Author Topic: Random gaming thoughts.  (Read 21487 times)

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Random gaming thoughts.
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2017, 09:18:58 am »
wat.
https://youtu.be/BJW28_0jBPM?t=14m49s

Whenever you did go somewhat fast, it would clip through the rings.  :/
Be like water.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:53 am »
I dunno about new, but i have heard about some on handheld, like 999 (more like a visual novel) and Hotel Dusk for nintendo ds(sorta a point n click mystery game that's also kind of a visual novel...), Broken Sword series and Blazing Dragons for PS1, Snatcher and Policenauts, there is a remake of Maniac Mansion in the works, Victor Vector and Yondo series for PC/Mac (you'll need dosbox and prolly scummvm?  it covers a lot of adventure games, but i think the Victor Vector series was made in Canada...)  Telltale makes em still, but not as deep as lucasarts's golden oldies.  I mean yeah stuff like walking dead offers multiple choice sorta, like choose your own adventure books almost.... ALMOST.  Batman had one, Back to the Future had one, Strong Bad had one, Jurassic Park did i think?  Game of Thrones.....meh.  There's supposed to be another franchise they are adapting but I forgot which.  haven't played any of their games since BTTF the game, and that gave me sorta closure for the trilogy. 

New?  don't have a good enough computer (still in the early 2000s.  :p ) and don't have steam.  If i did i would be trying all sorts of em.  Not bold enough to try any on PSN, as my money usually goes to games I used to play as a kid like Wolfenstein 3D and Bomberman.  I didn't play any of the Monkey Island games but I hear good things.  The first 2 games are remastered on PSN for PS3, and Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle are for PS4 and Vita.  Indiana Jones and the Fate of atlantis remastered got cancelled due to copyright, original version is on Staff of Kings for wii.  There's a Monkey Island game for PS2, i think it's the 4th one?  There's also the Myst series (no Journeyman Project collection or Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of The Monster yet.  I hope Sega of Europe puts Frankenstein on Sega Forever someday as it was released for Saturn over there.  :D One can only dream....) 

I need to dig deeper for point n clicks

Think I've played all of those hehe. Cheers though. I hear Wadjet eye games tend to be good, but I'm not a huge fan of pixel art games, so I'm not as interested in them. One I really enjoyed not long was King's Quest (the recent 3D game). That was really good I thought.

After Shenmue (take out the fighting and it's an adventure game at heart) I was really hoping for that to be the start of more 3D adventure games, but there seems to be a very small market for it :C

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2017, 07:05:06 pm »
Think I've played all of those hehe. Cheers though. I hear Wadjet eye games tend to be good, but I'm not a huge fan of pixel art games, so I'm not as interested in them. One I really enjoyed not long was King's Quest (the recent 3D game). That was really good I thought.

After Shenmue (take out the fighting and it's an adventure game at heart) I was really hoping for that to be the start of more 3D adventure games, but there seems to be a very small market for it :C

Tim wanted to keep em going, but Lucasarts wanted more action games.  That's why Full Throttle never got a sequel.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2017, 12:13:29 am »
Yeah, there's been quite a few studios lately that have moved awat from adventure games so it's no surprise. They just don't seem to make enough money for them to be financially viable. Daedalic stidios, Size Five Games, Double Fine (only remasters) or they've had to drop in quality like Microids have. Seems like hybrids like Life is Strange is the only way forward.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 07:08:19 am »
Yeah, there's been quite a few studios lately that have moved awat from adventure games so it's no surprise. They just don't seem to make enough money for them to be financially viable. Daedalic stidios, Size Five Games, Double Fine (only remasters) or they've had to drop in quality like Microids have. Seems like hybrids like Life is Strange is the only way forward.

Shenmue 3 for me is the closest thing, and that's ok.  :D
Be like water.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:41 am »
Just a meme I made with MS Paint.
Yeah, I'm a PS Vita owner.

Pictures' credit goes to these games and publisher :

Tokyo Xanadu (Aksys Games)
 Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Koei Tecmo Games)
 Valkyria Revolution (SEGA)

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (NIS America)
 "He-Who-Only-Saw-Vita-As-PS4-Controller"
 A Rose in the Twilight (NIS America)

The Caligula Effect (Atlus)
 Nurse Love Addiction (Degica)
 Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (XSEED Games)

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 05:58:00 am »
Just a meme I made with MS Paint.
Yeah, I'm a PS Vita owner.

Pictures' credit goes to these games and publisher :

Tokyo Xanadu (Aksys Games)
 Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Koei Tecmo Games)
 Valkyria Revolution (SEGA)

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (NIS America)
 "He-Who-Only-Saw-Vita-As-PS4-Controller"
 A Rose in the Twilight (NIS America)

The Caligula Effect (Atlus)
 Nurse Love Addiction (Degica)
 Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (XSEED Games)

Hell I'm happy Persona 5 is on PS3.  :D
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
Interesting bit of infomation on Steam sales: https://twitter.com/danthat/status/891998922557804544

In short, people who would buy a game would have already have bought it before a steam sale. Those who buy purely on a sale are likely to leave bad reviews because of it not being what they thought it was. Because of this, devs are thinking about not dropping their games so much in a sale.

Offline Tad

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 06:05:36 pm »

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 05:24:44 pm »
Crash Bandicoot 1-3 are just as hard in the remakes as they are in the original games.  It's more like just the aesthetics were improved and that's it.  Controls feel slightly different, but it's pretty much the same games.  Honestly though I do prefer the PS1 originals.   It's nice that all 3 are in one collection so I can't argue with that.  It's a good deal.  Now if only we could get CTR.  :)  Word on the street is Spyro is coming back too.   Between Sonic, Crash, Spyro, and Bubsy, (even Yooka Laylee to a certain extent) it seems like 3d mascot platformers are making a comeback.   Yeah they are challenging, but they're fun.  I really don't see why so many people are complaining about the difficulty.  I mean yeah I died in Crash alot as a kid.  But I got better the more I played them.  Same for Sonic Mania even though it's 2D.  It's got some good old school challenges.  I can't wait until people start speed running that game.  It's gonna be amazing! 
Be like water.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2018, 07:31:33 am »
I kind of miss the days when there was still a huge synergy within SEGA and their franchises. With references pointed towards older games or other franchises. I wonder if there's staff even remembering the older work