Author Topic: "SEGA GENESIS" Question  (Read 4873 times)

Offline baba_944

• Total Meseta: 0
"SEGA GENESIS" Question
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:56:30 pm »
I wanted to play with my "SEGA GENESIS" MODEL 1 for its 25th but I don't have the right RF switch besides the "SEGA GENESIS" MODEL 2. Can I mod it to work for my MODEL 1?

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: "SEGA GENESIS" Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 01:33:54 pm »
Only way I'm aware of is if you have a 32X. Plug that into your Model 1 and you'll be able to use the Model 2 RF.

Offline baba_944

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:02:02 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have a 32X. Beast of a console though. Nor do I have a SEGA CD.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »
Right........you should be able to use the AV output of the PCEngine ( unless I am wrong so double check ) in place of the RF output.  Otherwise I do not know which other way. I do also have the AV for the MarkIII but I don't know if that can work as well???? Again somebody confirm this again. You can always us an RF from "RadioShack".

They usually carry the item called "Game Switch" their. Just go down and ask them. It is for the Atari game systems and they still carry them in stock ( because they never really sell them so much ). The Atari game switch/RF also works on the Genesis, PCE, and MarkIII. It can work on an NES too but it gets crap results with the NES RF????????
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:24:13 pm by RegalSin »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:44 pm »
Those RF adapters are pretty easy to come by, so I wouldn't bother trying to mod one. Also, as RegalSin mentioned, you can get an AV adapter that works for both the Mark III/Master System and the Genesis. I usually see them for about $5-10. And it's a better quality signal than RF.

Offline baba_944

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:28:41 pm »
Thank you. Just another question. What does a "SEGA GENESIS" Model 1 RF switch loo like? It's been years since I saw one. I keep finding a Model 1 RF switch. When I look up photos for it, it shows only the Model 2 RF switch.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:34:31 pm »
Okay here is the thing. I have two kinds of Genesis and the JP one I have is occupying the big fat ( Older Keyboard looking ) Input. The western version of the MD also has this port?????? So you should be able to use the big fat AV or the single tiny looking version ( which should be the Game Switch for the Atari ).

Again I am not too sure. I know that when things got switched the US the ( NES and SNES ) were not backwards compadible with Atari Game Switches.

Please somebody confirm this.

Your looking for an RF that is an tiny single input to the system or maybe the big fat one that looks like it belongs to a keyboard from 1991????

I don't know as I have to disconnect everything before powering up both Genesis models.

It is just so many combinations/ Especially with the PCE which has a second model that also takes the fatty RF and the fatty AV out???

My best bet is trying the game switch from the Atari as SEGA uses it's technology.

Offline baba_944

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 08:05:09 am »
Okay here is the thing. I have two kinds of Genesis and the JP one I have is occupying the big fat ( Older Keyboard looking ) Input. The western version of the MD also has this port? ??? ?? So you should be able to use the big fat AV or the single tiny looking version ( which should be the Game Switch for the Atari ).

Again I am not too sure. I know that when things got switched the US the ( NES and SNES ) were not backwards compadible with Atari Game Switches.

Please somebody confirm this.

Your looking for an RF that is an tiny single input to the system or maybe the big fat one that looks like it belongs to a keyboard from 1991? ???

I don't know as I have to disconnect everything before powering up both Genesis models.

It is just so many combinations/ Especially with the PCE which has a second model that also takes the fatty RF and the fatty AV out???

My best bet is trying the game switch from the Atari as SEGA uses it's technology.

Is the SEGA GENESIS RF switch ports the same as the UK Sega Genesis ports. I know exactly what you're talking about for Atari but which one? 2600, or something else.

Offline baba_944

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:28:00 pm »
I have an "Atari Jaguar" RF Switch that works fine with my SEGA GENESIS. thanks for the help though.