Author Topic: Sonic 2013 Speculation Thread  (Read 103632 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sonic 2013 Speculation Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:08 pm »
I agree that they were an evolution of the Nightopeans, which were themselves a hands-off AI garden. But what I meant to get across was that the Chaos were very much hand in hand with the VMU. I'm certain SEGA higher ups tasked Sonic Team with making something that would utilize the VMU, and Naka and Iizuka decided to carry over their NiGHTS concept and evolve it. But beyond the Dreamcast, I just don't see a place for them. But I do get their popularity. I myself was a big Chao head in the DC days.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 08:14:52 pm »
Generations Seaside Hill stage was, for me, the perfect marriage of ZOMG Unleashed speed and Sonic Adventure gameplay. It was just such a joy to play, there was 3D exploration, quick gimmicks, fun 2D sections and some speedy boost bits that were really well implemented. Like the water running and zooming around corners.

This is interesting because while I eventually found seaside hill fun to play(I actually find myself replaying it the most now), I think it's kind of a mess level design wise.  The camera is constantly forcing a perspective and the objectives are pretty unclear most of the time in terms of which way you should go.  Water running can go away forever as far as I'm concerned unless you can actually fall through the water to an alternate path below.  Obviously nothing in seaside hill was as offensive as the water running segments in Unleashed but still, they're home to some of the cheapest deaths.  Seaside hill in general requires you to memorize paths rather than react organically to situations, something I hope to avoid in future games.  The level does have a nice sense of variety though, that much is certain.       

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 11:17:49 pm »
To build on what Barry mentioned about exploration in Seaside Hill... what about a 3D Sonic game where the levels aren't just giant race-tracks/obstacle courses? That works pretty well, but what about big open stages where it's not 'A to B fast as you can' but more exploration and platforming based? Like the adventure hubs, but more than just hubs

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:07 am »
To build on what Barry mentioned about exploration in Seaside Hill... what about a 3D Sonic game where the levels aren't just giant race-tracks/obstacle courses? That works pretty well, but what about big open stages where it's not 'A to B fast as you can' but more exploration and platforming based? Like the adventure hubs, but more than just hubs

I would be in complete support of that.  Exploration is the chocolate to this franchises peanut butter as S3&K and Colors demonstrate.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 02:03:06 am »
I'm having a more passive stance about this so i'll just wait and see.

Though Preferably I would like to see a good execution of the adventure(1, not 2) formula.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 06:06:54 am »
Sonic Colours 2...or if not, something along that line...even a spin-off would suffice.

Episode 3 to conclude Sonic 4.

Probably an original 3DS game that takes advantage of the 3D as a gimmick. "Sonic Blur"?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 11:40:34 am »
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/15zk5m/sonic_propel/

Project - PROPEL
The game will be available on the XBOX 360, Playstation 3 and Wii U, with a separate edition on the Nintendo 3DS to be developed by Dimps. Developed by the same team behind Sonic Colors and told to be using a modification of the so-called Hedgehog Engine from Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, Propel is allegedly inspired by the successful re-release of Christian Whitehead’s Sonic CD, featuring a slight modification on the Modern Sonic design, and multiple Metal Sonics for the hero to tackle. Dialogue, plot and story background will remain at a minimum, and gameplay will encourage exploration, according to the post.

Eggman is allegedly set to restart the Death Egg project in Propel, and Tails will be part of the adventure as well, again assuming a utility role a la Sonic 4: Episode II and helping Sonic get to high, hard to reach places. Propel allegedly includes a three act structure, plus three additional “challenge” acts that are hidden and can be unlocked while playing. Chaos Emeralds are set to return in this alleged game, and that means Super Sonic should as well.

Just some rumors.. Wouldn't mind all that much if they were true.
SEG4GES

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:05 pm »
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/15zk5m/sonic_propel/

Just some rumors.. Wouldn't mind all that much if they were true.

I mean it does sound lovely. . .

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:29 pm »
I could see that happening, repair the damage Dimps has done to 2D Sonic in 2013, and buy time for Iizuka-san's next gen master piece that hes working on right now. Maybe he'll even name his masterpiece Sonic Adventure 3.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »
I want more 3D platforming this time, Generations was pretty good, but I was disappointed that most of the platforming you did in the game was when the camera turns 2D, even though its a 3D game (Modern Stages).  Some levels did 3D platforming well, like Sky Sanctuary and Crisis City. But we need more focus on that aspect in future titles.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 01:48:29 pm »
it's difficult to say how the next Sonic game will actually LOOK like...

In Colors we had surreal worlds

In Unleashed realistic (but colorful) ones

And in Generations traditional Sonic Artstyle (for the Genesis era anyway)

Besides that I can't think of any broad Sonic tropes. We may actually get a specific theme like in Rush Adventure and the Storybook games.

Also a Outrun Styled progression system would be sweet

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 01:55:18 pm »
Also a Outrun Styled progression system would be sweet
Shadow the Hedgehog. only the dead know peace from this rustling
SEG4GES

Offline Trippled

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »
Shadow the Hedgehog. only the dead know peace from this rustling

yea, but good. with no mission and stuff

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 11:43:18 pm »
someone fluent in Japanese fully translated the rumor for us English peasents viewing pleasure

*Propel is a working title
*360, ps3 will be launched first, As for the wii version, it will be launched later
*Will be developed by Sonic team's Sonic Colors segment
*There is no indication it will be released for the next Microsoft and Sony units
*As for the success of the Sonic CD digital re-release, more realistic, Propel's art direction will be inspired by this
*As for Sonic's model, some of repetive elements from old classic and modern era like short stiff spines, slinder arms and legs and round body... to a certain extent will be modified
*A generation mechanics featuring slow geared development for more punctual distribution and abundant fine tuning, will be utilized
*The frequently enhanced "Hedgehog Engine", will be implemented in things like better illumination as well as motion blur
*Minimal plot
*As for eggman, 5 unique metal sonics, each with a unique design and functionality will be deployed
*Will probably do a Death Egg that reboots
*A dramatic decrease in interactivity, no more action based cut-scenes
*Eggman will speak abundantly more than the other characters
*Placing emphasis on stage investigation
*Assisting hidden characters in the stage, you can do this as a power-up options similar to flying that could open secret passage ways...
*Tales, in the way of Sonic 4, character fly ability assist function...
*Although you progress via Shadow the Hedgehog style forking levels, depending on several goal rings, it may be an inaccessible landmark(?)
*3 act level structure. When reaching any goal ring, decides the next place you start at in the next act. Whichever rings you obtain determines changes to the cut scene and story progression, as well will slightly alter the boss stage.
*When you hit a rank, there are are 3 hidden challenge deeds
*First stage is Evergreen Escapade
*As for the optional chaos emerald, for gathering all of those you must take different routes and it is necessary to do several theatres (playthrough?)...
*After emeralds are gathered up, you can do super sonic in all leve
*Secret Final Battle when all emeralds are gathered up
*Easy, Medium, Hard degree of difficulty mode, hint bubble as well as warnings/advice can be disabled.
*3DS version is being developed by means of DIMPS
*In the 3DS version, will use an entirely new graphic engine
*In 3DS version, primarily in 2D, via the touch pad control 3D segment shift
*3DS version differing story development
*In 3DS's both version, Tails however is subtited as an assist character

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?444569-found-some-information-today-on-the-new-game&p=7764561&viewfull=1#post7764561

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 06:03:16 am »
Reads like Sonic CD 2 despite the Propel project name.

Sounds interesting.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.