suit.

Mikami shared one little development secret for the game (yes, already!). Your character doesn't have a bunch of weapons in his possession. Instead, his weapon changes shape in real time depending on use. Originally, Mikami revealed, your character had a partner dog character who'd merge with your suit and take the form of various weapons. This wasn't received too favorably by the staff, so they switched to the idea of the weapons transforming.

Current development on Vanquish is at 80%, Mikami told the magazine. They're putting together the fundamental areas of the game, but detailed areas like enemy and ally AI remain. "The work from here on out gets annoying," he joked.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/0 ... _vanquish/

Sounds very GunValkyrie to me!
Made by SEGA

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:06:38 am »
George, I believe we should share STORM equally, he is a blessing sent to SEGAbits!  :afroman:

Quote from: "Sharky"
Vanquish saw its video debut back in January, but Sega forgot to provide details on the game. Thanks to Famitsu and an interview with the game's director, we now have a few of the missing details.

First, the basics, as listed in the magazine. Vanquish is an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 multiplatform title that's in development at Platinum Games, the studio behind Bayonetta. Shinji Mikami, known for his work on the Resident Evil series, is the director, with Platinum's Atsushi Inaba serving as producer. Sega will be releasing the game to Japan this Winter.

Famitsu first asked Mikami for his feelings on announcing his first new game in four years. His response was that he's happy to announce a new title, but he didn't put much thought into it being the first new one in four years.

Asked to describe Vanquish, Mikami answered with "Shooter." One of the big reasons for going with this genre, he explained, is that it's being developed not just for Japan, but with overseas markets in its sights.

"Making a normal shooter wouldn't be interesting," continued Mikami, "so it has the concept of the feeling of speed and good tempo, and something flashy. There are lots of games where you shoot and kill people, so this time we wanted to try and see how we could convey the good feeling of shooting robots."

Famitsu pointed out that Mikami has the image of making action games rather than shooters, to which he responded: "It will be a shooter that places importance on the good tempo and feeling of rhythm you get from playing an action game." The boss battles in particular will approach action games, he said.

Outside of the main interview, the magazine mentioned a few more specific areas for the game. One major feature is the use of "boosts," which can be used to close the distance to your enemy quickly. The game also has a large variety of close-range attacks along with a "Bullet Time" feature which lets you slow time down.

In addition to the speed being fast, you'll find that lots of enemies come out and attack. "Compared to a normal shooter, there's more information," said Mikami. One area of concern, he said, has been to keep there from being too much information, which would leave players not knowing what to do.

The magazine also offered preliminary details on the game's setting. The game takes place in the near future and has a story based off an American and Russian standoff. The future setting, explained Mikami, allowed them to make the enemies into robots, make the cinematic scenes flashy, and make the world large. The character you control sports a slim, flexible armor suit.

Mikami shared one little development secret for the game (yes, already!). Your character doesn't have a bunch of weapons in his possession. Instead, his weapon changes shape in real time depending on use. Originally, Mikami revealed, your character had a partner dog character who'd merge with your suit and take the form of various weapons. This wasn't received too favorably by the staff, so they switched to the idea of the weapons transforming.

Current development on Vanquish is at 80%, Mikami told the magazine. They're putting together the fundamental areas of the game, but detailed areas like enemy and ally AI remain. "The work from here on out gets annoying," he joked.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/0 ... _vanquish/

Sounds very GunValkyrie to me!

That sounds absolutely awesome! Boost? Bullet time? Large Variety of close range combat moves? Transformable weapons!?  seriously all doubts I had for this game being a generic westernized shooter just vanished!!

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:15:05 am »
Quote from: "Pao"
That sounds absolutely awesome! Boost? Bullet time? Large Variety of close range combat moves? Transformable weapons!?  seriously all doubts I had for this game being a generic westernized shooter just vanished!!

you were wrong to think that way! be more optimistic next time :P

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 10:23:07 am »
I'm getting hints of GunValkyrie when reading the description and looking at the images.

Haven't played GunValkyrie in yeeears! Better bust out the old XBOX (GunValkyrie is one of the few non-BC 360 games that I own).

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:50 am »
Boost button confirmed? Game is ruined.

[spoiler:32402bwf]Yay it's a fast paced third person shooter![/spoiler:32402bwf]

Offline east of eastside

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:29:54 am »
yay! at all this western fps hate.. :evil:  let's keep feeding this stigmatization.. we can get our gaming back from the marketers and the masses.

Show Yakuza love and pick up a custom banner here:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=313960

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:51 pm »
My favorite FPS games are Wolfenstein 3D, Portal and Outtrigger.
edit: so very un-FPS first person shooters.

I think what turns me off from FPS is that I feel you need to be 1337 or get out. I admit, I am not 1337 when it comes to FPS... :(