Author Topic: Any Mickey Castle of Illusion fans?  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Any Mickey Castle of Illusion fans?
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:20:30 am »
Considering the Illusion series is from SEGA, I felt this might be somewhat appropriate:

http://ds.about.com/b/2012/03/26/epic-mickey-power-of-illusion-preview-courtesy-of-nintendo-power.htm

2010's Epic Mickey was an action-adventure/platforming game that made enough of an impression on the Wii to warrant not one, but two sequels: Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Two for the Wii, and Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, which is coming to the Nintendo 3DS.

The April 2012 issue of Nintendo Power has detailed previews for both games, so if you're a fan of the Mickster, you'll want to pick it up. Here's a summary of what's coming to the Nintendo 3DS. It's intriguing stuff!

Power of Illusion is being put together by DreamRift, the studio behind 2011's Monster Tale for the Nintendo DS. The game, which is its own side-scrolling, platforming title (instead of a mere port of The Power of Two), is a follow-up to Epic Mickey, but more interestingly, it's also a follow-up to Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, a 1990 game for the Sega Genesis!

Power of Illusion will make heavy use of the Nintendo 3DS's stylus. By tapping the item icons exist in every level, you'll be able to "paint" (trace) those items into existence, including cliffs, cannons, and floating platforms. The more precisely you trace, the better for Mickey. A flawlessly-painted canon will only damage Mickey's enemies, for instance, but if you mess up the painting, the canon will be a danger to everyone in the area.

Sometimes you'll need to erase objects, which is done by spreading thinner. Again, the stylus comes into play here.

The hand-drawn sprites in Power of Illusion are extremely compelling, and, thanks to scrolling parallax backgrounds (a heavily-used graphic technique in the days of 16-bit gaming), reportedly look great in sterescopic 3D. Even better, every level in the game is based on an animated Disney adventure, from "Sleeping Beauty" to "Tangled" and lots in between.

As a final declaration of oldschool love, every character that Mickey saves in Power of Illusion will take up residence in the fortress that Mickey uses as his home base, a confirmed nod to the esteemed Suikoden RPG series. Sometimes you find references in the unlikeliest of places, but that's part of what makes video games fun. Right?

There's no release date set for Power of Illusion (Fall 2012 is a general target), but expect lots more information on this game as the weeks march on like Mouseketeers.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Any Mickey Castle of Illusion fans?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:14:22 am »
Castle of Illusions was awesome, I still have the cart but Epic Mickey didn't look very good to me at all... The original concept art, THAT was epic... Also I don't really like the whole paint brush idea it had going on, kind of reminded me of Mario Sunshine which was dreadful.

Just want some straight forward platforming mang!
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:42 am »
Castle of Illusion was indeed great, as was the sequel World of Illusion. I have both original Genesis releases, complete with box and booklet, from my childhood. I loved them then and I love them now.

It wasn't until recently that I discovered that SEGA AM7 developed them! What a surprise!

It is cool that the 3DS version will be the fourth Illusion title (don't forget "Land of" for the GG and MS). Shame it's not deveoped by SEGA, but given how rights have changed over the years, it's cool. I'm actually really excited for the handheld version more than the HD version now!

I might do a weekly five on the "Illusion" series this week. I think they deserve it!

Offline SOUP

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »
That's fantastic news :D.
I rented Castle of Illusion a bunch of times on the Genesis back in the day. I probably should have just bought it, but it was much easier to talk my mom into renting games for me than buying them ;).
I've heard a lot of good things about Monster Tale, so I'm pretty confident they'll do a good job on it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:34:23 am »
Ahh used to love World of Illusion. I never liked Castle as much as a kid because I found it too difficult when I got to the toy world level, but appreciated it much more when I got old enough to beat it. Top little games, I hope this one can live up to the previous titles.

Never played Epic Mickey, but it looked pretty cool.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:39:15 am »
Shouldn't this be in classic Sega discussion since we are talking about classic Sega series like Illusion?

It was odd that World of illusion didn't get the attention it deserved compared to CoI and Quackshot at the time. Even the game gear illusion games didn't get that much attention from the gaming press of the day. Tood bad since they are solid titles. I don't expect Disney to top Sega's illusion series though, i don't even think Sega themselves can do it if they tried.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:40 am »
I always wondered why World of Illusion is often in the shadow of Castle, I always thought World of Illusion was the far better game. I dug Castle of Illusion too, but i was short and the levels were rather dark.

World of Illusion was bright, colorful, fun, and you got to play as Donald.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »
They were both good games, and pretty unique. Maybe people didn't like the magic attacks in World? Where you had to wave the cloak doobie at enemies instead of bum attacking them.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:37:52 pm »
Hm. I dunno.  :o

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »
I always preffered the mastersystem vErson. Heck i even think the visuals and music look and sound better. Hope this isnt just some hype thing and really captures the magic of the classics.

When it comes to the genesis games, i agree with nsega though. World of illusions co op play is still today one of the best co op platformers you can find.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:38:01 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:33:42 am by CrazyTails »

Offline SOUP

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:17 pm »
That looks amazing.
Hopefully there's the gameplay to back it up :).