Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm and announces new Star Wars movies  (Read 22136 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm and announces new Star Wars movies
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 02:13:15 pm »
Intriguing new rumor:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx?More_Star_Wars_news_Are_spinoffs_in_the_future/58-17951

Boba Fett, the movie? Han Solo in a solo project? These ideas may not seem as far-fetched as they once were.

It was reported a little over a week ago that Lawrence Kasdan (“The Empire Strikes Back,” “Return of the Jedi”) and Simon Kinberg (“X-Men: The Last Stand,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past”) had been signed to write scripts for future Star Wars movies. It was assumed at the time that they would be penning Episodes VIII and IX.

That may not be the case. The Hollywood Reporter reported on Wednesday that Kasdan and Kinberg will be working on “separate projects.” According to the Reporter’s source, that means their stories could end up folding into the primary storyline and become future installments of the main franchise or they could turn into spinoffs.

Disney has already had great success with movie spinoffs via Marvel Studios, so it’s not surprising to see them considering this route. There are a million possible stories to be told in the Star Wars universe. Diehard fans might prefer creating a “Star Wars Cinematic Universe” to go alongside the “Star Wars Expanded Universe” rather than the former overwriting the latter as canon.

This also opens up the possibility of stealing from other parts of the Expanded Universe for future films, going back thousands of years to tell the story of the early Jedi like in the Knights of the Old Republic video games or the origin of the Sith. Maybe we’ll see a movie based on Han Solo’s younger years, or the fanboy dream of a bounty hunter movie centered on Boba Fett. Or a Rogue Squadron movie with Wedge Antilles and Corran Horn.

The task will be more difficult than building the Marvel Cinematic Universe in some ways. The early Marvel films all built toward “The Avengers” and were working from scratch in distinct settings, so they were allowed to remain largely independent while weaving in bits of story that tied them together in the same larger picture. In essence, Marvel started with the “spin-offs” and used them to build toward the primary movie series. Also, expectations weren’t through the roof until the success of “Iron Man” got things rolling.

Star Wars will be going the other direction, and it’s hard to follow a successful franchise in a way that will appeal to the masses. Sure, diehard fans would love to see movies centered around their favorite characters, but would the average moviegoer turn out just for Boba Fett?

And there just aren’t a lot of successful movie spinoffs out there. Remember “Catwoman” with Halle Berry? Or the made-for-TV “Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure?” Failed remakes are a lot more common than hits.

Chances are Disney will be careful with any possible Star Wars movies, but there’s a lot of risk in moving outside the main storyline. Star Wars has a broader appeal than many franchises, so it might work, but it’s a definite gamble if Disney decides to take it.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »
I'm probably the only one here old enough to have seen all of them in their original theatrical run.  I had Star Wars toys in the '70's.  Anyway, I agree with Barry.  What good comes from tearing apart the prequels?  I think the people who have this idealized and unrealistic memory of the original movies.  Mark Hamil wasn't the world's best actor, and a lot of the dialogue was affected and strange. 

Just before Return of the Jedi came out, I remember reading a Time Magazine article in a Doctor's office waiting room (it had a big glossy picture of the Rancor monster.  I couldn't wait) but in that, George Lucas said he planned to eventually make episodes 1,2,3 and 7,8,9.  Of course not during my childhood, but I kept waiting and waiting, and I liked them.  Especially episode 3.  As to the episodes 7,8,9 maybe he changed his mind more than once about doing that, but they are happening now, and I think it will be fun.  I have a son who might be old enough to see episode 7 and be bowled over the way I was with episode 4. 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 04:43:27 pm »
I envy parents with kids who will be the perfect age when ep VII hits. A friend of mine has a kid who will be 4 when VII hits, wonder if I can tag along just to see a kid watching a SW movie for the first time.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »
I remember around 1999 I didn't see The Phantom Menace in theaters, but I was pretty aware of it via merchandising and I even dressed up as Anakin and my older sister dressed as "Queen Amidala" for Halloween. Revenge of the Sith is the only Star Wars I've seen in theaters that I can recall. I've been to movie theaters when I was pretty young, but at one point during my childhood they used to scare me until my family got me to see Elf in a theater.