Author Topic: So....Valkyria Revolution's reviews have showed up.  (Read 13125 times)

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
So....Valkyria Revolution's reviews have showed up.
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:44:36 am »
Here's the metacritic score...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/valkyria-revolution

Now I knew that the game will not be in great heights but I never thought it would end up being mediocre levels at all....wonder whether Sonic Mania will end up like this as well...

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: So....Valkyria Revolution's reviews have showed up.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:13:38 am »
I suspect not as they're both entirely different in every aspect. Mania has a team behind it that has experince in what they're doing and every demo or clip shown has had a positive response. Valkyria Revolution was created with a new direction and the response to that was mixed from the word go and once out in Japan, it wasn't a hit.

To me, this seems like Sega knew it wouldn't do well and they've just sort of thrown it out there to die. It's been released with no fanfare, just after E3 and during a Steam sale. Conbine that with the reviews and we're looking at a game that won't sell well at all. I give Sega credit for trying something new, but again they've got the balance between being creative and building on a games already made foundations wrong.

Hopefully we'll see more of the Valkyria universe in a Chronicles style of gameplay, but we'll have to see.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:18:45 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:31:59 am »
Sonic Mania isn't in any way related with this.. Why would you compare the two.
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:00:39 am »
Sonic Mania isn't in any way related with this.. Why would you compare the two.

I think it's about getting hyped up for games that aren't out yet.  here's the difference though.  Sonic mania is keeping the core gameplay and it has playable demos.  It really does look worth the hype.  Whereas Valkyria Revolution ditched not only the core gameplay but also ended up being exactly what it appeared to be in the beginning, mediocre.   I hope Sega doesn't blame the fans for this either.  Fans demanded the original style and Sega met them in the middle with the action style mixed with strategy elements and it just didn't mesh well at all.  Cutscenes aren't just long, they're boring to boot.  Even among anime clones, this one feels very run of the mill with no soul to it.  Compare that to the Chronicles games and they are totally different.   Not saying a game has to be exactly the same as the others in it's own series but it has to at least have something familiar and be enjoyable.  It's like the age old question, what makes a game a game?  Think about what went into the originals and go from there, it's much more than aesthetics.  This is why Sonic Mania works.  It looks genuinely fun to play.  Valkyria Revolution looks and plays like it was unfinished.  If it were all action, there are still issues with the characters and story and the cutscenes ect.  Music is gorgeous, but the composer is a professional, and has a very good track record.  I really think Sega just should have made Valkyria Chronicles 3 instead or alongside this game and make Revolution bonus content dlc for it.  Revolution is not worth the asking price.
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:05:06 am »
Also we seem to be in a weird transition era where Japanese game developers want to rebrand their core classics with different styles to modernize them and make them more appealing to a broader audience.  Cannot say I am a huge fan of this.  I want my JRPGs to stay JRPGs.  I went to JRPGs when everyone else was playing open world sandbox games and first person shooters.  It was my favorite genre growing up and still is, but it's losing it's style of gameplay over time lately.  Valkyria needs to stay Strategy oriented to keep it's fans happy.  :D Either that or make more Shining force games? 
Be like water.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 03:58:08 am »
I can't help but think Eurogamer its going OTT. I think the main trouble with this game is its a game the fans never really wanted. They wanted a true sequel with improved Canvas tech and made by the original team. I hope SEGA learns from this and allows the main team to make a true sequel. 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sieghardt

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 08:52:58 am »
I'm sure Sega will make a new proper turn based Valkyria Chronicles soon
I'm sure Sega will make a new proper turn based Shining Force soon
I'm sure Sega will make a new proper turn based Phantasy Star soon

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:46 am »
To be honest..I wouldn't really mind this game happening if they atleast made an attempt to localise Valkyria Chronicles 3 but even that they decide not to do.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 07:25:08 pm »
I'm sure Sega will make a new proper turn based Valkyria Chronicles soon
I'm sure Sega will make a new proper turn based Shining Force soon
I'm sure Sega will make a new proper turn based Phantasy Star soon

If they can do it with Persona 5, they can do it with those 3 games too.  :D
Be like water.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 10:24:49 pm »
The truth is, none of the subsequent Valkyria games have been as good as the first one. I don't mind them trying out different play styles in a spinoff like this one. But aesthetically none of them have come close to the beautiful art direction of the first one.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 09:49:55 am »
If they can do it with Persona 5, they can do it with those 3 games too.  :D

there was 7th dragon and Shining Force Feather, sadly never localized

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 10:41:21 am »
there was 7th dragon and Shining Force Feather, sadly never localized

and yet we keep getting fire emblem.  :p  c'mon, Sega!  The rest of the world still plays strategy games!  Look at Total War!
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 02:34:54 am »
and yet we keep getting fire emblem.  :p  c'mon, Sega!  The rest of the world still plays strategy games!  Look at Total War!
Total War is from Sega.
Nobody would give a rats ass about Shining Force aside from fans.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 03:22:50 am »
Sega would have to treat a lot of their old titles as new IP's at this point. I do think there is gaps in the market for them though. Just look at the space Nintendo have left with Zelda now being a giant open world RPG instead of a more traditional linear experience.

Just a couple of ideas:

Space Channel 5 = Miku dance or whatever it's called. They could even make a mobile game.
Golden Axe = A lighter toned Dark Souls
Panza Dragoon = either a rail like gun game or a linear RPG
Streets of rage = a small arcade beat em up
Guardian Forces = Dynasty Warriors perhaps?
Shining Forces = I can imagine this working as a smaller title like I am Setsuna or even take a gamble on a turn based game. Final Fantasy has been naff since moving away from it.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:23:08 am by Tad »

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 06:28:45 am »
Shining Force will sell because of the Fire Emblem crowd.
Be like water.