Author Topic: "Sega Dream Corporation"?  (Read 6137 times)

Offline OriginalName

• Total Meseta: 4
"Sega Dream Corporation"?
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:00:30 pm »
EDIT: I didn't realize that the conversation in the "What's your opinion if SEGA does buy ATLUS?" thread has a small bit of speculation on this topic. If this thread is redundant for that reason, feel free to remove it or collapse it into the other thread, mods.

One detail that's getting awfully overlooked amongst the news and speculation surrounding the Index buyout in the mainstream sphere is that it was carried out not by Sega-Sammy Holdings Company, but rather a division called Sega Dream Corporation that was quietly formed this very month.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-18-sega-buys-index-owner-of-persona-dev-atlus-reports

I'm curious about this new development -- was Sega Dream Corporation formed specifically as a new quasi-autonomous house within the Sega-Sammy corporate structure designated for their new Index ventures, or is Sega planning something larger? I don't have to tell you what image a name like "Sega Dream" conjures up in my mind, and while I don't think Sega's going to go the whole Dreamcast 2 route, this new branch of the company might suggest a movement within its ranks to make a stake in the funky offbeat-hardcore side of gaming again.

Perhaps we'll see Sega purchase several other renowned, quirky developers (Platinum? Treasure? Q? Grasshopper?) and form a "Dream Corporation".

Obviously, the number one rule of being a (Sammy-owned) Sega fan is not to get your hopes up too much, and hell, Sega buying up these types of developers might not be a great thing in the first place, but I think that Sega fans would be wise to pay attention to the way this new "Sega Dream Corporation" branch develops.

Anybody at SegaBits wanna reach out to someone at Sega and break the news on "Sega Dream Corporation"? As far as I know, you'd be the first on the story.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:24:21 pm by OriginalName »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: "Sega Dream Corporation"?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:55:57 pm »
I noticed that too (the creation of Sega Dream). It should be considered a win-win for Sega and Atlus fans as it was probably instituted to keep Atlus autonomous as a publisher + developer, yet still a part of Sega, instead of having "Sega proper" taking over the publishing duties. I say it's a win for Sega fans as it appears to both you and I, that it is part of a larger strategy to at least acquire more like-minded properties.

Perhaps we'll see Sega purchase several other renowned, quirky developers (Platinum? Treasure? Q? Grasshopper?) and form a "Dream Corporation".

YES PLEASE. Those developers under Sega would definitely be a Dream corporation.

Either way, I couldn't be happier with the news of the Atlus acquisition and how it has been handled so far.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:03:12 am »
We're already pursuing answers regarding SEGA's relationship with Atlus and Index. We'll hopefully get any answers SoA is able to give us in a few days.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:19 am »
One detail that's getting awfully overlooked amongst the news and speculation surrounding the Index buyout in the mainstream sphere is that it was carried out not by Sega-Sammy Holdings Company, but rather a division called Sega Dream Corporation that was quietly formed this very month.

This isn't being overlooked, SEGA Dream Corporation is a subsidiary of SEGA proper, who's other subsidiaries are, but not all; Sega of America, Inc, Sega Europe Ltd, Sega Toys Ltd, Sega Amusement Service Co Ltd, Sega Amusements Europe Ltd etc.

It's just a shell company for tax purposes. They've also said the name is not final, it might just end up being called SEGA Atlus Corp eventually.

That is not to say they will not go on a further spending spree (Since 2012 SEGA Sammy Holdings has purchased Three Rings, Relic and now Atlus) but I doubt they will chuck all their acquired companies in this one company, more likely is that a new subsidiary will be established.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:05:51 am »
This isn't being overlooked, SEGA Dream Corporation is a subsidiary of SEGA proper, who's other subsidiaries are, but not all; Sega of America, Inc, Sega Europe Ltd, Sega Toys Ltd, Sega Amusement Service Co Ltd, Sega Amusements Europe Ltd etc.

It's just a shell company for tax purposes. They've also said the name is not final, it might just end up being called SEGA Atlus Corp eventually.

That is not to say they will not go on a further spending spree (Since 2012 SEGA Sammy Holdings has purchased Three Rings, Relic and now Atlus) but I doubt they will chuck all their acquired companies in this one company, more likely is that a new subsidiary will be established.

Actually when you think of it and the way its been created so Atlus can run independently from Sega and not be part of the actual Sega brand, i have a feeling that Sega Dream can be used to buy out other semi big to big game publishers in japan or the west for that same purpose. Segasammy the EA of japan! RUN!