Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Drugs  (Read 6925 times)

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
Drugs
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:43:35 am »
Just curious. Do you drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Drugs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:53:27 am »
Neither. Never got the taste for alcohol and couldn't care less for smoking.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:17:58 am »
I drink, not heavily, but I do not smoke. I have tried a cigarette a few times, and have smoked a few cigars, but I pretty much detest smoking. I hate when people toss their butts into the street and on the sidewalks, and I hate commuters who smoke while they walk, leaving you in their path of smoke. I'd rather they walk on their hands and fart in my face, because at least then I am not getting secondhand lung cancer.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:06:19 pm »
Don't smoke. I'm a very light drinker, I might toss some beers here and there, but I only touch the heavier stuff at parties and social events. The last time I went on a serious drinking binge was on my best bud's bachelor party, ever since that unforunate event one glass of wine and that's that!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 02:06:28 pm »
The problem is that too many people drink to get drunk, when really they should drink to enjoy the taste of the drink and the buzz is just an added benefit. When I grab a beer or wine or cocktail, it's because I want to taste something I like. I'm not going to toss back cheap shit and I'm not drinking to get wasted.

I worked with a few people who would do just that. They'd go to a bar after work, drink a bunch of Miller and Coors, and get wasted after a few hours. One time I came along, but only had 45 mins to be there, so I got a Boddington's on tap. I was asked "what's the point in having one?". It was so weird, like... the point is I like Boddington's on tap? Why should I explain?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:53:00 pm »
I don't really drink, I do smoke but not cigs. I mean, cannabis is legal in California with a doctor's recommendation. Tobacco is bad for ya, not that smoking in general isn't bad, but not as bad as tobacco.

Offline Tad

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 05:19:31 pm »
I've been very unsure on the whole argument of cannabis being legal. I get that it's mainly okay, but at the same time, I do wonder if people using it as a way of escaping their problems is actually good for you either.

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 05:38:26 am »
Hum, well I don't have physical issues I just got it because I like to smoke here and again, I don't like drinking much and think its easier to just smoke and relax. I don't smoke to 'escape' anything. Though at that point what is escapism and is it safe? I know people that play games to escape reality. Nothing wrong with that. Also its also a social thing (in the way that drinking is), at least in California.

I personally think its personal responsibility. If you are an adult and want to smoke a plant, you should be able to. I think there are bigger issues in the world than cannabis.

Offline Tad

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 05:47:53 am »
All true, but as history has shown, a percentage of people tend to fall into a trap of abusing things and I do wonder if legalise something like cannabis would just become another one of those things where it's used to escape reality. Heck, thinking about it, if alcohol was only just discovered, I can't see it being legal. Abused, it's far more dangerous than cannabis.

Escapism is fine of course, but there does become a point where it becomes dangerous - yes, even in games.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 11:33:51 am »
I had a wild youth, but was always unhappy with what I was doing. Quitting it all made me a lot clearer in my head. I remember becoming very slow in my communication skills also forgetting words very often when I was still blazing.

Nowadays I like to be as healthy as possible and maintaining myself.

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 02:14:14 pm »
All true, but as history has shown, a percentage of people tend to fall into a trap of abusing things and I do wonder if legalise something like cannabis would just become another one of those things where it's used to escape reality. Heck, thinking about it, if alcohol was only just discovered, I can't see it being legal. Abused, it's far more dangerous than cannabis.

Escapism is fine of course, but there does become a point where it becomes dangerous - yes, even in games.
I agree I know a few people that 'abuse it' but they are adults. I think saying 'None of you get this because there are irresponsible people that will get high all day and do nothing', which is funny because those same adults abuse alcohol but making that illegal isn't even a point of discussion anywhere. Not to mention abusing alcohol is terrible for your body and leads to lots of tax payers cost: 249 billion for misuse issues, fourth leading preventable cost of death in the US etc.

I agree that there are people that abuse anything, including being addicted to the internet, video games and even food; but what is the solution? Having food, game, and internet allowance? I think you are letting the Goverment's war on cannabis distort your view of the plant. It isn't addictive, it isn't killing you like over drinking and not everyone that does it is a lazy hippy.

My biggest issue is that it is a schedule 1 drug meaning that we can't have medical research. Its crazy, really considering that we already know the positive effects, but why is there such a opposition without any prove and why is the DEA so against it? Same with LSD, the negative stuff is like 99% propaganda by the government. (not saying it should be legalized but we SHOULD at least let people that study medicine study these drugs)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:26:17 pm by George »

Offline Spock

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:27:22 pm »
I agree that marijuana should be legal, but only for medicinal purposes. I don't want to see some jackasses driving down the road while smoking a joint. If they did, it would cause so many accidents. To be fair, I'm sure texting would cause more though.

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 04:47:27 am »
Hum I disagree because making something legal for home use doesn't mean its legal for driving. For example drinking is legal, but not when driving. Texting is legal, not when driving. Same rules should apply for driving.

Is smoking and driving a big issue? I live in California and I can guarantee you its not a epidemic here.

Medical use is still better than what we have no federally so I guess its something. I just think your assuming if you legalize it, it means its OK to smoke all the time during work and driving which I disagree with.

Offline Spock

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:11:08 am »
Hum I disagree because making something legal for home use doesn't mean its legal for driving. For example drinking is legal, but not when driving. Texting is legal, not when driving. Same rules should apply for driving.

Is smoking and driving a big issue? I live in California and I can guarantee you its not a epidemic here.

Medical use is still better than what we have no federally so I guess its something. I just think your assuming if you legalize it, it means its OK to smoke all the time during work and driving which I disagree with.
I can see what you're saying, but there are a lot of chemicals mixed in with it that are very dangerous to people's health. I think it should be legal as a medical option only if it is pure cannabis. Smoking it recreationaly would be ok too if it was more expensive than medically. I also think if cigarettes are less healthy, then the government should not ban marijuana whilst cigarettes are legal. I just don't think marijuana should be done while driving. There will actually be a law that goes into effect on October 1st that states you cannot smoke a cigarette while driving if children are in the car.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 01:57:06 pm »
I can see what you're saying, but there are a lot of chemicals mixed in with it that are very dangerous to people's health. I think it should be legal as a medical option only if it is pure cannabis. Smoking it recreationaly would be ok too if it was more expensive than medically. I also think if cigarettes are less healthy, then the government should not ban marijuana whilst cigarettes are legal. I just don't think marijuana should be done while driving. There will actually be a law that goes into effect on October 1st that states you cannot smoke a cigarette while driving if children are in the car.
I can agree with this. Only, if marajuana was legal for recreational use, then what's to stop people from using it while driving? Alcohol induced driving causes thousands of deaths every year. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean people will stop trying it.