Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 722016 times)

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2310 on: November 23, 2014, 02:52:36 pm »
Still trying to beat Star Wars Arcade for 32X. I've finally figured out my way 'round the Super Star Destroyer. Now I keep dying at the Death Star. The Tie-Fighters accuracy greatly improves and they're far more accomplished pilots. Seriously, it's frustrating. Loving it though.

Playing Super Mario 64 (N64) and Wolfenstein 3D (PS3). I've beaten Mario 64 once before, but it's been over a decade.

Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2311 on: November 24, 2014, 03:15:01 am »
Darksiders is pretty much Zelda: Grimdark Edition. Not that it's a bad thing, I thought it was quite good for what it was. Give it some time, I personally thought it was good. Don't expect combat to be even close to Bayo though, it's more about exploration and whatnot.
Think of sticking with bayonetta for a while. not a good idea perhaps to play DS Next to bayonetta, which is btw kicking my ass! Let me breathe for a second will ya XP

@pirovash. I love the game. Sad to hear about losing your progression. The last couple of hours are worrth getting to.Finished it a second time and liked it even more so id definitly give it another try. Any directors cut copies[size=78%] among the 3?[/size]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:03:05 am by CrazyT »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2312 on: November 24, 2014, 08:34:28 am »
Did you guys play the original Deus Ex as well? HR is fantastic, but the original is even better IMO. I'm well overdue for a re-play of that game come to think of it.

CrazyT, what's giving you issue in Bayo in particular? it is a relentless game though, I can relate to that!

As for myself, been playing VF a lot with friends, trying to learn Lau. He's so different to my main of Wolf, it's so much fun to play an entirely different character. It's even fun to just yell out 'OYEAAAAAAAAAH' when you do his spinning kicks and 'YOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!' when you do his back-throw.

I finished Binary Domain last weekend. It was pretty good, but I don't really get the love for this title to be honest. Had it's moments but overall I found it kind of dull and was just waiting to be done with it by the end.

Oh, also I got my stick working on my PC finally. Anyone on here play on GGPO in North America?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:13:40 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2313 on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:31 am »
Really should get around playing the first game if you say it's better. I can handle "primitive" games. I didnt get far after the tutorial. Ill check it out soon especially now with the cold coming i'll be home more often.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #2314 on: November 25, 2014, 08:03:08 am »
I finished Binary Domain last weekend. It was pretty good, but I don't really get the love for this title to be honest. Had it's moments but overall I found it kind of dull and was just waiting to be done with it by the end.

You are a monster Luke.

Think I'm nearing the end of The Evil Within. I got to admit it's been nice limiting myself to playing a game an hour a day and not rushing myself. I've got Mount & Blade and Valkyria Chronicles lined up as the replacement once I'm done with this so there's that and sometime in December I want to try picking up some Vita games, it's a toss up between Hatsune Miku, Killzone: Mercenary and Soul Sacrifice Delta for me.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2315 on: November 25, 2014, 08:18:11 am »
Really should get around playing the first game if you say it's better. I can handle "primitive" games. I didnt get far after the tutorial. Ill check it out soon especially now with the cold coming i'll be home more often.

Oh definitely do it. It's on GOG and Steam for pretty cheap if you don't have it already.
Playing older games always takes a little while to adjust to graphics and maybe controls, but I find that within about 30 minutes I'm into the groove.

The opening level/tutorial is a bit tough, but persevere through it. It really has insane amounts of freedom. When you start playing let me know, I might start a playthrough at the same time and we can see just how different each of our games plays out. The story doesn't change drastically a-la Witcher 2, but the way you solve every situation can be done in multiple ways.

You are a monster Luke.

Think I'm nearing the end of The Evil Within. I got to admit it's been nice limiting myself to playing a game an hour a day and not rushing myself. I've got Mount & Blade and Valkyria Chronicles lined up as the replacement once I'm done with this so there's that and sometime in December I want to try picking up some Vita games, it's a toss up between Hatsune Miku, Killzone: Mercenary and Soul Sacrifice Delta for me.

I'm not trolling when I comment on Binary Domain, I really don't get the love. It's a pretty good TPS game, but I didn't feel anything really stood out. The story was okay and the characters were good, but it felt like it didn't know if it wanted to be serious or silly. I know that Yakuza has silly stuff all the time and I love it for it, but the whole Yakuza world seems to be based in sillyness (sidequests and dialogue and over the top happenings all around) whereas Binary Domain seemed to try and keep everything really plausible/futurey and then when something over the top happened it just seemed retarded or like lazy writing.

Glad you're enjoying Evil Within! I do want to pick that up at some point.

Let me know what Mountain Blade is like, I got that a while back as well and I'm keen to see what it's like.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:20:56 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #2316 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:16 am »
I'm not trolling when I comment on Binary Domain, I really don't get the love. It's a pretty good TPS game, but I didn't feel anything really stood out. The story was okay and the characters were good, but it felt like it didn't know if it wanted to be serious or silly. I know that Yakuza has silly stuff all the time and I love it for it, but the whole Yakuza world seems to be based in sillyness (sidequests and dialogue and over the top happenings all around) whereas Binary Domain seemed to try and keep everything really plausible/futurey and then when something over the top happened it just seemed retarded or like lazy writing.

I know you're not trolling, that's why I think your a monster Luke.

Thank the heavens that an OCEAN separates us or I would find you and force you to play Dead Souls again for hating Binary Domain.

On a serious note, I personally loved the locale, the baddies, the characters and the majority of the boss fights were amazing, they really felt like something I would play from the 90s and maybe that was the problem for you? The game follows a more arcadey design. Less tactical in defeating the baddies and more about going gung-ho crazy?

