Author Topic: Do you still like Sega? - Redux (Post E3 2013 Edition)  (Read 59609 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Do you still like Sega? - Redux (Post E3 2013 Edition)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 05:11:23 am »
I do. And you can still be a fan, even if you don't like what they do currently.

Spot on - Just like with a Football team . You can love and cheer on your football side while  totally slaging off the manager and the club development structure.  SEGA at the moment is pretty boring and dull and seems to be way behind the rest on the next gen yet again .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 09:43:16 am »
Okay, proper answer time:

I still like SEGA and I will always like SEGA.

Firstly, taking nostalgia into it, nothing will take away the past 20+ years of enjoyment that the company has brought me. Sure there were hard times (the end of the Genesis era, the death of the Dreamcast, the murky 2005-2007 era) but there was just so much goodness that the company gave me that I'll never forget and can never stop enjoying. We may not be seeing games like JSRF or Panzer Dragoon Orta in 2013, but that doesn't stop me from booting up my Xbox and enjoying those titles. From that standpoint, I have all the great memories and I can revisit them whenever I want.

Secondly, there is the huge amount of titles and hardware that I have yet to experience. Looking at current gen, I've yet to even experience any of the PS3 SEGA exclusives. Looking back, I've yet to experience anything pre-Genesis outside of emulators. Even if something is of the past, it's still new to me. So in that sense, I love all the unseen retro and modern goodness that SEGA has to offer me.

Thirdly, while SEGA's output has reduced in the third party era, there are still plenty of quality titles. Back when we recorded our 2+ hours podcast revisiting ten years of third party SEGA games, I was reminded of how great the first few years were (see my first point above). But I was also reminded of how bad the middle years got. 2005-2008 were pretty bad, with the latter half of '08 starting to get better. So many awful outsourced sequels to classic IPs. So many failed licensed titles (*cough*MARVEL*cough*). So many in-house titles that failed to impress. However, '09 to '13 have been a lot of fun as a SEGA fan. The digital rereleases are very well done (the Monster World Vintage Collection, Guardian Heroes, Sonic CD, Sonic 1, JSR, and SA2), the Sonic franchise is great again (Colors and Generations, the upcoming Lost World), SEGA Japan has produced some really cool looking titles (PSO2, Yakuza 5).

Of course I have complaints about the company, but from my perspective you're equating more complaints with less liking towards the company. It just doesn't work that way for me. I have the great memories that will make me a fan for life, I have the long un-ticked checklist of games and hardware I've yet to experience, and I have the modern era which I've enjoyed for the past five years.

So yeah, I still like SEGA and always will.

Honestly as a blogging point of a view, SEGA is getting boring. I mean, a few titles. This is what I bitched they should have done a couple of years ago, go with fewer titles but push them hard.

I totally see where you're coming from, and I partially agree. We've gone weeks without much newsworthy stuff to share. However I don't want to proclaim 2013 as a miss when SEGA has surprised us in the past with unexpected reveals of titles. We won't be seeing Shenmue III this year, but we very well could see some mystery titles (as our SKU list tells us) as well as more digital rereleases announced in the coming days/months.

Also, when the modern stuff gets light, I've found shifting focus to retro stuff fulfills more than enough content to write about. Really, I don't think SEGA blogging every gets boring if you shift your focus when need be.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 09:58:54 am »
on a slightly related note-

I recently finished revamping the sega studios wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_software_development_studios

I think it gives good prespective how Sega in-house development shrank and grew over the years.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 10:03:21 am »
on a slightly related note-

I recently finished revamping the sega studios wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_software_development_studios

I think it gives good prespective how Sega in-house development shrank and grew over the years.

Very cool stuff, just gave it a read. Do you contribute to the SEGA Retro wiki?

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02:04 pm »
Thirdly, while SEGA's output has reduced in the third party era, there are still plenty of quality titles. Back when we recorded our 2+ hours podcast revisiting ten years of third party SEGA games, I was reminded of how great the first few years were (see my first point above). But I was also reminded of how bad the middle years got. 2005-2008 were pretty bad, with the latter half of '08 starting to get better. So many awful outsourced sequels to classic IPs. So many failed licensed titles (*cough*MARVEL*cough*). So many in-house titles that failed to impress. However, '09 to '13 have been a lot of fun as a SEGA fan. The digital rereleases are very well done (the Monster World Vintage Collection, Guardian Heroes, Sonic CD, Sonic 1, JSR, and SA2), the Sonic franchise is great again (Colors and Generations, the upcoming Lost World), SEGA Japan has produced some really cool looking titles (PSO2, Yakuza 5).

