Author Topic: Bought a Japanese Sega Saturn!  (Read 4455 times)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Bought a Japanese Sega Saturn!
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:26:02 am »
I just purchased a white Japanese Saturn. I've had an American one for years, but never really caught onto the Saturn era of games because the Playstation was a better option for me years back. I first bought one in 2001, but they already had a very limited number of games at a local Funcoland.[/size]Anyways, bought a Japanese one for imports. I know i could've picked up an Action Replay, but i wanted one for collection purposes. I purchased a few games online, but haven't arrived yet:

J. League Sakatsuku 2
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual-On Troopers
Falcom Classics
Virtua Cop
Nights into Dreams
Puyo Puyo

So, what games do you all recommend?
[/color]
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Bought a Japanese Sega Saturn!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:03:21 am »
If money is no problem, there's a vast library of excellent (and shockingly expensive) STG/shmup/maniac shooters to explore. Personally I invested in a modded Saturn in order to be able to play backups and not have to shell out $600 for something like Hyper Duel. Here's a link that covers most of them: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters

I also think the collection of Sega's Super Scaler arcade games is mostly superb. Out Run, Space Harrier, After Burner, Power Drift, and Galaxy Force II are all very close to arcade perfect, and they all benefit from either the Racing Wheel or the Mission Stick. The one exception in this series is Gale Racer, which is a very poor port and just not worth playing, I'm sad to say.

Other fighting games that you might look into - Fighting Vipers and the VF/FV crossover, Fighters Megamix. Last Bronx has a really elaborately designed world and backstories for its characters. Virtua Fighter Kids is funny and it's crazy that there was a time when such a silly idea for a game could be a full retail release.

Of course, the Panzer Dragoon games are masterpieces, all three of them.

Among 3D racing games, you're definitely going to need a racing wheel. Manx TT is an excellent game. Sega Rally and Daytona are great, of course. Virtua Racing and Race Drivin' are cool because they are so faithful to the arcade games, while adding in additional courses and cars, but they certainly aren't pushing the system's limits. There are also a number of interesting and somewhat lesser-known drifting games, like Touge King the Spirits.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »
Haha, i wish money wasn't a problem. If that were so, i'd pick up the Panzer Dragoon games for sure.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations man, very well thought out, really appreciate it. I've listened to your picks and am now watching a copy of Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, and Touge King the Spirits on eBay. A few of the others are a bit pricey, or i just cannot find them.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on the shmups you mentioned too. Finding classics like Outrun and Space Harrier is appearing to be a little more difficult than i thought. I wish we had retro stores out here in Cali, but there aren't many around my area, so i'm forced to stick with eBay.

If you know of any other good retro sites, let me know.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »
I'd get an action replay, even if you think you don't need it. It's great to have and TBH, a Japanese Saturn is a better main Saturn to use. My US model has been in a box for years. As for games, get the fighters obviously. I'd also suggest getting stuff that is more expensive in the US on the JP Saturn, like Astal. I own quite a few games with language barriers just because the packaging is so nice. Like I have D and Enemy Zero, and Azel. Can't play them really, but love looking through the full color booklets and at least popping the disc in and attempting a few minutes of play.

Congrats on the buy, a white Saturn is a must own for any Saturn fan.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 11:16:07 am »
Where would i be able to get an Action Replay from aside form eBay? Most i've seen are quite expensive.

Haha, i'm the same way in that i own Japanese games that i cannot play, but only purchase them due to the amazing covers. I found a decent Lunar game on eBay, but wasn't sure if i should take the plunge and use a guide? Would you recommend that?

I've been going after fighters like you guys recommended. I recently purchased a copy of Megamix and am watching a Darkstalkers game right now. I also landed Virtua Cop 2. The futbol game i mentioned buying above: J. League turned out to be some kind of simulator, lol, so i've no idea wtf i'm doing. Thankfully it was only $4.00

I appreciate the recommendation Barry, i knew you'd have a lot of knowledge on this console. My "white" Saturn isn't so white though, lol, it has some sun damage so it's pretty dark.

Offline Betwixt Thieves

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 12:09:43 pm »
Lunar is fun if you enjoy old school turn based JRPG. A guide would be sufficient to get through it. I used to have a Japanese copy that I played through.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 08:16:38 pm »
Where would i be able to get an Action Replay from aside form eBay?
Most i've seen are quite expensive.

Play-Asia has it for the right price.
I bought one from them.
http://www.play-asia.com/action-replay-4m-auto-plus/13/701b2

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:14:14 pm »
Nice Berto thanks for posting a link, that's not a bad price at all. Ill be picking one up fairly soon.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 09:38:25 am »
The play-asia one is nice, I think I picked mine up from them. It works really well.