(Also I would recommend The Evil Within but now that you weren't too impressed with Binary Domain I'm just not sure anymore!)

And sure on Mount & Blade, I've been really interested in trying it but didn't get the opportunity until now, can't wait to give it a try after finishing The Evil Within.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2317 on: November 25, 2014, 09:17:21 am »
I know you're not trolling, that's why I think your a monster Luke.

Thank the heavens that an OCEAN separates us or I would find you and force you to play Dead Souls again for hating Binary Domain.

If there wasn't an OCEAN seperating us, we could be playing VF together :(

On a serious note, I personally loved the locale, the baddies, the characters and the majority of the boss fights were amazing, they really felt like something I would play from the 90s and maybe that was the problem for you? The game follows a more arcadey design. Less tactical in defeating the baddies and more about going gung-ho crazy?

(Also I would recommend The Evil Within but now that you weren't too impressed with Binary Domain I'm just not sure anymore!)

And sure on Mount & Blade, I've been really interested in trying it but didn't get the opportunity until now, can't wait to give it a try after finishing The Evil Within.

See it's actually the opposite. I LIKED the more action-y stuff (don't forget Bayonetta is one of my all time favourite games, and I would rather play Vanquish over this game any day of the week) but felt that the game got too bogged down in 'Take cover, shoot heads. Wait for strawberry jelly to come off the screen. Shoot heads, Shoot heads. Wait. Move.'

The game didn't feel exciting or action packed at all to me, and I found the environments to be very samey and kind of dull most of the time, and the robots were very slow and plodding enemies to fight against. I liked that they started to mix things up with the Ninja bots and those little filing cabinets with machine guns, but it was too little too late, and really the Ninja bots were a bit shit. They just spun around a lot and would knock you down and it would be really frustrating since they would just teleport away from your gunfire. I still appreciated them more than the usual clothing store mannequins I was shooting most of the game.

As for the bosses, I felt they were very hit an miss. I loved the Chandelier boss for being different and fun, ditto the Biker Mice from Mars guy. On the other hand, I felt the gorilla overstayed his welcome and even his intro was very uninspired with 'shoot the explosives when he gets close'. Then the bit in the warehouse was just frustrating as he would just 1-hit KO you if you tried to use the gun so it was better to just roll around and shoot him. I also didn't really like some of the other generic 'Wait, that big glowing thing is a weak point! Shoot that for thirty minutes!'
The Spider was a middle ground.

I also just hated the AI, the commands didn't seem to do anything at all, and people would often run in front of me while I was firing my gun and get shot then get cross with me. The interaction with team members seemed to be limited to 'Say a non committal 'Yeah'' or just be a dick or throw out a non-sequiter 'SHIT' or 'GOD DAMN'. I was expecting much more from that aspect considering how much it was meant to be a focus and even Mass Effect has better squad interaction.

I think I would have preferred the game if there was more incentive to use different weapons (the AR you upgrade is just too good at everything, save for the occasional rocket launcher) because of different situations and tactics. Hell it would have been better if it had more and better boss fights rather than 'Yo shoot this robots head a whole bunch' and it's 'Difficult' because they throw in trash enemies to distract you and he can 1 hit kill you in cover.

ALSO WHY DOES CAIN USE SYRINGES TO HEAL HIMSELF?

This isn't all to say I don't appreciate slower more tactical shooters and games too by the way.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2318 on: November 25, 2014, 12:08:48 pm »
I remember liking the sound effects in binary domain at least :P. Not gonna say too much but I did like the game. Seeing the robots  scatter and explode felt nice. I think  that's what makes the game stand out because other than that it was your typical tps. Oh yeah the bosses were pretty awesome too.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #2319 on: November 25, 2014, 12:15:29 pm »
I meant as in your shooters Mang, you like Gears of War for example but I don't. I just find it tedious and boring and everything in it was forgettable, nothing stood out for me whilst for Binary Domain, almost everything stood out. It was a competently made shooter with some great enemy designs, fun bosses, great locales and cool characters, it just had a lot of heart.

Ah well, at least you won't have to worry about a sequel!

And just for disrespecting Nagoshi's honour, I'm going to spoil Yakuza 5 for you next time I see you on Skype.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2320 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »
I meant as in your shooters Mang, you like Gears of War for example but I don't. I just find it tedious and boring and everything in it was forgettable, nothing stood out for me whilst for Binary Domain, almost everything stood out. It was a competently made shooter with some great enemy designs, fun bosses, great locales and cool characters, it just had a lot of heart.

Ah well, at least you won't have to worry about a sequel!

And just for disrespecting Nagoshi's honour, I'm going to spoil Yakuza 5 for you next time I see you on Skype.

You dare ruin Yakuza for me, and I'll have no choice but to ruin the plot of Virtua Fighter 6! SPOILERS - Jeffry is still looking for the bloody Satan Shark.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2321 on: November 25, 2014, 03:55:55 pm »
Mademan, i played it years back, but never finished it too. I think i still have the game attached to my Steam Account.

Crazy Tails - I actually don't have the Director's Cut, i have it on Steam, PS3, and X360. Is the DC that much better?
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2322 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:58 pm »
Mademan, i played it years back, but never finished it too. I think i still have the game attached to my Steam Account.

Crazy Tails - I actually don't have the Director's Cut, i have it on Steam, PS3, and X360. Is the DC that much better?

The three of us should do a playthrough of original Deus Ex !!

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2323 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:09 pm »
That would be awesome, only problem is, I dont have a working Pc. I just have a shit netbook. I'll probably look into getting a laptop around cyber Monday.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2324 on: November 26, 2014, 03:09:22 am »
Seen the Black Friday deals on Media Markt from Nov. 27th to Nov. 30th.

One word: LAAAME!