Technically the marvel titles or at least IRON MAN games didn't fail because they sold over a million for each game. Its the quality of the title that really comes into question, which they paid for with another licensed game in the form of ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES. Which is probably why they didn't show the new ALIEN game from Creative Assembly in order to distance themselves andthat game from the controversy of the last one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:05:02 pm by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 02:25:35 pm »
Yeah, sorry, meant the Marvel games from a quality perspective.

At least now, SEGA has some big name IPs (Total War, Company of Heroes) that I can be proud of selling well. Aliens: CM is the exception, but I'm sure the Creative Assembly title will be quality.

Oh yeah, I was reading the Hardcore Gaming 101 SEGA Arcade History book last night and they noted that SEGA made Alien Syndrome because they couldn't obtain the Alien IP (Konami had it). Funny, because now they have the Alien IP.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 03:01:37 pm »
And that's the thing right there. Sega has always had a topsy turvey way of doing things that one should really get use to it by now. That's why i dont understand this whole thing with the E3 backlash because sega hasn't being doing a good E3 for years. Infact they keep announcing new games before and after E3,all indications seem to point of another new game announcement next week..hint hint.

But as we have seen with Sonic and other game series they produce, they get a couple right and then mess up the next four games in the series.

Back to ALIENS, SOJ only made one ALIEN game based on the third one and that was good. The Marvel stuff is a missed opportunity because the last time Sega had that license both SOJ and Sega of America made Marvel games and it worked. The same with the Disney licenses as well. If they had taken that approach with the Marvel movie games and the new Alien games then maybe the quality would have been much better. instead of one side doing it all. They also tried to do a game based on Wonder woman but didn't get the license so they called it something else.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:59 pm »
No.This has been more of a very recent occurrence for me. I've been buying every SEGA game at launch including the more niche ones(among us) like the total war games(let's face it, the games arent popular among the original SEGA fans) to the smaller titles like the cave and hell yeah.

But I haven't found that top quality satisfaction in them. Something i've been really missing like where literally everything just connects as one and sinks you into this beautifully, imaginative created world with some of the most excellent music you'd hear. Games like wonder boy, streets of rage, shinobi, skies of arcadia, shenmue and jet set radio. I'm just missing that so much. Sonic is the only IP still being kept alive, and that nostalgia always hits the right string within me, but the okay ish quality of the games only add up to the dissatisfaction as a whole.

I've been very disappointed with where the industry is supported into going lately. Like there's literally shooters being made everywhere and there's nothing but praise for it when all that differs all these games from each other is minor. But the bigger the contrast, the more it makes me realise why I like nintendo so much. Nintendo is being treaten terribly as of right now, partially for legitimate reasons, but credit has got to be given where it's due. I'm with the underdog in this (supposed)game. It feels strange, but I have become a big fan of nintendo's work when I look back at everything I played in the last decade. The Nintendo experiences have sticked with me the most. That's why i've been very supportive to the SEGA partnership. 2 companies that have created the best memories for me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:52:58 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 05:21:48 pm »
Is the question "do you still like SEGA?" Or it is "do you like SEGA's current output and direction?", because they're two very different questions.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:08 pm »
Is the question "do you still like SEGA?" Or it is "do you like SEGA's current output and direction?", because they're two very different questions.

I'm talking about if you like Sega as of now. Their current output. I'm not asking 'do you like Sega's old games' or 'were you a Sega fan growing up'.

Obviously all of us (most of us at least) were Sega fans growing up, or used to love their output, that's why we are here. I'm asking do we still like modern Sega as of what they are doing now.

Right now I would have to say 'not really'. I like some of their games, but as I said, I wouldn't care in the slightest who published most of them because they are just IPs and studios that Sega purchased and basically let them carry on carrying on.

There was a brief resurgence with Sega pulling my heart-strings with their Platinum partnership and things like bringing Yakuza over again, but now both of those are in the toilet for whatever reason. There's really not much I'm interested in that's really 'Sega' in my eyes apart from a new VF. Having said that, I do have to give credit for finally bringing Final Showdown to consoles, fingers crossed we don't have to wait so long next time.
Infact they keep announcing new games before and after E3,all indications seem to point of another new game announcement next week..hint hint.e based on Wonder woman but didn't get the license so they called it something else.

I want to be excited, but as per this topic I'm expecting it to be something like Super Hang On: Card Battle - Exclusive to Nintendo 3DS and only available in Japan.

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »
Sega will always be a part of me. Growing up when I had my Sega Master System and had the greatest RPG adventure of my life that was Phantasy Star.

I played that game system well into the mid 1990's which is very odd for the USA. I had bought a Genesis later on which amazed me with its great sound and graphics and still play the greatest of them on my Nintendo Wii.

