Author Topic: Let's talk about Final Fantasy 7.(overrated?)  (Read 13227 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Let's talk about Final Fantasy 7.(overrated?)
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 11:22:07 pm »
There it is again. It's as if something repeated many times over turns true

*looks in mirror*

...Candyman...Candyman...Candy-ahhh

Offline Tad

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 03:11:01 am »
Been looking through my old Final Fantasy games lately to see if my opinion has changed. Seems as though there's only been a slight change.

FF6 - couldn't get into it. I think the overcooked story and characters made it difficult for me.

FF7 - great setting and some truly memorable characters combined with a decent - sometimes - great story. Still don't like the difficulty spike nor the materia "slot" system.

FF8 - a very different setup from the others and it stands out because of it. I liked the story of Squall dealing with psychological scares from his past and the junction system. My only two negatives is the draw system and the ending. It wrapped it up fine, but I wish we had just a bit more after the battle.

FF9 - I wasn't a fan of the presentation of this, but it's still good.

FF10 - this is probably my favourite now. It's easy to pick fault with the acting etc now, but few games back then were able to pull something like this off. Each character in the group had a role and a place in the story, and everything was thought out from start to end. My only issue is the sphere system.

FFX-2 - I thought this was unnecessary really. Tidus had returned at the end of FFX despite the departure and FFx-2 seemed to pretend he hadn't. It was an okay game overall and it was nice to see the characters and world again.

FF12 - This is were I lost interestin the series and for good reason. This was truly an awful game for me with characters I couldn't care less about and a world that seemed very thrown together. The combat was ripped straight out of an online MMO. Meh.

FF13 - played it years later and simply got bored of the story not going anywhere.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:14:55 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 04:21:43 am »
Revisiting this thread, I believe FF7 Disc 1 is one of the best gaming experiences of its time.
The other Discs...no so much. The FF7 hype is mostly based on the Midgar section, which is totally legit
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 12:50:52 am »
It will be interesting to see how the changes in the remake sit with people. I know one complaint about FF7 Advent Child was how the characters were almost flying around. I didn't mind personally as this is a completely different world to ours and from the word go they're able to bend physics. Heck, you could even just put it down to a spell.

Just finished replaying FF8 and I still don't understand how so many people misinterpreted the ending. I know it's an old game, but spoilers below:

People assume the whole game is a loop, but it really isn't. After Squall and co defeat Ultimecia the world etc moves on like normal. Yes, Ultimecia raises to become the next sorceress, but she also triggers her own downfall by trying to prevent it.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:18:35 am by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 10:01:13 am »
Way way overrated . The story and cast of chacaters was pretty rubbish and did nothing for me . Lunar 1 and II are so much better its iuntrue
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 11:08:39 am »
Just out of curiosity, how do people rank the series?  Here's mine:

FF8
FF10
FF7
FF9
FF10-2
FF12

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 11:41:59 am »
I like 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, 13

Haven't played 3, 6, 11, 12
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 12:09:35 pm »
Interesting question

Played most of em of which I liked 5,6,7,9,12.
I'd rank em: 7>5>6>9>12

The ones I hated are 8 and 13.

Offline Tad

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 12:53:13 pm »
I should probably go back and play anything before seven, but I really struggle to play those types of games.

Interesting that you put 9 near the end. I did enjoy it too, but I found the story a bit too convoluted towards the end. Wasn't a fan of the look either.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:58:20 pm by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 11:39:27 pm »
I liked 9 and 12 but also seen the likes of Vagrant Story as the better Square RPG .  But when it games to RPG's nothing beat GameArts with their Lunar's and the original Grandia, not even Saga was as good as them imo.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 03:17:39 am »
I tend to struggle with pixel art games. I'm sure they're good, but the limited look always puts me off - hence why there's nothing before FF7 on my list.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 03:20:53 am by Tad »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 05:03:23 am »
I should probably go back and play anything before seven, but I really struggle to play those types of games.

Interesting that you put 9 near the end. I did enjoy it too, but I found the story a bit too convoluted towards the end. Wasn't a fan of the look either.
I'd recommend the more gameplay and less story heavy 5. The pacing for that game is really nice and the music too. It's actually one of the lesser mentioned ones, which I hope isn't a sign that it may be just me lol

I am playing 9 right now btw, and I agree. Loved it to death but havent touched it for a while because of that lol.

Offline Tad

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 11:22:47 am »
Ohh, I'll take a look. Also just out of interest, why no love for 8? :(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:24:32 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:24 am »
Because it sucks
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 02:09:40 pm »
Because it sucks

I do hear it's the game that people either like or just hate. Ah well, different tastes etc.