Author Topic: Random gaming thoughts.  (Read 21494 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Random gaming thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 01:59:39 pm »
I think they stopped that before it was released due to the backlash and being a stupid idea. Xbox One is a nice machine, but the bad start really hit them which is a real shame. It sort of felt like MS picked up SEGA's torch when they bound out. Heck, the Xbox controller is pretty much a Dreamcast controller refined.

I'm really not a fan of these .5 gen leaps we're seeing in the console market, but hopefully it'll be rare thing than a normal thing as I can see it becoming quite damaging after a while.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:03:40 am by Tad »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 03:17:42 am »
Ps4 just had 3 great 3rd party exclusives xbox One didn't get.

Yakuza 0
Tales of Berseria
Nioh

I think at this point if you're a console gamer the decision is pretty obvious. Xbox definitely needs to step up its game and I do hope to see some competition.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:16 am »
It also doesn't require the internet like the Xbox One does.
That is also not even true.

And as a platform the Xbox completely obliterates the PS4. However, it has an unfortunate lack of exclusives, mainly because MS's previous gaming administration completely failed to gather indie support (which is absolutely essential this day and age).

I think the Xbox has better package and value in comparison with the PS4, however I believe the PS4 has a better game catalog, and that matters most.

The Scorpio won't be Xbox 1.5. It is effectively the fourth main Xbox unit.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 11:05:47 am »
I dunno. The Digital Foundry rumoured specs (they're usually quite accurate) aren't anything to shout about. The Scorpio looks set to sit just above the PS4 Pro in power.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 11:48:10 am »
I still remain of the opinion that software is a lot more imporant than hardware. Well nowadays 720p should at least be a minimum.

My point is that ps4 pro and scorpio are irrelevant to me and I hope this trend of midgen consoles wont influence the content on base models.

I get the scorpio. I get what microsoft wants to do with it, but they reeaaaaallly need to back it up with some solid exclusives. I know Microsoft can do a lot better than what they've been doing and it is time for them to bring actual competition in the software department. Scalebounds cancelation was simply unacceptable. That game was going to be dope despite its sales potential not being that great. Such a waste imo
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:05:03 pm by CrazyT »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 06:56:08 pm »
What. The DF report is based on a leak and focuses on the techniques used to produce 4k image, which are indeed comparable to the PS4pro.
As for raw graphical/processing power, the numbers provided by MS are way beyond what the PS4 is capable of right now. Ofc these are biased, but they point at a generational shift. It's not a midgen console.

MS wants to implement the "iPhone model" in which there is a more frequent hardware release and software slowly follows it.
Legacy systems continue to play the newer games until a certain breaking point.

I find this concept a good compromise if done right. We will see.

As for games, I don't think the Scalebound cancelation is a problem. What's worrying is that there weren't much more games to get hyped with, which now translates into a drought.

Halo Wars 2 looks set to be excellent, but it's not enough game output for the moment. They need to step it up
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 07:35:00 am »
Their plans dont seem bad, it's just that the momentum keeps getting disrupted. Seems like they could do a lot better which is what I would like to see. Sea of thieves looks interesting tbh and I do wish microsoft to have a breakout game but its dissapointing when stuff gets mishandled.

Scalebound was a huge game built from the ground up. It needed time and even without its cancellation it wouldnt have filled a drought soon, but I feel like it could have been handled better. Seems like a bunch of egos clashed behind the scenes, which could give away how microsoft is operates at the moment. Just my impresssion really..

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:11 am »
Another way to put it is that Platinum Games has had troubled relationships and mediocre output ever since they left the Sega partnership.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:38 pm »
I agree with Crackdude on this. I think Plat have a great creative team, but they've fallen a lot since the first few games. Has no one else noticed since Bayonetta/MGSR they've used the same system in every game but W101?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 05:27:55 am »
Please don't take me as a MS fanboy or wtv, I'm not.
But I do believe in their vision, and the way the new leadership was able to turn the Xbox around to being a great platform is outstanding.
Butchered game output now is a clean reflection of the state Microsoft's gaming division was in about 3 years ago. They must step up their game.
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 07:46:26 am »
@crackdude

Oh, don't misunderstand me... I'm not bashing the Xbox One. Not at all. I owe Microsoft a lot for the Xbox 360. That console was mad awesome. It's just that in my mind, Sony made a better pitch with the Playstation 4.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 08:00:18 am »
That's what I really love about this generation. Never have two consoles been so similar in architecture but so different in vision.

Really excited for the next gen. I believe Sony took a gamble (and misstep) with the PS4 Pro. They need to bring their A game with the PS5.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 04:28:10 am »
I'm half tempted to remake some cases for some of my Dreamcast games at the moment. I'll keep the originals of coure, but as much as I like how different the DC PAL cases are, they're so brittle it's insane it got past tests.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:21 am »
I always wondered why Sonic music on genesis sounded so much better than most any other game on the same chip. Not only does it sound like night and day, it sounds as if it uses a whole advanced tech better than anything at the time. The sounds are so varied compared to other games which usually had what they call the distinct genesis sound, and this is from sonic 1. Well i aint forgettin streets of rage ofcourse. It's still really impressive.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 02:36:40 am »
I always wondered why Sonic music on genesis sounded so much better than most any other game on the same chip. Not only does it sound like night and day, it sounds as if it uses a whole advanced tech better than anything at the time. The sounds are so varied compared to other games which usually had what they call the distinct genesis sound, and this is from sonic 1. Well i aint forgettin streets of rage ofcourse. It's still really impressive.

get musicians and composers who know what they're doing, and you get good music in games. 

guys like Jesper Kyd, Howard Drossin, Micahel Jackson even.  haha.  Also the composers to games like Space Harrier and Shining Force.
Be like water.