I had met my goal of getting my dream job of working for Sega during the launch of the Saturn and loved every single day of it commuting 80 miles each way from my Central Valley home in California. Sega will forever be in my blood with the style of games they produce and the memorable music to go with it (on of my arrangements was hosted here showing my love for NiGHTS Splash Garden)

It doesn't stop there, even Sega games on my phone will always be there. Classics like Sonic CD (which just got a iPhone 5 update today) and I couldn't be more pleased and happy to have played great Sega titles and also to have them as part of my life as a job.

Most people would have killed to have the luck I had working for Sega but I am forever humble and still proud of what I accomplished.

I don't like Sega. I fucking love Sega!
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 09:24:47 pm »
Once again I'm not talking about if you loved the Mega Drive (although it's always nice to hear people's memories of Sega past), I'm saying Sega as of right now. Do you still consider yourself a fan of Sega's output currently.

It's like, if you're only experience of Sega was the last year or so, would you be a fan of them over say, Ubisoft, EA or Activision?

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 11:04:34 pm »
No, right now I don't like SEGA at all! :'(

Doing a super summary of my thought, as long as the management of the Holding will be this or will prefer, as now, invest in hotel, casinĂ², building of commercial areas etc..., instead of devote to the development, production of consumer games (at least in amounts similar to that of a few years ago), beh.. our dear old SEGA will always be more a guest appearance in the vg world  >:(

One thing to close, perhaps SEGA is as always too far ahead :D,...    yes, in this case, so far ahead to cease to exist... :o

p.s.  until proven otherwise, with this policy the company keeps track of good balance sheets, although personally I would see anyway profitable, and even more, by investing in what we like.
SEGA STYLE

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 11:13:42 pm »
Once again I'm not talking about if you loved the Mega Drive (although it's always nice to hear people's memories of Sega past), I'm saying Sega as of right now. Do you still consider yourself a fan of Sega's output currently.

It's like, if you're only experience of Sega was the last year or so, would you be a fan of them over say, Ubisoft, EA or Activision?

Overall, I'd say yes. despite my broken PS3 at the moment, many games I've had on it were Sega titles either from PSN download or retail box copies of games my latest being Sonic Generations.

My PSN games included the rather awesome After Burner Climax. Still delivering a high action fast paced shooter not only with amazing visuals and a rock solid 60 fps but also so many unlockable bonuses that keep me coming back for more. It's possibly the best twitch shooter in my game collection. Sonic Generations was also a game that I feel was the best attempt at capturing both new and classic fans of Sonic without the level design driving you crazy playing as modern Sonic as but a bit more manageable as 'classic' Sonic and the side view perspective. One latest game I grabbed for my PS3 was the Daytona USA HD release. Arcade perfect in every way aside from the full 1080p update.

being that my PS3 needs some repairs (I want NiGHTS HD badly for it but the 120GB HDD is another issue) I'm left with three other options and one I already pulled the trigger for and that was Sonic Racing Transformed for the Wii U (a system that's popular to hate lately) but it looks and plays fantastic thanks to the demo on the Wii U eShop.

Games since E3 that I've been considering is the new Sonic exclusive for the 3DS and Wii U, but I'm hoping for a demo. I must admit that while I also like Nintendo, this new game is a bit too much in common with Super Mario Galaxy with what was shown at E3.

I'm not going to dismiss it on that alone but on the plus side, for Wii U owners, the fact that Sega is taking the extra step in fine visual details such as the blades of grass on the Wii U version and the fact that the 3DS is getting much the same game entirely

Bayonetta is a absolute must have. regardless of System, the game looks stunning

when it comes to my other gaming options. I'm thrilled that Sega has many great games on the iOS platform (iPhone and iPad) but either I've missed something or nothing really new has shown. I can say the same for any support from Sega on my other handheld that even Sony forgot about. The PS Vita...

A simple easy answer is a real tough one to give, I love Sega in general, but so many missteps have turned me into a far more cautious buyer.

After blindly buying new Sonic games for the Wii and mobile titles for my iPhone, many games still have yet to be updated to support the larger screen.

Another example of just out of touch they seem lately is the amazing revival of one of my favorite Genesis games. Coming for nearly all systems except would be the most natural 'family friendly platform', no remake for the Wii U which truly baffles me and also frustrates me as well.

Overall I think Sega is doing okay, but some decision-making at the top brass there now need replacement with publishing decisions.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:38 pm »
Right now I don't even touch my PS3 because I mostly play on PC. Right now playing with Spencer (who used to post here and own a SEGA blog himself) and a few others on Binary Domain Invasion. Too much fucking fun. Game really needs a sequel to iron out some kinks. PS4/One/PC please.