Poll

Would you like Toshiba to merge with Sega?

Yes
4 (40%)
No
4 (40%)
Maybe
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 30, 2013, 11:30:46 pm

Author Topic: Toshiba!  (Read 42624 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Toshiba!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 05:24:04 pm »
Another one of these?

One of the links that support this claim links back to Model 4, which is a site managed by Zach Morris, who has yet to be correct in any of his "SEGA is going to make a console claim!" so that source of information is already disputed.

Then all you have is ramblings on random forums of people discussing this idea, no weight behind the idea at all. Toshiba themselves have nothing to gain competing with Sony, Microsoft AND Nintendo, nor will they be brute muscling their way this late.

So no it will not happen.

3raser

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »
Another one of these?

One of the links that support this claim links back to Model 4, which is a site managed by Zach Morris, who has yet to be correct in any of his "SEGA is going to make a console claim!" so that source of information is already disputed.

Then all you have is ramblings on random forums of people discussing this idea, no weight behind the idea at all. Toshiba themselves have nothing to gain competing with Sony, Microsoft AND Nintendo, nor will they be brute muscling their way this late.

So no it will not happen.

Relax. Take a deep breath. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm not saying it will not happen. I'm just saying that it's a creative idea that Sega should maybe consider in the future. You are right when you say that these are only forums, but a lot of Sega fans support this idea. The original intention of this thread was not a console discussion. An electronics company that is linked to Japan and the United States would be a great route to take. I'm not saying they should do this right away. I'm saying that if they wait until they start making better games, then maybe an electronics company would be willing to buy them. If that's the case, then they could make even better games as a third party company.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:56:42 pm by 3raser »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »
You are really just basing this on your own assumption no? What stops Sony from purchasing SEGA? Nintendo? Microsoft? Apple? It really just comes to your average run of the mill "I think X should purchase SEGA and release a new console/return them to their former glory!"

SEGA fans supporting an idea does not make it a viable platform or else we would have Shenmue 3, Skies of Arcadia 2 and a whole host of other titles. Then we come onto SEGA's "quality" issue, they released close to 4 titles that would be consider GOTY last year, 7 if you really enjoyed all their output. So why the need to merge with Toshiba?

3raser

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »
You are really just basing this on your own assumption no? What stops Sony from purchasing SEGA? Nintendo? Microsoft? Apple? It really just comes to your average run of the mill "I think X should purchase SEGA and release a new console/return them to their former glory!"

SEGA fans supporting an idea does not make it a viable platform or else we would have Shenmue 3, Skies of Arcadia 2 and a whole host of other titles. Then we come onto SEGA's "quality" issue, they released close to 4 titles that would be consider GOTY last year, 7 if you really enjoyed all their output. So why the need to merge with Toshiba?

Please stop being so hostile. You are taking this far too seriously. I just said that I do not know if it will happen. I was just saying that it might be a good idea. That's all. I also said before that I was not speaking of a new console. You are the one that is making an assumption.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:55:20 pm by 3raser »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 01:49:32 am »
I know this is an incredibly small possibility, but now that the idea is in my head, a Toshiba-Sega merger for the purpose of re-entering the home console market has now become my hope.

Sega/Sammy won't do it on their own. They'll need the backing of another tech company and Toshiba has almost no overlap. It's really a perfect fit. Toshiba has no footprint in the gaming world so all of the gaming centric products would be sega branded.

Oh man, imagine the possibilities:

I mean we all flipped for the "Sega" laptops that were offered recently. That could be a regular gaming laptop series by Toshiba. Especially since Sega has carved out a PC gaming presence with their hold over RTS games. Want a tablet? Toshiba makes those. Get their Sega Version!

The cross promotion possibilities match perfectly.

And as for the console, does anyone have confidence in a new Sega console? Probably not, but would a Toshiba-Sega console be dismissed as easily anywhere? I think not. This could very well be the way we get all of those Sega games we love back to a single platform developed for those games.

As far as partners go, Toshiba is the sole one out there that is large enough, powerful enough, respected enough, and japanese enough to merge without having its own brand overshadow Sega.

Sega please, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 10:08:22 am »
I don't think Aki is being hostile in the slightest. And he can't be blamed for taking this seriously. What other way can we take speculation like this? I'd hate for people to not take speculation seriously, otherwise we'd all be semmie.

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 10:52:07 am »
I wouldn't agree to a merger.  Partnership, as what they've done with the laptops, absolutely.  I'll entertain this thought a little more...

With the branded laptops, can you imagine the resources SEGA would have for their Arcade division?  Upgraded models of RingWide to compete with TAITO's NESiCA network service?  Possibly worldwide releases of SEGA's special edition gaming laptops to help push their own service of games, much like Sega used to have of their online games service they had for awhile before it was hacked and brought down?  Toshiba would have server farms..  I wouldn't see how they couldn't let SEGA buy up some to house their network on and further establish the possibilities of a worldwide SEGA network to rival NESiCA.

As for home consoles, I doubt Toshiba would venture into something outside of TVs, BluRay Players, camcorders, and PCs.  IF they were to even think about something like that, it would be more akin to a home entertainment computer that would have a BluRay drive and access to SEGA's Online service, that would have a large backlog of all their games they currently have available on Steam with a SEGA dedicated service.  Would be killer if they then threw on online games, such as VF5:FS.  However, they've already brought that game to the current home consoles, so it would need to be more exclusive and newer games.

Honestly, I'd love for SEGA to bring back their dedicated online SEGA service in some form or another.  Classic and newer SEGA games, available for a small, monthly/yearly fee.  Free updates/patches.  Possibly include their mobile games as well and special incentives for members, such as give-aways, or the ability to purchase SEGA branded merchandise.

But why put such effort into that when SEGA also has quite a good footing with Steam?  So, with that in mind, it pretty much negates any of my thoughts. Outside of the special edition laptops, and the possibility of leveraging Toshiba's PC resources for their arcades, there's not much else there.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »
I just had a bombastic thought.

You guys know all about the "steam-cube" right? How about a Sega thing like that. Toshiba made, Sega branded living room gaming PC.
SEG4GES

3raser

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:00 pm »
I just had a bombastic thought.

You guys know all about the "steam-cube" right? How about a Sega thing like that. Toshiba made, Sega branded living room gaming PC.

Nice idea, but you should be careful. Acording to these guys you have to have proof. Otherwise it's offensive just because it's a new idea. They are only bumping the topic to the top of the page each time they post something negative. I have never seen anyone offended over a Sonic Adventure 3 topic, but we all know that's not going to happen. So why can there not be a rumor about this? I have no clue.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:09:53 pm by 3raser »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 04:50:04 am »
You're right! So sorry guize! was just jk k? jk lol jk jk

Seriously, we take console talk around here kinda serious because a while back there was some drama with some internet guy that made a Sega Ringedge hoax and used our usernames in his forums and things like that. Adding to that semmie's constant pressure of a new console, and it's easy to guess why most around here are kinda pissed at the subject.

I still believe a new Sega with Shenmue 3 and SA3 as launch titles wink wink
SEG4GES

3raser

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 06:00:16 pm »
I am not sure why everyone thinks I am talking about a Sega console. I am simply speaking of Toshiba buying Sega. Nothing more.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:10 am »
I was thinking of other companies Sega could join forces with, and I think the obvious choice would be French's, the mustard manufacturer.  They're diversified enough to have several other sauces and even mayonnaise-based condiments.  And forget about just the race to control the living room entertainment center -- a Sega/French's console could also take over the kitchen and dining room!  And how about if your achievements in a game not only added to an abstract score or imaginary trophy case -- how about if you got a hot sandwich from your console?

3raser

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 12:27:48 am »
I was thinking of other companies Sega could join forces with, and I think the obvious choice would be French's, the mustard manufacturer.  They're diversified enough to have several other sauces and even mayonnaise-based condiments.  And forget about just the race to control the living room entertainment center -- a Sega/French's console could also take over the kitchen and dining room!  And how about if your achievements in a game not only added to an abstract score or imaginary trophy case -- how about if you got a hot sandwich from your console?

Thanks for bumping the topic to the top of the page again.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 02:21:27 am »
Dammit now I'm going to have dreams about Toshiba purchasing Sega and funding a new console to come out.  Do you know how unbelievably cool that would be?  Too freaking cool.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 06:35:56 am »
What other way can we take speculation like this? I'd hate for people to not take speculation seriously, otherwise we'd all be semmie.

In this case I don't think it's such a bad thing, I mean in terms of not taking rumours seriously.

Toshiba...that's a name I haven't heard in awhile...what are their finances like since I haven't seen a TV from them in about 7 years. D:
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.